Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:05 PM   #1
-AbbeyRoad-
macrumors newbie

Risks of Jailbreaking?

What are the risks of jailbreaking your iPhone? I'm still on the fence on whether I should jailbreak my iPhone 4 or not.
-AbbeyRoad- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
spamdumpster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AbbeyRoad- View Post
What are the risks of jailbreaking your iPhone? I'm still on the fence on whether I should jailbreak my iPhone 4 or not.
Risk is that your phone will be so much better, you'll spend too much time on it.
spamdumpster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
TheShinyMac
macrumors 6502a

1. Using device to it's full potential.
2. Feeling regret that others with iPhones haven't done this yet.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

If you have spent sometime searching. you should have answers for your question.

this has been discussed here previously.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=469187

You can also find your answer via google.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:11 PM   #5
LucasG
macrumors regular

Personally if I didn't have to unlock for my carrier, I'd definitely avoid jailbreaking it, have no real need to, but since I do, I use biteSMS. Nothing else.
LucasG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:23 PM   #6
ClutchThese
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ClutchThese
the biggest risk is that you will always want to continue jailbreaking. This will lead to frusteration after you have to wait if you update your phone premeture to a new JB.

Enjoy the Jailbreak. It's really THAT much better.
ClutchThese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Coasterfanryan
macrumors regular

There are so many things you can do with jailbreaking. It's worth it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:04 PM   #8
aleni
macrumors 68000

just don't install too many apps or tweaks.

for myself, i only jailbreak because i want to use springtomize to disable lock screen, make UI animation a little bit faster, and of course 3G unrestrictor to do facetime over 3G. that's all. oh and i deleted some unused LaunchDaemons to get my iPhone 4 have more memory than before

update: i make my volume buttons to act as a brightness control with springtomize, because the multitasking bar already has a volume slider if i need to increase/decrease the volume. very life saver.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 01:50 AM   #9
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Reasons why jb wouldn't be for you
-you like to pirate programs. JB is about expanding the capabilities of your iphone; it's not here to help you steal from hard-working programmers. If you want to pirate, get lost.
-you always update to the latest iOS the first day it comes out
-you don't like to search MR or google for answers to your jb questions (e.g., how to downgrade the iOS, why should I jb)
-you're not willing to do basic things to keep your jb protected (see the above reason)

Do more research about jb and what programs are available. More importantly, start reading any thread where people are having issues with their jb.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 04:20 AM   #10
bmwhd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AbbeyRoad- View Post
I'd echo what others here have posted. 4.2.1 on my IP4 was my first JB and I will never go back to OEM firmware. There's so much you can do once JB'd that it's just impossible to imagine giving it up.

The risks are very small. You can always go back to the latest OEM firmware. At worst you might have to re-sync your content with iTunes.
bmwhd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 07:06 AM   #11
gngan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
Reasons why jb wouldn't be for you
-you don't like to search MR or google for answers to your jb questions (e.g., how to downgrade the iOS, why should I jb)

Do more research about jb and what programs are available. More importantly, start reading any thread where people are having issues with their jb.
I am sure there will be a lot less people JBing if this is true. People these day can't read.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:12 PM   #12
milamber
macrumors regular

Don't jailbreak.

You get hairy palms.
milamber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:14 PM   #13
iApples
macrumors 65816

The main risk is that one day you may have to go back to a normal non jailbroken iPhone. You'll hate it.
iApples is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:36 PM   #14
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Not necessarily. People who read about the problems experienced will learn what they need to avoid.
The people who have problems with their jb, for the most part, are people who didn't save their blobs, updated prematurely or used pirate programs. Sure, there are some legitimate issues, but the user had to restore, turn off wifi sync or some other relatively simple fix. The only unsolveable problems had to do with hardware or because the OP couldn't enter DFU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gngan View Post
I am sure there will be a lot less people JBing if this is true. People these day can't read.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 01:20 PM   #15
Ashin
macrumors 6502a

The risk is you'll realize how much time you wasted being locked down
Ashin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 01:53 PM   #16
WeAre138
macrumors newbie

Jailbroke for about two months and updated to 4.3.1 two days ago and wanted to wait a few days before jailbreaking again just to kind of compare my user experience. I lasted one day before jailbreaking again. So yea, like the other person posted, only risk is realizing you may have to go un-jailbroken again some day.
WeAre138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks