Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Jakerz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta
MBP reading SD Card and Ext Hard Drive space wrong

I noticed yesterday that my MBP is reading the space on my SD Card and my External Hard Drive wrong.

If I delete something off either the SDC or EHD, the space that should become available by doing that isn't made available.

For example... My 4GB SD Card has 600MB available, I deleted a 1GB movie that was on it but that 1GB of space is not being made available. When I try adding a file larger than the 600MB, I get a pop up that says the require space is not available.


I reformatted the drives thinking that was the problem but it obviously wasn't because it didn't fix it. Reformatting the drives are the only way to get the space back.

Help...
Jakerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Macsavvytech
macrumors 6502a
 
Macsavvytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakerz View Post
I noticed yesterday that my MBP is reading the space on my SD Card and my External Hard Drive wrong.

If I delete something off either the SDC or EHD, the space that should become available by doing that isn't made available.

For example... My 4GB SD Card has 600MB available, I deleted a 1GB movie that was on it but that 1GB of space is not being made available. When I try adding a file larger than the 600MB, I get a pop up that says the require space is not available.


I reformatted the drives thinking that was the problem but it obviously wasn't because it didn't fix it. Reformatting the drives are the only way to get the space back.

Help...
You are deleting the item from trash. Not just moving it to the trash?
__________________
Sarcasm is my middle name.
Macsavvytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Jakerz
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsavvytech View Post
You are deleting the item from trash. Not just moving it to the trash?
I 'command + delete' it from the SD Card or EHD but the deleted file doesn't appear in my Trash.
__________________
Mid-2010 Base 13" MBP
iPhone 4 32GB White
iPad(3rd Generation) 16GB White
Jakerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Hansr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakerz View Post
I 'command + delete' it from the SD Card or EHD but the deleted file doesn't appear in my Trash.
It should and the trash would need to be emptied before the space shows up as free.
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:40 AM   #5
Jakerz
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansr View Post
It should and the trash would need to be emptied before the space shows up as free.
It disappears from the SD Card Finder window but it doesn't go to the Trash.
__________________
Mid-2010 Base 13" MBP
iPhone 4 32GB White
iPad(3rd Generation) 16GB White
Jakerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Hansr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakerz View Post
It disappears from the SD Card Finder window but it doesn't go to the Trash.
And if you empty the trash anyway? It might be stored in /Volumes/SDCARD/.Trash/ but should show up in the main trash too.
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Jakerz
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansr View Post
And if you empty the trash anyway? It might be stored in /Volumes/SDCARD/.Trash/ but should show up in the main trash too.
I didn't think about that. I'll try it. Thanks
__________________
Mid-2010 Base 13" MBP
iPhone 4 32GB White
iPad(3rd Generation) 16GB White
Jakerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
external hard drive, free space, reading wrong, sd card

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I move iTunes Library from Ext Hard drive to MBP? oceanjaws Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Sep 28, 2013 10:34 AM
Space on hard drive disappears after delete of files / no start up disk space AlakaDan OS X 15 Aug 28, 2013 10:26 PM
MBP Hard drive Disk Space not updating. Prime85 MacBook Pro 4 May 6, 2013 08:35 AM
Is Paragon for me and my ext hard drive kathie1404 Mac Basics and Help 3 Jan 6, 2013 01:12 AM
Testing speed of int and ext hard drive MBP swingerofbirch MacBook Pro 2 Oct 14, 2012 01:39 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC