Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I tried to sell my iPad1 on eBay, which resulted in a 0-feedback buyer using "buy it now" and asking me to ship it to Nigeria (despite my description stating that I will only ship it to a Paypal verified US address).

The Nigerian scam seems so common on eBay now and there's not a lot you can do about it. The eBay buyer requirement settings are ridiculous. You can't block 0-feedback buyers, only buyers with negative feedback (which isn't even possible anymore on eBay). You can block buyers registered in certain countries, but the Nigerian scammers just register in the US and ask you to ship to Nigeria. You can require immediate payment, but hidden in there is a Paypal policy which restricts immediate payment only for business and premium Paypal accounts. So, not a lot you can do to prevent someone from ending your auction, incurring commissions, and trying to scam you.

The whole thing is ridiculous. After the 8-day claim process at eBay, I finally got my Final Value Fee (commission) back, but they won't refund my listing fee.

I sold it on Craigslist within 4 hours.

nadaclue

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
I would like to say first that I am not a scalper!!!

I found an ipad 2 at bestbuy open box, so I bought it and sold it on ebay for a cool $100 :cool:

Sorry but what you did is scalping. To buy something for the purpose of reselling for a profit is scalping. But other than that I wonder if FedEx may have delivered to the wrong address or perhaps a neighbor? Was it insured? You can always try to file a claim with FedEx. That is probably what I would do right away. I would put it up to FedEx about where it is at, not just let it go with it being signed for.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Any way I can get the law involved? Any one know anything about this?

of course, since this is a case of either fraud or theft, but they are probably too busy to deal with a 1 off case like this, there would have to be more going on than just 1 case for them to put in serious time i think. like there are 30 such cases or something like that where there is a scamming ring or something they can connect to build up a bigger case. and if this is going out of state then i believe it is a federal matter as well

ThReMiX

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Sorry but what you did is scalping. To buy something for the purpose of reselling for a profit is scalping. But other than that I wonder if FedEx may have delivered to the wrong address or perhaps a neighbor? Was it insured? You can always try to file a claim with FedEx. That is probably what I would do right away. I would put it up to FedEx about where it is at, not just let it go with it being signed for.

Yes but I don't make it a business and there was no line or anything... I would feel horrible buying up iPads while others are in line...

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I don't think so, I've never had a fedex or ups package that required the person on the address sign for it, I could be wrong though.

Hmm strange. When I got my iPhone 4, I had to prove to the FedEx driver that I was really me by showing her some identification.

But OP, you put delivery confirm, and signature. You will win without a doubt.

ThReMiX

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Case close I win! :) thank god... My wide and I were freaking out... A lot of phone calls but we won... Thanks to the person pointing out the buyer has bought 18 iPad 2 I pointed this out to eBay this helped...

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Yes but I don't make it a business and there was no line or anything... I would feel horrible buying up iPads while others are in line...

scalping is scalping... whether you have a truck full of merchandise or just 1 extra to sell, it is the same thing and everyone has done it at one time or another, there nothing wrong with it and no one complains when they are on the end making money. it's only a problem for people when they are prevented from getting the item they want.

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Glad you won. For future reference though:

How are sellers protected from losing a case?
For item not received cases, sellers are protected from losing a case if they ship within their stated handling time and provide proof of delivery to eBay. Proof of delivery is tracking information from a shipping company that clearly displays:
The delivery status of the item as "delivered,"
The date of delivery (which reflects the seller shipped within stated handling time),
The recipient's address, displaying at least the city/state or ZIP code (or the equivalent) of the address listed in either the eBay order details page or the PayPal transaction details page, and
For items $250 USD (or local currency equivalent) or more, proof of the recipient's signature to confirm delivery is required.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Case close I win! :) thank god... My wide and I were freaking out... A lot of phone calls but we won... Thanks to the person pointing out the buyer has bought 18 iPad 2 I pointed this out to eBay this helped...

So that you won, you get to keep the money and the seller (if being honest) lost the money and iPad?

Im not saying this is the case, because i know the buyer has the iPad

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Pardon me for being dense, but I don't understand (and this probably has nothing to do with your thread, I am just intrigued). You found an iPad 2 at best buy open box, and sold it for $100.00. You mean $100 profit? Or you actually sold an iPad2 for $100.00. I'll assume you meant profit. Otherwise that person on eBay got the deal of the century! And is the dumbest for pushing a good thing ;)

Of course it's $100 profit. Why waste time asking such a question?

Ava's Meeshee

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
So that you won, you get to keep the money and the seller (if being honest) lost the money and iPad?

Im not saying this is the case, because i know the buyer has the iPad

If the buyer has a history of reputability the eBay case worker can refund the buyer at her discretion. In my experience. It may be different on a high ticket item like that.

ThReMiX

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
eBay will deal with the buyer and fedex.... The buyer needs to call the police and file a claim.. I would help the buyer in any thing she needs, but I did everything right on my end. Including video record the whole thing.

Last edited:

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
eBay will deal with the buyer and fedex.... The buyer needs to call the police and file a claim.. I would help the buyer in anything try need, but I did everything right on my end. Including video record the whole thing.

did u used buyers confirmed paypal address?

epgoldie

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
if the buyer files a complaint with his or her credit card, the credit card co. will just take the money back and the sellers account will end up being negative if there are no funds. your account will also be locked until you put the funds back in.

i've had a situation where the buyer was confirmed and verified when i shipped the item but after, she must have deleted all her cards but when i went back into the trascation, her address wasnt confirmed anymore. i had a print screen of the transaction where it showed her confirmed and verified status but paypal didnt care.

Glad you won. For future reference though

How are sellers protected from losing a case?
For item not received cases, sellers are protected from losing a case if they ship within their stated handling time and provide proof of delivery to eBay. Proof of delivery is tracking information from a shipping company that clearly displays:
The delivery status of the item as "delivered,"
The date of delivery (which reflects the seller shipped within stated handling time),
The recipient's address, displaying at least the city/state or ZIP code (or the equivalent) of the address listed in either the eBay order details page or the PayPal transaction details page, and
For items $250 USD (or local currency equivalent) or more, proof of the recipient's signature to confirm delivery is required. :

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits

Please provide the definition of Scalping to us all. I'm intrigued, maybe my education was for naught?

OP, ebay is a pain in the arse- my last transaction was the sale of a Macbook, and the last sale I ever do on Ebay. Thank god the seller was as legit as me, but this business of holding funds w/out release to the seller without proof of Sig is utter bs.

10 years, 100% feedback gets you nada as a seller.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Ebay is fraught petty scammers.

Selling occasional merchandise, especially electronics, has become such a dangerous practice that simply giving away gently used valuables seems much more attractive than having to deal with Ebay headaches.

Maybe Ebay would clean up their act if they had some real competition.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Please provide the definition of Scalping to us all. I'm intrigued, maybe my education was for naught?.

Scalping: "Informal . a small profit made in quick buying and selling."
From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scalping

Arbitrage: "the purchase of a security, commodity, or foreign currency in one market for the purpose of immediately selling it at a higher price in another market "

Difference seems to rely more on which side you're on... :D

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Scalping: "Informal . a small profit made in quick buying and selling."
From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scalping

Arbitrage: "the purchase of a security, commodity, or foreign currency in one market for the purpose of immediately selling it at a higher price in another market "

Difference seems to rely more on which side you're on... :D

From OS X-
scalp |skalp|
noun
the skin covering the head, excluding the face.
• historical the scalp with the hair belonging to it cut or torn away from an enemy's head as a battle trophy, esp. by an American Indian.
verb [ trans. ] historical
take the scalp of (an enemy).
• informal punish severely : if I ever heard anybody doing that, I'd scalp them.
• informal sell (a ticket) for a popular event at a price higher than the official one : tickets were scalped for forty times their face value.
ORIGIN Middle English (denoting the skull or cranium): probably of Scandinavian origin.

End-

Depends on your dictionary I suppose. this one's from the Mac. I have always personally denoted scalping (in the arena of selling) to tickets/events.
Maybe it has moved on into Capitalism, free enterprise on all said items one could purchase/sell.

makingmusic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I tried to sell my iPad1 on eBay, which resulted in a 0-feedback buyer using "buy it now" and asking me to ship it to Nigeria (despite my description stating that I will only ship it to a Paypal verified US address).

The Nigerian scam seems so common on eBay now and there's not a lot you can do about it. The eBay buyer requirement settings are ridiculous. You can't block 0-feedback buyers, only buyers with negative feedback (which isn't even possible anymore on eBay). You can block buyers registered in certain countries, but the Nigerian scammers just register in the US and ask you to ship to Nigeria. You can require immediate payment, but hidden in there is a Paypal policy which restricts immediate payment only for business and premium Paypal accounts. So, not a lot you can do to prevent someone from ending your auction, incurring commissions, and trying to scam you.

The whole thing is ridiculous. After the 8-day claim process at eBay, I finally got my Final Value Fee (commission) back, but they won't refund my listing fee.

I sold it on Craigslist within 4 hours.

Except for the Craigslist statement, you could have written my story! I ended up selling to Gazelle rather than endure any more headaches. What I learned was that although you could prove that a Scammer ended your auction, eBay is more about protecting these scammers than those of us trying to re-sell used products. I've actually have had better luck with Amazon than eBay. May not be able to sell for a high price but NO headaches!

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
to the OP .. i was just wondering , did he opened a ebay case or paypal ..cause i know even if buyer lose their case with paypal they still can file a chageback with their credit card and paypal is force to put your account in negative .. not sure if this can be a case here if you filed with ebay not paypal..

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
This is the second time this has happened here. PEOPLE DONT SELL IPADS ON EBAY YOU WILL GET SCAMMED!

Craigslist people, use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.