CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2.25 GB
Bus Speed: 600 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f1
Serial Number: CK440HMTQYT
Please help me if this is possible to upgrade it to Snow leopard.

Thank you.
naira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 07:18 AM   #2
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Nope, sorry. Snow Leopard is Intel only.
kalsta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 09:28 AM   #3
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Absolutely not, sorry.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Bloodstar
macrumors regular

Your G5, as stated, pretty much maxes out at 10.5.8. You can try running a Linux distro on it, if you really need to, once Leopard's support completely ends. Leopard is still rather usable for most things, though, so keep that G5 around! After all, people still use Tiger after its official support has completely ended

If you absolutely need Snow Leopard, though, I'd advise looking at some older used Intel machines. Just make sure it's at least a Core 2 machine - the Core series is officially being dropped from Lion. (though I'm sure something like XPostFacto will surface for it...)
Old May 5, 2011, 01:41 AM   #5
naira
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to naira
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Nope, sorry. Snow Leopard is Intel only.
I got it,not possible. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodstar View Post
Your G5, as stated, pretty much maxes out at 10.5.8. You can try running a Linux distro on it, if you really need to, once Leopard's support completely ends. Leopard is still rather usable for most things, though, so keep that G5 around! After all, people still use Tiger after its official support has completely ended

If you absolutely need Snow Leopard, though, I'd advise looking at some older used Intel machines. Just make sure it's at least a Core 2 machine - the Core series is officially being dropped from Lion. (though I'm sure something like XPostFacto will surface for it...)
ok or it could be 10.5.9, thank you.

Last edited by kainjow; May 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: merged posts
naira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 03:06 PM   #6
AWallen90
macrumors 6502

Actually it is possible but would take hundreds or thousands of hours of coding depending on your skill set to make it work and I'm guessing you would be mainly using the same patches Leopard used so it really wouldn't give you any boost.
AWallen90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 04:29 PM   #7
TechnoDestructo
Banned

Even leopard is slow on that machine. Stick with Tiger.
TechnoDestructo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 06:39 PM   #8
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWallen90 View Post
Actually it is possible but would take hundreds or thousands of hours of coding depending on your skill set to make it work and I'm guessing you would be mainly using the same patches Leopard used so it really wouldn't give you any boost.
I dont know where you come from, in terms of viewpoint, but it isnt possible without access to Apple Internal Sourcecode. Even the most skilled hacker would need to put in thousands of man-years, because first youd have to reverse engineer both Operating Systems to completion, so you know whats changed, then youd need to recreate all the changes in such a way that they are identical in function to Apples Private, Closed-Source components. Then you'd need to bolt this on to a fundamentally changed PowerPC port of Snow Leopards Darwin, youd also need to port thousands of Intel-only headers to ensure binary compatability. Then youd need to meld on Leopards Applications or PowerPC versions of all of SnowLeopards - all many more hours of work, and even then it probably wouldn't work any better than 10.5, if it worked at all.
chrismacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 08:13 PM   #9
AWallen90
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismacguy View Post
I dont know where you come from, in terms of viewpoint, but it isnt possible without access to Apple Internal Sourcecode. Even the most skilled hacker would need to put in thousands of man-years, because first youd have to reverse engineer both Operating Systems to completion, so you know whats changed, then youd need to recreate all the changes in such a way that they are identical in function to Apples Private, Closed-Source components. Then you'd need to bolt this on to a fundamentally changed PowerPC port of Snow Leopards Darwin, youd also need to port thousands of Intel-only headers to ensure binary compatability. Then youd need to meld on Leopards Applications or PowerPC versions of all of SnowLeopards - all many more hours of work, and even then it probably wouldn't work any better than 10.5, if it worked at all.
I implied that it would end up running quite a bit worse than Leopard.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:20 AM   #10
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I implied that it would end up running quite a bit worse than Leopard.
I know, I just felt your comment needed a bit of elaboration to ensure the OP didnt start attempting to do it... (Ive seen this happen before...or at least claimed to)
Old May 11, 2011, 02:07 PM   #11
TechnoDestructo
Banned

I downgraded my 1.6 G5 security DVR computer from Leopard to Tiger. It gained 4fps at the same video resolution for motion detected video.
TechnoDestructo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 02:17 PM   #12
AWallen90
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismacguy View Post
I know, I just felt your comment needed a bit of elaboration to ensure the OP didnt start attempting to do it... (Ive seen this happen before...or at least claimed to)
Depending on who it was I might let them go for it, maybe even encourage them a little bit.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:47 AM   #13
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Depending on who it was I might let them go for it, maybe even encourage them a little bit.
I wouldn't, because without access to Apples Source Code, it would take a lot longer than a single lifetime. To do it, youd basically have to have as many people as Apple has, all as skilled as Apple's are, and then give them twice as long as they'd have to either obtain the source code to Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard thru industrial espionage, or you'd have to spend the extra year recreating as much of Leopard as possible. Its not like Aqua etc is exactly portable between machines.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs