Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1
iindigo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iindigo
Getting an open-source project off the ground

How does one do it? I recently started the skiTunes project, and I really want to do everything possible to keep it from becoming vaporware/abandonware. I'd just code away until someone joins, but I'm not that good of a coder, and I don't have lots of time...

Any suggestions?
iindigo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 03:49 PM   #2
jobutex
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to jobutex
Think about putting your project out on Sourceforge, so if someone that is interested in contributing to an open souce project does a search, yours will be available for them to peruse.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 04:09 PM   #3
grapes911

I was trying to get your source code, but I can't seem do download it. It seems like you updated it today. Either you are updating it right now, or there was some error. Just letting you know.
grapes911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 08:18 PM   #4
GeeYouEye
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to GeeYouEye Send a message via Yahoo to GeeYouEye
Interesting project, but why? You can already skin iTunes with various 3rd party utilities.
Like politics, free speech, computers, entertainment, and more? Join us at Wordforge.net
GeeYouEye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:43 PM   #5
iindigo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iindigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeYouEye
Interesting project, but why? You can already skin iTunes with various 3rd party utilities.
Main reasons are:
1) iTunes skins are very limiting - for example, it's impossible for an iTunes skin to have a color background - iTunes always makes it grayscale.

2) A lot of themers don't have time/don't want to make iTunes skins, leaving the system look inconsistent. With skiTunes, the only buttons needed to skin are the Play, Pause, rewind, fast forward, and browse buttons - the rest automatically matches the theme's brushed metal look.

That, and although iTunes is good, it's a bit clunky feeling, and it still uses code from Mac OS 9's Soundjam MP. Another thing is a lot of Windows switchers miss being able to play their WMA files - skiTunes will come to the rescue. Also, skiTunes will allow iPod to computer transfers, and for those who need it, multiple iPod management.

lol, there's tons of other things I plan to add, but I won't list them all here cuz I'm lazy

Besides, the way I see it, Apple needs a little competition
iindigo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming