Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
I thought it would be cool to see what kinds of musical instruments MacRumors people played, so please post pictures of your instruments and setups n' such:) I'll have to post pics of my guitars tomorrow when I can get my camera, but I'd love to see yours:)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
ahh excellent idea. I'll get the ball rolling. My 2 epiphone les pauls. Their older pictures though as my black les paul now has a white apple sticker on it :)

Attachments

• lespaul.jpg
    lespaul.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 2,184
  • special.jpg
    special.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 237

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
ltd viper

a moderately priced electric guitar with two passive emg hz pickups, black hardware, and an all mahogany, set neck construction

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_viper.htm

the viper series starts with a $300 dollar model (viper 50) with non emg passive pickups and a bolt on maple neck all the way up to an esp custom shop $3000+ model which can be made any way you order it including real abolone inlay and active emg 81 pickups

my model is the discontinued viper 301 and has the body of the viper 400 series and the electronics of the viper 200 series and cost me $519.00 dollars ($649.00 list price) at the time in 2001

if money were no object, i would buy two gibson PAF dual creme humbuckers from a vintage dealer and have the esp custom shop build the viper guitar from honduras mahogany with a brazilian rosewood fingerboard...the total cost would easily exceed $5000 dollars and it would be a dream guitar

oddly enough though, it probably wouldn't play any different than a standard viper for much less and its sound would only be subtlely different than the $300.00 viper with passive, non emg pickups

a great vintage or collectable guitar is like an old vintage rolex...it may not work as good/accurately as a cheaper quartz watch, but its rarity and uniqueness add an aura of value to it that perhaps very few people understand...and if you are one of the people who understand it, then it makes it all worth it

i notice a lot of players here, and prolly everywhere, use fender stratocasters...if i had a few thousand, i would love to have fender's custom shop build me a one of a kind stratocaster

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Before I post a pic of my drum kit I need to buy some better cymbals.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Hmm, I play a custom PRS... No pics though. You should have posted this 3 days ago so I could take a pic of my brothers Bourgeouis prototype acoustic guitar. Worth $6000 and would have let me look uber cool :)

Oh yeah, I have a Schnabl viola made especially for me in Germany, a Fender mandolin (cheap as hell), a cheap acoustic, a King trumpet, and some unnamed 12-string.

Jim

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
MacNut said:
I didn't know that Fender made Mandolins.

besides electric guitars, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, and the mandolin, fender also makes a dobro slide guitar which is pretty cool and affordable

...not to mention that they own sun amplification, guild guitars, and many other companies...fender is kind of like microsoft

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
jefhatfield said:
besides electric guitars, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, and the mandolin, fender also makes a dobro slide guitar which is pretty cool and affordable

...not to mention that they own sun amplification, guild guitars, and many other companies...fender is kind of like microsoft

Yep, they are. Cheap stuff that gives an ok sound for people to learn with. Fender banjos are actually a steal for the sound that they give if you are a novice.

I wish I had an old school Guild, they don't sound like they should now... go figure.

Jim

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I've posted these photos in another thread, but they seem relevant here, too.

M-Audio Keystation 49e
Roland V-Tour TD-6S electronic drum set
Hohner chromatic accordion (c-system, 120 bass)

Attachments

• flowbee_cube1.jpg
    flowbee_cube1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 411
  • flowbee_cube2.jpg
    flowbee_cube2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 351

federalists

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
Mountain View, CA
here's my gear. i have an awesome all tube sovtek mig 50 head, a 10" marshall cab with celestions, a fender strat, and an old hohner acoustic. the guitars aren't that great, but the amp certainly is.

EDIT: oops, that's not my hohner acoustic. that's my sister's nicer takamine.

Attachments

• studio - wide.jpg
    studio - wide.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 292

MentalFabric

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
I play a gibson gothic explorer
and you can see my peavey 5150 combo behind the bassist :)

Attachments

• meguitar.jpg
    meguitar.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 427

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Kay, I got some pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/hamhocks/strat.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/hamhocks/SG.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/hamhocks/l-5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/hamhocks/d-18.jpg
Sorry the acoustic is kinda blurry, it's a 70s Martin D-18. There is also a 73 Gibson SG, a 90s Japanese Strat, and an early 50s Gibson L5. I'm still 15 and since I live with my parents and sister, we all share these, although the Strat is my sister's and the SG is mine. I usually play that, the Martin, or the L5. We also have tons of harmonicas and ukuleles (my dad's) and other instruments laying around.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
hey phreakout, that is a great selection of guitars!

you have all the bases covered...jazz, single coil, humbucker, and acoustic

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
jim. said:
Yep, they are. Cheap stuff that gives an ok sound for people to learn with. Fender banjos are actually a steal for the sound that they give if you are a novice.

I wish I had an old school Guild, they don't sound like they should now... go figure.

Jim

takeovers, and thus lower quality, remind me of car companies, too

i have an old school volvo...super tough and reliable

but now that the giant ford motor company has taken them over, the quality has gone down...but i would still rather have one of those than most ford models

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
federalists said:
here's my gear. i have an awesome all tube sovtek mig 50 head, a 10" marshall cab with celestions, a fender strat, and an old hohner acoustic. the guitars aren't that great, but the amp certainly is.

EDIT: oops, that's not my hohner acoustic. that's my sister's nicer takamine.

good GOD man! I have.. get ready for this.. the exact same setup!!! i am frightened by your excellent choice in gear.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Here's my Warwick Thumb 5-string, there's a pic of me playing it in the Members Pic thread, but it's not too clear.

I use an Ampeg SVT 3 head and an Ampeg 8x10 cab.

The othr pic is my real instrument now.... I make more music with the studio than I do with the bass... :D

Attachments

• Post-grad1.jpg
    Post-grad1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 189
  • RL pic.jpg
    RL pic.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 253

VAmin

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2004
Here's a picture of my Schreiber S91 bassoon :cool:

I don't have a digi-cam, so this one's not mine specifically...

Attachments

• S91.jpg
    S91.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 226

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
My "Studio"

I kinda have a makeshift studio in my basement. It includes:

60's Rogers Drum Kit
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Squire Bass
Washburn Bass (not pictured)
Fender Electric/Acoustic
Martin Electric Acoustic
Cheap Ibanez Acoustic (Beach Guitar - Not Pictured)
Cheap Epiphone Acoutic (Not Pictured)
Epiphone Les Paul 100 (not pictured)
Yahama Electronic Drum Kit
Fostex VF08 Digital 8 Track Recorder
Marshall JSM 2000 Tube Amp
Fender Deluxe 90 Amp
Cheap 5 Track Mixer

And here are the pics. It is a bit messy since we did some jamming on Friday Night!

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 210

MsKacey007

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2004
My baby - the Ovation Celebrity Deluxe Cherry Cherryburst:

cs257-1.jpg

That's not my actual guitar but I don't have a picture of it on my comp.
It's absolutely gorgeous. :cool:

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
MentalFabric said:
I play a gibson gothic explorer
and you can see my peavey 5150 combo behind the bassist :)

doh I wish I had a gibson gothic explorer :(
I can't believe they replaced the goth line with those fugly "voodoo" series. The red/black finish on them is nice but the inlay of the voodoo head looks horrible.

MentalFabric

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
dornoforpyros said:
doh I wish I had a gibson gothic explorer :(
I can't believe they replaced the goth line with those fugly "voodoo" series. The red/black finish on them is nice but the inlay of the voodoo head looks horrible.

It's a really nice guitar (though some people find the shape a bit hard to get used to), you can still find them around second hand reasonably easily. The voodoo series would look nice, but the red doesn't seem to fit the guitar at all, and the scratch plate looks a bit unnatural next to the body, I've never played one, though they're probably quite similar :)

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
This thread is a little old, but here are my guitars, a nice Alvarez acoustic/electric and a cheap Austin electric.

Attachments

• Guitars.JPG
    Guitars.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 250
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.