Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I already tried version tracker. Any other cool sites? Also is it possible to transfer the files from pc(mac has no internet) to my PB 2400c through diskett?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Patmian212 said:
I already tried version tracker. Any other cool sites? Also is it possible to transfer the files from pc(mac has no internet) to my PB 2400c through diskett?
Info-Mac is your best friend for finding old Mac software.

Regarding your second point, do you mean floppy disks? Macs running Mac OS 8.x (and later) will read PC-formatted floppy disks. Earlier versions can do this too, but I don't know in what Mac OS version the ability was introduced.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Patmian212 said:
What do you mean "mac has no internet"? Are you talking about your PowerMac 7500? your PowerBook 2400c? what? SneakerNet will work. However, I recommend that you use your PM 7500 computer as your primary machine rather than that Windows POS. Your Mac has 10B-T built-in. You can get a PC Card for your PowerBook. If you have broadband, a router will make all three computers equal citizens on the 'Net.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
MisterMe said:
What do you mean "mac has no internet"? Are you talking about your PowerMac 7500? your PowerBook 2400c? what? SneakerNet will work. However, I recommend that you use your PM 7500 computer as your primary machine rather than that Windows POS. Your Mac has 10B-T built-in. You can get a PC Card for your PowerBook. If you have broadband, a router will make all three computers equal citizens on the 'Net.

Read my post its for my PB....I transfered a game from my pc to my PB on floppy and the file doesnt open and the icon says PC on it even though its a mac file(.hqx)

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, first of all, Mac OS 8 is not free. Apple has never made it free (as they did with 7.5.2). So downloading it (legally) isn't going to happen any time soon.

If you want to buy Mac OS 8, you can get the install CD here.

Besides, you'd be better off getting Mac OS 8.5/8.5.1/8.6 on that system as they have more PowerPC native code and would perform better.

If you have a PowerMac 7500, then you can network it with your PowerBook 2400c via the localtalk (printer) port on both systems. All you need is a printer cable and to enable AppleTalk on both system via the printer port.

As for working with files off a PC disk. Pre-Mac OS X systems don't generally recognize file name extensions. So if you have a file with .hqx on it, the system doesn't know what to do with it. You are going to need to manually open it in StuffIt Expander.

The thing about downloading with a Mac browser is that they are going to add resource info based on a helper application list. IE on a Mac would add to an hqx file a resource that tells the Finder that it is a StuffIt file.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Patmian212 said:
Read my post its for my PB....I transfered a game from my pc to my PB on floppy and the file doesnt open and the icon says PC on it even though its a mac file(.hqx)
You're going to need a working Stuffit Expander to open many of the files found on Info-Mac. Unfortunately, I can't find the newest Stuffit Expander that's known to work on Mac OS 8.0.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Ok I found an old version of stuffit expandr on the system im decoding now...I hope this works!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mac OS 8 doesn't have one :(

The best you can do is summon the Force Quit dialog with Command+Option+Escape, but it only lets you quit the active application (including background-only applications).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.