Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:19 PM   #1
utl768
macrumors 6502

whats the point of xbmc?

i installed it last night and the thing is horrible

it chokes on every video not .avi and for iso's the thing just quits itself

i hear people touting it all the time but to me it seems like a real piece of **** software
utl768 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:41 AM   #2
HarryPot
macrumors 6502a

Are you in 4.3.1?

If so, XBMC will only work OK if you install the Nightly Builds, the latest official release was broken with the 4.3 update, and all the videos are processed with only software, not hardware.

If you install the Nightly Build, then the problems is fixed. But... it's still a NB, so some bugs are still present.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=96725
HarryPot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 01:48 AM   #3
utl768
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPot View Post
Are you in 4.3.1?

If so, XBMC will only work OK if you install the Nightly Builds, the latest official release was broken with the 4.3 update, and all the videos are processed with only software, not hardware.

If you install the Nightly Build, then the problems is fixed. But... it's still a NB, so some bugs are still present.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=96725
installed the nighly builds and it still doesnt work

these developers are a joke imo
utl768 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Mr-Kerrse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by utl768 View Post

I've stuck to using Plex or aTV flash as XBMC seems very buggy at the moment.
Mr-Kerrse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 05:11 AM   #5
scsjason
macrumors newbie

The point of XBMC on ATV2 is that it allows you to play video/audio that is not stored within iTunes. I have a lot of video in random formats and do not want to convert it all just to play on the ATV2. With XBMC I can just point it at an SMB share from my desktop machine and stream it directly to the ATV2 in whatever format and watch it on my projector. So far it has worked really well and I am impressed with the quality of free software. Its just a shame that apple makes it necessary to JB the box to allow owners of it to use it how they wish.

--
jason
scsjason is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 05:19 AM   #6
negatv1
macrumors 6502

Quote:

It would be a different story if this app was in the app store, but at this point in time XBMC on IOS is practically a proof of concept on this platform.

And if not happy with it, feel free to return it for the full purchase price.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 05:36 AM   #7
ZilogZ80
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by negatv1 View Post
It would be a different story if this app was in the app store, but at this point in time XBMC on IOS is practically a proof of concept on this platform.

And if not happy with it, feel free to return it for the full purchase price.
Exactly. It works great on the other platforms but the ATV version is obviously a work in progress.

Quote:
I'm amazed they even bother at all when people like you have this kind of attitude
ZilogZ80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 05:39 AM   #8
Mr-Kerrse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsjason View Post

Its just a shame that apple makes it necessary to JB the box to allow owners of it to use it how they wish.

--
jason
Up till ATV 2 it really didn't bother me about jailbreaking my phones etc i was quite happy with them they way they were, i do however agree they really annoyed me with the atv 2 i feel they are getting a little greedy trying to lock it down completely.

I would have been happy to pay a little more for it if they had allowed for personal software to be loaded on it.
Mr-Kerrse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 05:45 AM   #9
ZilogZ80
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Kerrse View Post
I would have been happy to pay a little more for it if they had allowed for personal software to be loaded on it.
That would be a Mac Mini then
ZilogZ80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 06:54 AM   #10
jgunn
macrumors regular

Quote:
i installed it last night and the thing is horrible

it chokes on every video not .avi and for iso's the thing just quits itself

i hear people touting it all the time but to me it seems like a real piece of **** software
How does your atv go at playing your avi's and iso's without xbmc. oh ok.

mine has 800 avis, all with downloaded covers automatically and all playing without a hitch.
jgunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:39 AM   #11
scienide09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilogZ80 View Post
I'm amazed they even bother at all when people like you have this kind of attitude
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilogZ80 View Post
That would be a Mac Mini then
And the user would be paying "a little more" to the tune of +$600. I think that goes beyond a typical definition of "little". Or, at least with my budget it does.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:11 AM   #12
lehite
macrumors newbie

Quote:
If you think you can do a better job I'm sure that the XBMC team would love for you to submit patches or contribute productively (rather than just criticize).

I use XBMC (not on ATV2) and I love it, I think that they do a great job and the price is terrific.
lehite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:30 AM   #13
HarryPot
macrumors 6502a

You can't really complain about free software, which is currently under development (no official release for 4.3.1 yet) and runs in a hacked device. As for how to solve your problem, there is nothing we can do to help if you don't offer any details of how you installed XBMC...

Did you use Seas0npass to JB your Apple TV? At the XBMC forums they are saying that the Pwnage tool to JB had some issues with XBMC. (LINK)
HarryPot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 01:00 PM   #14
bassjunky
macrumors member

I haven't loaded XBMC in my ATV2 yet. That said, I've been using XBMC for many many years on my hacked Xbox (original) and it was without a doubt the best media streamer I ever used or saw. It would play just about any format.

Lately, I've been using my PS3 to stream, and more recently, my ATV2, so the Xbox hasn't been fired up as much. But I always vouched for XBMC and hacked many peoples' Xbox just for this amazingly free software. Maybe it's not quite yet up to par on the ATV2, but I bet it will get there. There are some smart developers working on that software.
bassjunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 07:21 PM   #15
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunn View Post
How does your atv go at playing your avi's and iso's without xbmc. oh ok.

mine has 800 avis, all with downloaded covers automatically and all playing without a hitch.
My avi, mkv, wmv, and other formats play great without xbmc on the ATV. Using Air Video and Airplay. No hacking required.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:30 PM   #16
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
My avi, mkv, wmv, and other formats play great without xbmc on the ATV. Using Air Video and Airplay. No hacking required.
Can you explain exactly what you mean?
jason2811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:37 AM   #17
gonzoking
macrumors newbie

erm thats just wrong isn't it? ATV2 wont play mkv s.
gonzoking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:51 AM   #18
DefBref
macrumors 6502

As newagemac says use airvideo app on your iphone or ipad to access your mkv and then airplay it to your ATV2. No need for jailbreaking in any of the devices.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

You need the airvideo server software running on your Mac or Pc, but it works great.

Last edited by DefBref; Apr 9, 2011 at 06:17 AM.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:56 AM   #19
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBref View Post
As jason says use airvideo app on your iphone or ipad to access your mkv and then airplay it to your ATV2. No need for jailbreaking in any of the devices.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

You need the airvideo server software running on your Mac or Pc, but it works great.
Involves encoding, and therefore loss of quality.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:08 AM   #20
eTip
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have had my frustrations w/ XBMC in the past but it has run almost flawlessly for me on 4.2.1 and runs pretty good since Dharma on my old AppleTV. Before XBMC, I was having to convert all of my video content to mp4 - not to mention all of the tagging - to play it in iTunes. Also, some prefer XBMC because it doesn't require anything on the server side (iTunes, Plex).

To each his own. I can remember when Boxee on ATV was all the rage but I found it unusable.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:19 AM   #21
DefBref
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
Yes but its still a solution that doesn't require jailbreaking.

FWIW I do use xbmc on my ATV2, but also use airvideo on my non jailbroken ipad.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:09 AM   #22
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
Seeing that many people who use xbmc use it for playing terribly outdated formats and containers like .avi, (and often from suspect sources) then I don't think quality is much of a concern for them.

I use modern high quality formats and containers like .m4v and h.264 but if for some reason I am forced to use something like .avi then Air Video + AirPlay works great. And the transcoding is done with bitrates at up to 5mbps which is good for anything up to 720p HD. And of course this method also gives you the option of switching the video back and forth between your mobile device and all your TVs at the tap of a button. If all you want to do is play unsupported formats I believe this is a more attractive option.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:13 AM   #23
newagemac
macrumors 68000

The Plex iOS app just added AirPlay support too so that is another option.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:29 AM   #24
anim8or
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I'll be honest and say you probably haven't installed it correctly, as i and many others on here and on other forums have the nightly builds and 4.3.1 running as they are intended... almost perfect witha few kinks here and there.

If you are not capable enough of installing software in this fashion then perhaps you should just stay away instead of venting your frustrations towards people who spend their own free time developing FREE software for the public to use and contribute to.

Once a stable official release is out there it will be perfect and at that point i will safely say that i see no need to update my ATV 2 until apple release something spectatcular, at present XBMC makes ATV 2 a dream for most users.

That was my long winded response, in short if you like it then dont use it, stop posting looking for a debate!!!
Old Apr 9, 2011, 03:53 PM   #25
Awjvail
macrumors 6502

Quote:

They work for FREE.
Awjvail is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater