Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThReMiX

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
I would like to say first that I am not a scalper!!!

I found an ipad 2 at bestbuy open box, so I bought it and sold it on ebay for a cool $100 :cool:

But, the person said they never got it... I have the fedex shipping and tracking, I also called fedex and they said that some one by the name of laura signed for it..

anything ells I can do to protect me?

Ava's Meeshee

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
As long as the entire transaction and communication was through eBay your tracking info is all the proof you need to keep your money.

ThReMiX

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
paypal.. I shipped to a Confirmed address...

with fedex and signed for by a person laura

mcarbl

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the opposite problem. I bought an iPad 2 on eBay, but the package came, I opened it and....nothing. There was another package inside, from different sender, for a different recipient with separate tracking labels on.

Both my package and the 'inner' package were opened by uk customs. Looks like some courier has light fingers. Dammit

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Well if it was a white 16gb. Looks like its up for auction by that seller....

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-SEALE...=US_Tablets&hash=item1e6277ef57#ht_500wt_1156

If this is the case I hope you kept a picture of the SN on the back of the box. Thats pretty bold if the guys claiming he didnt get it only to re-list right away.

On a seperate note I paid an extra $4 per item shipping via Fed Ex for something called Direct signature required. The person its addressed to must sign for it, not some random 3rd party. As much CYA and I could

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
The "I didn't receive it" scam is very popular on EBay these days for whatever reason.

I have heard of it used on here and other tech forums several times in the last week alone

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Golden. You're fine OP. All the buyer can do is file a claim through eBay and once you present tracking as proof the case is closed.

Scnenario: seller ships an ipad to confirmed address, has tracking info, and direct signature required. what if the buyer claims the box was empty or had 3 pounds of crap instead of an ipad?

I'm only asking b/c I would fear selling such a high dollar item on ebay for this very reason. I could everything right, but get a buyer who decides scamming is the way to go. Would ebay still side with the seller?

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
I found an ipad 2 at bestbuy open box, so I bought it and sold it on ebay for a cool $100 :cool:

Pardon me for being dense, but I don't understand (and this probably has nothing to do with your thread, I am just intrigued). You found an iPad 2 at best buy open box, and sold it for $100.00. You mean $100 profit? Or you actually sold an iPad2 for $100.00. I'll assume you meant profit. Otherwise that person on eBay got the deal of the century! And is the dumbest for pushing a good thing ;)

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Scnenario: seller ships an ipad to confirmed address, has tracking info, and direct signature required. what if the buyer claims the box was empty or had 3 pounds of crap instead of an ipad?

I'm only asking b/c I would fear selling such a high dollar item on ebay for this very reason. I could everything right, but get a buyer who decides scamming is the way to go. Would ebay still side with the seller?

I don't know if its worth anything if it came down to it, but I have started photographing the item as its boxed up, boxed, and with shipping lablels.

eBay has turned into a scam fest of late. I'd like to think there are honest people out there, but it seems like they dont use eBay or Craigslist.

mcarbl

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

^ this is what happened to me. I have bought an iPad 2 and received an empty box.

I have phoned eBay and been in contact with seller. I have to return empty packing to him (at request of USPS) and it is down to the seller to find out what happened. eBay say it is the seller's responsibility to ensure the item is received.

It's annoying because one of us will be out of pocket until the claim is resolved.

ThReMiX

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
as a buyer, I would have video of the mail man giving me the box and me opening it up, or have the mail man there as I open it...

epgoldie

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
I don't know if its worth anything if it came down to it, but I have started photographing the item as its boxed up, boxed, and with shipping lablels.

eBay has turned into a scam fest of late. I'd like to think there are honest people out there, but it seems like they dont use eBay or Craigslist.

but if its just pictures, anyone can switch up the item before it goes into the box. or just send out a different box.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
as a buyer, I would have video of the mail man giving me the box and me opening it up, or have the mail man there as I open it...

Yeah...but you (AFAIK!) are not a scam buyer. A scammer would not want to go this route, and a seller obviously couldn't require FedEx (or other delivery service) to wait for the package to be opened upon receipt.

It's just too easy for the unethical to scam a seller on eBay I think. A seller can only do so much to CYA...

mcarbl

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Birmingham, UK

As an excited buyer I didn't even think to video myself opening my package :(

I've now got to mail an empty box back to the US and hope the refund process isnt too drawn out.

ThReMiX

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Any way I can get the law involved? Any one know anything about this?

mcarbl

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Birmingham, UK

I think it's the down to the seller to use the buyer protection thing and then eBay will contact you, as the seller, to try and sort it out.

As fedex have proof of signature/delivery, I'm sure eBay will be on your side when they contact you

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Sounds like you did everything right, signature upon delivery, tracking number.

eBay/paypal should side with you.

ThReMiX

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
I'm still worried :mad:

I will never deal with eBay again, I was totally happy, I looked at it like I got an iPad 2 for $450 with the finding of the open box... Again I'm not a reseller, And after this, I sure as heck wont be! Lol

I don't see how people do it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.