Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093532-vz_smartphones_1q11_500.jpg

It's been a busy couple of days for Apple-related earnings announcements, with AT&T and Apple releasing their data yesterday and Verizon following suit this morning. In a slideshow presentation (PDF) accompanying the release, Verizon reveals that it activated 2.2 million CDMA iPhones during the quarter. The carrier began selling the iPhone to its existing customers on February 3rd, following that up with a wider launch to all comers a week later.

Overall, Verizon reported increased earnings compared to a year ago and just slightly above analyst expectations, although the stock has slipped a bit as it begins trading for the day.

Apple yesterday reported shipping a record 18.65 million iPhones during the quarter, although that number also included devices distributed into the sales channel for sale by retail partners, while Verizon's number strictly includes devices sold. AT&T announced that it had activated 3.6 million iPhones during the quarter, but that number obviously includes a full quarter of sales rather than the under two-month period for the Verizon iPhone. AT&T's activation numbers have also historically included both new handsets and old ones that may have been handed down or sold and reactivated for new contracts.

Article Link: Verizon Activates 2.2 Million iPhones in Q1 2011

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Both AT&T and Verizon have flaws, but Verizon is, by far, the lesser of two evils. If an Early Termination Agreement wasn't an issue, why on earth would anyone choose AT&T over Verizon?

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Weak Verizon iPhone Results

Considering that in 4Q10 it was "common knowledge" that Verizon was getting the iPhone and that it was officially announced on Jan 11, this was a very weak sales report for Verizon. I think that most people realized that Verizon is more expensive, slower, lacks international coverage, and that they castrated the iPhone (no data/voice multitasking).

This 30 second video says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUaFywhywjA

alcaponek

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
Considering that in 4Q10 it was "common knowledge" that Verizon was getting the iPhone and that it was officially announced on Jan 11, this was a very weak sales report for Verizon. I think that most people realized that Verizon is more expensive, slower, lacks international coverage, and that they castrated the iPhone (no data/voice multitasking).

I still find that number pretty impressive. "Verizon also activated 260,000 HTC Thunderbolt units over the two-week period" 9to5mac.com.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008

The AT&T iPhone cannot be officially unlocked, ever, even after the contract is up. It is impossible to go overseas and use an international SIM card in an AT&T iPhone unless the phone is hacked and unlocked, which voids the warranty.

Only a tiny amount of iPhone users are rich enough to pay both international roaming fees and international long distance fees simultaneously for each local call made when overseas.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Both AT&T and Verizon have flaws, but Verizon is, by far, the lesser of two evils. If an Early Termination Agreement wasn't an issue, why on earth would anyone choose AT&T over Verizon?

Maybe because a lot of people (like me) get better coverage from AT&T than Verizon where they live? I don't know about you but first and foremost I want my phone to work as a phone.

Sportcat

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Anderson, SC

Because Verizon has horrible service at my house and I get 3 bars with AT&T.

PhantomPumpkin

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Because Verizon has horrible service at my house and I get 3 bars with AT&T.

I drop down to 1 bar in the outskirts of the major towns here, coincidentally right next to an AT&T store. My 3g speeds are also horrendous lately.

To each their own?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007

AT&T is absolutely terrible in my area. However, I like that GSM works around the world AND the simultaneous data & voice capability.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
I drop down to 1 bar in the outskirts of the major towns here, coincidentally right next to an AT&T store. My 3g speeds are also horrendous lately.

To each their own?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the case: to each their own. We're talking about 3.8 million square miles of network here. It is not uniform.

(It is kind of interesting, as an aside, how most internet tech journalists live in the New York or San Francisco areas, and Verizon tends to have slightly better coverage in those two markets. So it becomes an Internet Fact that Verizon has massively better service universally.)

As others have said, better coverage in their area, but AT&T also has cheaper plans and some might get discounts through their workplace for one carrier over another. Maybe people appreciate the faster network. And any number of other reasons. If someone is satisfied where they are, what compelling reason is there to switch? All the carriers are about the same.

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009

Here we go again, just choose the phone that works for you, the company that works for you and enjoy the phone, no need to argue over who's best....

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004

Because Verizon is the worst company in the history of the world.

I had Verizon for three years. Every single month they screwed up our bill, and every single month it took at least 3 calls of at least a half hour each to get it fixed. Verizon has the most outrageous "secret" fees that they tack on to EVERYTHING. Verizon staff could give a care less about you. And Verizon has more stupid rules than any other carrier (at the time I couldn't use bluetooth on my Motorola unless I paid Verizon a monthly fee).

That is why. Verizon ONLY has network coverage. That is it, everything else about them sucks.

AT&T has been great for me this last year. Although if I had my choice I would go back to TMobile in a heartbeat. TMobile is hands down the best carrier from a customer service perspective. Their prices were great and their customer service was outstanding. (That said, I oppose the AT&T TMobile merger - bad for consumers).

Sorry for the somewhat long-winded reply - but my experience with Verizon (both as a wireless carrier and back a decade ago when I had their land line phone service) was very very very painful.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
The AT&T iPhone cannot be officially unlocked, ever, even after the contract is up. It is impossible to go overseas and use an international SIM card in an AT&T iPhone unless the phone is hacked and unlocked, which voids the warranty.

By the time your contract is up - the warranty is already expired so there is nothing to void.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Personally... I see it this way.... most people in developed countries have a cell phone now. Which means they are on a contract and can't just switch at a whim (at least in the US).

As for iPhone specific sales on Verizon, looks like there was some pent up demand, but again, I think contracts and upgrade dates hold many back from just changing. I know a couple people on Verizon who want an iPhone, but can't get one just yet because of their upgrade eligibility.

In the US, it would appear that many people are switching to smart phones and the market is growing quickly. But it's a huge fluid market and sales will come and go based on many factors.

As for AT&T vs Verizon... personally, I've had both and both have their issues. But overall I'm happy with AT&T and need the GSM support for my travel to Europe, so I'll probably just stay with AT&T and be happy.

But at least in the US we now have a choice (good thing) and looks like T-Mobile is next given AT&T is buying them.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Maybe because a lot of people (like me) get better coverage from AT&T than Verizon where they live? I don't know about you but first and foremost I want my phone to work as a phone.

+1

Did the Verizon thing. Hated it. Was like having a cell phone in the '80's.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
So, let's see how this breaks down:

AT&T: 3.6 million over a 13-week period.

Verizon: 2.2 million over a roughly 7-week period.

That works out to roughly:

AT&T: 277,000 iPhones per week.

Verizon: 315,000 iPhones per week.

Yeah, I'd say Verizon did quite well despite the naysayers who think AT&T was selling more of them (when it took them almost twice as long to get those numbers).

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the case: to each their own. We're talking about 3.8 million square miles of network here. It is not uniform.

(It is kind of interesting, as an aside, how most internet tech journalists live in the New York or San Francisco areas, and Verizon tends to have slightly better coverage in those two markets. So it becomes an Internet Fact that Verizon has massively better service universally.)

As others have said, better coverage in their area, but AT&T also has cheaper plans and some might get discounts through their workplace for one carrier over another. Maybe people appreciate the faster network. And any number of other reasons. If someone is satisfied where they are, what compelling reason is there to switch? All the carriers are about the same.

It's not just NYC or San Fran, DC is a Verizon town...only Verizon service has been available in the metro for the past 5-6 years, and now that AT&T has moved in, it's only available on the platforms. The same goes above ground, many of the buildings here block GSM signals but CDMA passes through them more easily. This is most likely why Verizon performs better in other cities as well. As for the suburbs and rural areas, what you say is true, it's all about the coverage.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage

Well, Verizon does not have coverage anywhere in my State is one BIG reason. Not being able to talk and have data is another reason and a lot of other countries I travel in do not any support for CDMA based phones.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I'd say 2.2 million is good given:

1) February wasn't necessarily a discrete point in time where a lot of people would be reaching the end of their contracts. We have to remember that iPhone buyers reach the end of their contracts around launch time because AT&T moves up their dates.
2) Odd launch date. With summer right around the corner, many may feel that a new verizon iphone 5 is right around the corner.
3) Some may be waiting for LTE, expecting it to come sometime in the near future.
4) AT&T switchers are waiting to convert until their ETF drops, contract is up, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.