Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

223937-iphonekeynote.jpg

According to Korean site ETNews.co.kr, Apple is planning on releasing the iPhone 5 during the 4th week of June. Multiple reports have already revealed that Apple will not be introducing the iPhone 5 during the Worldwide Developer's Conference scheduled for June 6th. Instead, WWDC is said to be focusing on software only.

ETNews, however, claims that the news of a late June iPhone 5 release comes with confirmation that Korean providers SK Telecom and KT will be amongst the first carriers to offer the new iPhoneiPhone 5, the next model of iPhone 4, will be released on the coming 4th week of June. In the midst of the iPhone 5 postponement rumors, Apple has confirmed that iPhone 5 will be released as planned and it will be released simultaneously in Korea through SK Telecom and KT. Instead of a WWDC launch, Apple is expected to hold a special media event featuring Steve Jobs himself.

The sourcing of the article is a little suspect, as it appears to be attributing the information to Apple, itself. It also contradicts the "fall" timeframe that has been previously proposed for the next iPhone release. Mobile carriers, however, have been a source of some early release information, as new phones launches must be coordinated. In 2008, Telecom Italia's executive VP of technology revealed the timeframe of the 3G iPhone. Finally worth noting is that the story was also posted to etnews.co.uk on April 1st, though there is no indication that it was meant as an April Fools joke. We've contacted the author but have not yet received a reply.

Article Link: iPhone 5 to Launch at End of June?

Last edited:

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Fantastic! I really do hope so, but then again, a KR site? "lul" much? What do Korean's know that the rest of the world don't?

EDIT: Okay fair enough on what the Korean's know, that the rest of the world don't!

Last edited:

dcdude

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
makes sense

apple has proven to have a winning formula by releasing a new phone every year

it would make no sense for them to change that

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
A random MacRumor member can tell you the iPhone is normally coming out at the end of June.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Sounds a little far fetched to me. Though I would like for it to be true.

Apple has made a lot of hardware announcements at WWDC in the past. If the iPhone is coming at the end of June, I'd expect the announcement to be made at the conference.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
OMGEEE Yes!
I hope its a bit more than an iPhone 4 with an A5 and better camera in it. Mainly, I hope iOS5 delivers.

mikeapple

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Atleast there is something good about DELAY rumors... they push for real release date rumors and more info on the new product.

Same thing happened with the iPad 2 Delay rumors.

Stocks go down and people start looking towards other products when delay rumors surface. So the pressure to bring other realistic release date comes out

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
In other words: "Maybe." :rolleyes:
Maybe it will be released at the end of June.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
As much as I want to believe, loop insight has a much better record for these things.

this doesn't contradict loop insight at all.

they said no iPhone 5 at WWDC. This is saying iPhone 5 is coming shortly after WWDC.

arn

noahtk

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
US
They better...

There will be a lot of unhappy customers if there isn't a new iPhone this June, people have come to expect a new one every summer.

aznair

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Korean media just pulls this stuff right out their rear end. I'm not being racist or anything - I'm Korean myself and I'm talking from experience.

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
Assuming they can get the supply chain worked out it would really be ideal for them to come out with the iPhone 5 by the end of June. They are beginning to see some of their market share shrink with some of the new Android phones and giving them another 6 months of new and better will not make shareholders happy.

Increase the memory, slap in the A5, update iPhoto and the map and call it good.

SayaSe

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Fantastic! I really do hope so, but then again, a KR site? "lul" much? What do Korean's know that the rest of the world don't?
They make your gadgets [parts]. They're also among the most intelligent people in the world.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

iDevice predictability comes from annual schedules. I'm going to favor the schedule over any rumor, regardless of whether it corroborates or disagrees with that schedule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.