Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Whats the difference between the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4?

I'm a long time Mac user - Been using Macs for as long as I've been using computers ... Anyway, I'm looking to buy an iPhone now, and I'm wondering what the difference is between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4? And why does Apple sell them BOTH still? They haven't done that with any of their Mac products before.

Thanks!
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
Quote:
And why does Apple sell them BOTH still? They haven't done that with any of their Mac products before.
First of all, yes they have. Remember the aluminum MacBook? They sold the white one along with that.

Differences:
Casing-iPhone 3GS has a plastic casing while the iPhone 4 has a glass/stainless steel casing.
Antenna-the iPhone 3GS has an internal antenna while the iPhone 4 has an external antenna.
Gyro-The iPhone 4 has a gyroscope while the iPhone 3GS does not.
Screen-The iPhone 4 has a hi-res Retina display while the iPhone 3GS does not.
Camera-the iPhone 4 has a 5mp camera that can record in HD and has a flash. The iPhone 3GS has a 3.2mp camera without a flash.
Processor: iPhone 4 has an Apple A4 chip while the iPhone 3GS has a 600MHz ARM Cortex A8 chip.
__________________
15" 2.66GHz C2D uMBP | 13" 2.4GHz i5 MBP 500GB | '07 MacBook
iPhone 6 64GB | iPhone 5 32GB | iPhone 8GB
אין חשיש בקולורדו
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Reach9
macrumors 68020
 
Reach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In America
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
I'm a long time Mac user - Been using Macs for as long as I've been using computers ... Anyway, I'm looking to buy an iPhone now, and I'm wondering what the difference is between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4? And why does Apple sell them BOTH still? They haven't done that with any of their Mac products before.

Thanks!
Big difference. If you're looking into buying an iPhone, you should wait 3 more months and get the iPhone 5.
They sell both of them so people can get a cheaper alternative to the newest device. When the iPhone 5 comes out, the iPhone 4 will become the cheaper one.

Here's a good comparison of them:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/0...ns-comparison/
Reach9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Dandrews524
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
I'm a long time Mac user - Been using Macs for as long as I've been using computers ... Anyway, I'm looking to buy an iPhone now, and I'm wondering what the difference is between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4? And why does Apple sell them BOTH still? They haven't done that with any of their Mac products before.

Thanks!
iPhone 3gs vs. iPhone 4
Dandrews524 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:57 PM   #5
mgmusicman94
macrumors 6502a
 
mgmusicman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
First of all, yes they have. Remember the aluminum MacBook? They sold the white one along with that.

Differences:
Casing-iPhone 3GS has a plastic casing while the iPhone 4 has a glass/stainless steel casing.
Antenna-the iPhone 3GS has an internal antenna while the iPhone 4 has an external antenna.
Gyro-The iPhone 4 has a gyroscope while the iPhone 3GS does not.
Screen-The iPhone 4 has a hi-res Retina display while the iPhone 3GS does not.
Camera-the iPhone 4 has a 5mp camera that can record in HD and has a flash. The iPhone 3GS has a 3.2mp camera without a flash.
Processor: iPhone 4 has an Apple A4 chip while the iPhone 3GS has a 600MHz ARM Cortex A8 chip.
You forgot the front camera.
mgmusicman94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:03 PM   #6
mrsir2009
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ah ok, it seems like the iPhone 3GS is like a MacBook while the iPhone 4 is like a MacBook Pro. Got it

And yeah, I certainly will wait for the iPhone 5 - I made the mistake when buying my latest iMac and my MBP...
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
if you can wait, get the new one that is supposed to come out around july or get the iPhone 4 at a cheaper price on that same month.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Game Cheat for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation) Mjasa iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Sep 14, 2013 08:25 AM
Game Cheat for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation) mja050 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Apr 8, 2013 09:22 AM
Accelometer reading difference in iPhone 3GS, iPod 5 and iPhone 4 RaoNawaz iOS 5 and earlier 3 Mar 13, 2013 06:52 AM
Ok.... Whats the big difference?? coolweirdo MacBook Pro 58 Oct 19, 2012 10:45 AM
Whats the difference between these two books teamrusnac iPhone/iPad Programming 3 Jun 27, 2012 12:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC