Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyeaston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
London
I have a fully paid-up, legitimate iPhone but love the sound of some of the things a jailbroken iPhone will do.

But there must be risks - is there a chance my phone will lock out? Crash? My O2 contract will be void or anything?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
No. Restoring in iTunes will fix your iPhone if anything goes wrong. Do not attempt unlocking or "pwning" yet, as these can break your phone if you don't know what you're doing.

http://www.ziphone.org will have what you need.

Bad Ash

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
Yes, jailbreaking is opening the phone up for 3rd party apps. Unlocking is the process to unlock the phone for other carriers.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
No. Restoring in iTunes will fix your iPhone if anything goes wrong. Do not attempt unlocking or "pwning" yet, as these can break your phone if you don't know what you're doing.

http://www.ziphone.org will have what you need.

Nooo, don't link people to Zibri's Little Shop of Horrors! If you REALLY want to expose yourself to risks, go to http://www.ziphone.org. Otherwise stay away.

(Take a look at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5276587/ - its a little ranty on my part, but its gets the information across.)

The General is pretty much right about everything else, though. Jailbreaking alone is fairly harmless, though once it is jailbroken you should be careful about what you install on your device using Installer.app as untrusted apps can potential cause (permanent) damage to your phone. As with any community-driven hacking, you need to be wary about what you do.

If you stay free of unlocking or making any baseband/bootloader changes (i.e. DON'T use ZiPhone), you're pretty safe. Jailbreaking alone is removable with a simple firmware restore through iTunes. I suggest taking a look at tools like iLiberty+ or the newly release Pwnagetool from the Dev Team. Either solution is satisfactory for jailbreaking.

In terms of warranty, since you're a legitimate O2 customer you won't run into the problems that most people trying to claim warranty service yet aren't on an Apple-approved provider (i.e. they unlocked their phones) do. At most you'd want to perform a full restore to the latest available firmware version before bringing it in to an Apple Store since they can still deny you warranty service for simple jailbreak software modifications.

If you've got more specifc questions about risks, then ask away.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I must have missed something along the lines, why is ZiPhone bad? What is the alternative that isn't bad? :confused:

mikelong622

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2006
St. Paul, Minnesota
I'd also like to know what's wrong with Ziphone. I just used 3.0 and had used the original one the first time I jailbroke/unlocked my phone. I haven't had any problems yet.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I must have missed something along the lines, why is ZiPhone bad? What is the alternative that isn't bad? :confused:

I answered the first question with the link to a previous post of mine that explains just some of the reasons you shouldn't use ZiPhone, and a listed a couple alternatives that, at least in my knowledge, are the most used jailbreaking or unlocking solutions right now.

I'd also like to know what's wrong with Ziphone. I just used 3.0 and had used the original one the first time I jailbroke/unlocked my phone. I haven't had any problems yet.

I suggest you also take a look at the link above. It detailed the many problems you may now have with your phone because of Zibri's methods for unlocking and such.

I see lots of people everyday that come into #iphone on irc.osx86.hu and are complaining about how ZiPhone screwed up their device in some way, and their complaints are not fabricated. The methods that Zibri uses in ZiPhone represent the pinnacle of irresponsible coding - throwing together a bunch of parts, wrapping it up in a nice container (which, arguable, is the ONLY good thing about ZiPhone and isn't an advantage only held by it anymore), and throwing it out into the world with hopes that it will work.

The only reason things like Zibri's extremely unsafe bootloader downgrade are reversible is because of the hard work of groups like the iPhone Dev Team. And by the way, if you did use ZiPhone to unlock your phone then your bootloader was forcibly downgraded to 3.9original (rather than 3.9FB as the solution was for a while) whether you elected to or not. Just make sure you don't bring it into the Apple Store or something for repairs with a bootloader other than the one you bought it with.

JasonK

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Eugene, OR
If it doesn't kill your phone it will suck the battery for sure. Best bet is wait it out. I liked a few of the apps but have lived without them. Too much money for a experiment IMO.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
ZiPhone introduced to the web a dangerous version of jailbreaking that incorporated downgrading baseband/bootloaders and all that stuff you dont want to change on ur phone unless you really know what your are doing.

AVOID ZIPHONE UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCED IN TTHE WAYS OF UNLOCKING AND THE REST!!!!!!!!

(!!!!!!!!) extra exclamation just in case you dont get my point!

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
If it doesn't kill your phone it will suck the battery for sure. Best bet is wait it out. I liked a few of the apps but have lived without them. Too much money for a experiment IMO.

Kill the battery life? How does opening up the iPhone's filesystem kill your battery life?

That's not to say that applications that you put on the device once its jailbroken and has Installer.app on it can't kill your battery life (or your phone, if you find a really nasty source), but that's not really an issue if you don't leave 10 apps running in the background accessing EDGE all day long.

ge3kd

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
I have a fully paid-up, legitimate iPhone but love the sound of some of the things a jailbroken iPhone will do.

But there must be risks - is there a chance my phone will lock out? Crash? My O2 contract will be void or anything?

I'm in the same boat you're in. I've seen some really nice apps that I'd love to use, but the thought of turning my iPhone into a brick has made me hesitant. I think I just might wait and see what Apple brings to the table in their next update.

igotgame1075

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2005
wow, so much hate towards ziphone. i used it just fine to jailbreak my phone, and i have not experienced any type of wi-fi troubles or any alterations to my bootloader.

please let it be known, that if you are simply jailbreaking, ziphone is fine to use, if you only hit the big jailbreak button...

all of the horror stories for the program are only from ppl that decided to use the program to unlock their phones.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
WOW whats up againt ZiPhone? I understands people complaints about the bootloader downgrade but the OP wants to only jailbreak the phone, and this has nothing to do with the bootloader! Stop spreading false reasons to panic!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
if your just jailbreaking it is fully reversible by a restore in iTunes (do not use your backup though as it will mess up your settings).

But it is FULLY REVERSIBLE!

Of course stay clear of any of the unlocking tools in installer because that can make problems for you - but normal apps are no problem.

To be fair - right now pwnage is a fully reversible unlock and/or jailbreak and that is the first time that has been the case - previously unlocks would not be reversible but with pwnage it now is.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If it doesn't kill your phone it will suck the battery for sure.

Only if you run apps that use a lot of juice, like leaving internet radio, Scrobbler or chat on all the time. Then again the same is true for running beejive/meebo on all the time, or even watching a bunch of you tube videos.

I ran a test and I still got 5 hours of video playback on my 9 month old iPhone with OpenSSH turned on. That's still really good.

baseballislife

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
if i jailbreak my ihpone will i have to put all the songs and phone numbers bak on? and will it still work on like a docking station.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
if i jailbreak my ihpone will i have to put all the songs and phone numbers bak on? and will it still work on like a docking station.

Read the sticky threads at the top of this forum, then ask again if you have a question. And next time don't resurrect ancient threads; there are plenty of current threads on this same topic.

KidPub

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2009
Near Boston MA

No, they'll still be there. Yes, it'll work in a dock. The iPhone is basically a small Unix computer that happens to have a phone in it. A stock iPhone is like a computer in kiosk mode...you can only interact with it in ways that have been predefined. Jailbreaking allows you full access to the computer to use in any way you like.

Perry

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2010
I have been using blackra1n and had been very happy tilll now... why is no mention of blackra1n/sn0w and what advantages does pwnage and ziphone have in comparison to blackra1n.

TIA

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
I have been using blackra1n and had been very happy tilll now... why is no mention of blackra1n/sn0w and what advantages does pwnage and ziphone have in comparison to blackra1n.

TIA

Check when this thread was started

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.