Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:10 AM   #1
allan_zip
macrumors regular

Anyone recommend an external dvd writer?

I'm looking to pick up an external dvd writer to hook up to my g3 600mhz ibook. I want to daisychain it to my lacie 'porsche' external HD through firewire. Can anyone recommend me a model or advise me whether or not this chaining is do-able.
Cheers,
Allan
allan_zip is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:24 AM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

This DL LaCie burner should do the trick...

Edit: I'm a bit worried about the G4 system requirement... maybe you should hear if anyone tried it with a G3...? We've used a LaCie d2 4X DVD+/-RW a lot with an old Pismo that has a G3@400MHz, and that works fine...

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Feb 25, 2005 at 08:32 AM.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:11 AM   #3
allan_zip
macrumors regular

that sounds promising, i'll check it out.
Thanks.
allan_zip is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:25 AM   #4
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Hi, if you e-mail them (LaCie) they usually get back to you within 48 hrs. with a reply on your subject. That helped me out with my choice of burner.
Good luck
Old Feb 25, 2005, 01:16 PM   #5
SFVCyclone
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to SFVCyclone
Sony

I use a sony dual layer dvd burner at work for archiving purposes, but it's directly attached to a 400mhz G4, it works really great but i dont know how it will do with your set up, just check it out and see it it works with it. model number DRX-700UL.
SFVCyclone is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:52 PM   #6
devman
macrumors 65816

The new Lacies with lightscribe look very interesting.

Quote:
Now with LightScribe technology, the same laser that burns data onto discs can easily burn precise professional-quality custom designs directly onto the label side of your CDs and DVDs.
http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10014
devman is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:37 PM   #7
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Quote:
devman

Quote:

Now with LightScribe technology, the same laser that burns data onto discs can easily burn precise professional-quality custom designs directly onto the label side of your CDs and DVDs.
I sent them an e-mail about 2-3 weeks ago about the drive and if anyone has seen the adds it's a HP DVD +/- drive. TDK sells the dvds and from them the cost is $22 US for 10/12 pack with the lightscribe top. It looks very nice and no more ink smears on discs. I think it is well worth the price for what you get.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:11 AM   #8
allan_zip
macrumors regular

I sent lacie an email, so i'll see what they say about my g3.
Cheers.
allan_zip is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:53 AM   #9
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Mac World just did a review on that burner as well as others if you want more real world info.
Sorry it was the model just before without lightscribe
Old Feb 26, 2005, 02:29 PM   #10
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Have any noticed that a lot of the DVD external DVD writers are USB 2.0 at retail stores? What happened to firewire?
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 04:26 PM   #11
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Quote:
BornAgainMac
Have any noticed that a lot of the DVD external DVD writers are USB 2.0 at retail stores? What happened to firewire?
Yes and some external hard drives as well. I went to pick up a LaCie hard drive and noticed while in line it was usb and not firewire
Old Feb 27, 2005, 03:35 PM   #12
kwajaln
macrumors 6502

Artful Dodger, I had planned on buying one of the LaCie lightscribe external burners in the near future, but you mentioned something that caught my attention. Are there only certain blanks that are compatible with the lightscribe capability? I *assumed* any blank without a surfce design would have done the trick, but I guess not. Thanks!
kwajaln is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:06 PM   #13
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Quote:
kwajaln
Artful Dodger, I had planned on buying one of the LaCie lightscribe external burners in the near future, but you mentioned something that caught my attention. Are there only certain blanks that are compatible with the lightscribe capability? I *assumed* any blank without a surfce design would have done the trick, but I guess not. Thanks!
Yes only certain media will work, TDK, HP (it's their drive in it), Verbatim and only the "+" R media since none of the companies are making any other media as of yet. This was from about 3 or 4 e-mails to different companies that were given to me by LaCie. Also the discs are of a gray scale "etched" quality when burned.
You will have to look for the Lightscribe logo on the side of the dvd/cd cake packs or what ever they pack them in.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 02:51 PM   #14
bobandtom
macrumors newbie

External lightscribe available

FYI: I have noticed that the LaCie model External Lightscribe Burner won't be available until 'sometime in April' according to their website. I did a search, and someone on eBay (USA) is selling an external Lightscribe burner with FireWire and USB. I searched using "External Lightscribe". Some nice images there.

According to the auction, the drive is compatible with Windows, but I would think they are just referring to the software that comes along with it.

The HP website actually has a free downloadable LightScribe labeler for Windows, so I should think they will provide the same for Mac.

Cheers.

Brett

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...pt=bidpay&sp=1

imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/theresaleking/VOSH.jpg?allow_mailing_list=1&owner_id=486592&allow_track_link=1&track=022d3903c8-76cc0&pt=bidpay&sp=1
bobandtom is offline   0
Old Mar 21, 2005, 04:51 PM   #15
noel4r
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by devman

http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10014

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that next month when it comes out. Although $200 is a bit much I believe...
noel4r is offline   0
Old Mar 21, 2005, 06:09 PM   #16
Toppa G's
macrumors 6502

Fantom DVD writer

I just picked up a Fantom Premier DVD writer - FDDRWDF16D - from MacMall for ~$120. Seems like it should work well...came with Toast Lite 6 for Mac and was plug and go-able. Haven't done extensive testing or work with it yet, but will report back if I find any problems.

edit:I am using a G3 500 mHz iBook with this particular burner - my only limitation is hard drive space

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews