Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1
kinson7
macrumors newbie

Saving new contacts by default into Exchange

Hi guys,

I've just reset my dad's iPhone and synced it with his Exchange account, since all the contacts are there. The issue is that the default way of adding contacts to the iPhone (via the recent calls or the dialer) saves the contacts locally.

Is there any good way to have the contacts saved by default to the Exchange instead?

On a side note, opening the contacts and adjusting it slightly is very slow.

Thanks in advance!
kinson7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:51 PM   #2
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68020

If his phone is being synced over-the-air with Exchange, then make sure that "Sync Address Book Contacts" is unchecked in iTunes.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:09 PM   #3
kinson7
macrumors newbie

I don't sync the contacts via iTunes anymore. There is some sync issue with the contacts that I couldn't solve, so we went to put his contacts in the cloud instead.

The issue is that despite the (exchange) contacts being synced over-the-air, when you save a contact in the iphone via the dialer/recent-calls, it goes into the iPhone's local contact list by default, instead of into the exchange group. :/
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:11 PM   #4
blevins321
macrumors 68030

I struggled with this for the longest time until I discovered that I was looking at the All Contacts group instead of my Exchange contacts. Click the arrow in the upper left to go back a screen until you see something similar to the attached one. In my case, I have 2 exchange accounts - Personal Gmail (where I keep all mine) and my work exchange that I use just for email searching.

Go into whatever your equivalent to the Contacts under Gmail is, and add contacts in there. I just tried to close and reopen the Contacts app and it saves your folder between sessions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	283426  
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:14 PM   #5
kinson7
macrumors newbie

@blevins321:

Thanks for the suggestion, it's very useful. I've already done that for my dad, and it works when he saves contacts through the contacts app.

The main issue is that Apple has made it (rightfully so) very intuitive to save a contact from the dialer or recent-calls menu. all you have to do is click the right-arrow and you'll be able to "add to contacts", which dumps it into the iphone-contacts folder, instead of exchange, regardless of the default contact view in the contacts app.

I myself don't add contacts through the contacts app, as I normally key in the number in the dialer then hit the "+" button to create a contact :/
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:19 PM   #6
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Found it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinson7 View Post
@blevins321:

I myself don't add contacts through the contacts app, as I normally key in the number in the dialer then hit the "+" button to create a contact :/
I think I found it! I don't have a number to test it with though lol. In your mail/contacts/calendar settings, there is a setting under Contacts called Default Account. Selectable are the default On My iPhone and my Gmail (don't sync contacts with my work account). Try switching to the exchange account and get someone to call you from a new number and try adding it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	283432  
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:28 PM   #7
kinson7
macrumors newbie

Oh wow! Thats amazing! Thanks a lot man! I'll give it try on Sunday/Monday when I see my dad. It seems logical. I can't find the setting on my iPhone, but perhaps because I don't sync my contacts with an Exchange account (and the setting is hidden).

I'll report back in a few days. Thank so much! Owe you a drink cuppa
Old May 1, 2011, 10:03 AM   #8
kinson7
macrumors newbie

@blevins321:

It works! Thanks man! You're a life saver! I didn't think it was possible, but was just trying my luck here. You're awesome!
Old May 1, 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinson7 View Post
@blevins321:

It works! Thanks man! You're a life saver! I didn't think it was possible, but was just trying my luck here. You're awesome!
Lol you're welcome. . That had been at the back of my mind for awhile, and hearing someone else that was annoyed with it gave me an excuse to look.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting