Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 4, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Aviboy97
macrumors regular

Wife dropped iPad2, broken glass

Hey everyone,

My wife dropped our iPad2 64GB 3G this morning. Glass is broken and case is dented . I have an appointment at my local Apple Store this evening. I have an Apple Care warranty on the product, but, I highly doubt they will help me out.

Has anyone else had to replace the glass on their iPad2 yet? If so, how much did you have to pay?
Aviboy97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2
steadysignal
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviboy97 View Post
Hey everyone,

My wife dropped our iPad2 64GB 3G this morning. Glass is broken and case is dented . I have an appointment at my local Apple Store this evening. I have an Apple Care warranty on the product, but, I highly doubt they will help me out.

Has anyone else had to replace the glass on their iPad2 yet? If so, how much did you have to pay?

sad story. sucks man.

you may be surprised at the apple store, maybe you will get lucky...

there are a few firms that replace the glass but i prefer apple. even if it is a little more money, they replace the unit, rather than the glass (at a cost to you as a warranty replacement).

not read about ipad2 replacement screens - 1, sure. almost makes you want to get third party insurance on these units.

good luck, bro.
steadysignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

No case?
Old May 4, 2011, 11:11 AM   #4
jmthigpen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hey everyone,

make sure you get a good case for the next one

like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvZi18yYrQ
jmthigpen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Aviboy97
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post
No case?
My wife had it off.....this has ruined my day...
Old May 4, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6
megsandbytes
macrumors member

Never had anything like this happen before, and I don't know anyone personally who has dealt with a similar situation. I just hope for your sake that it is covered under warranty or it's not too pricey to get fixed. Let us know how it goes!!
Old May 4, 2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Oh My!

Makes it worse knowing you have a case thats usually on the pad, then the minute it comes off, the pad is dropped. Now, every time u look at the dent, u have to wonder if this situation would have occured if the case had not been taken off.

Dont u just hate wives some times.

That Sucks!
Old May 4, 2011, 12:13 PM   #8
pcs626
macrumors newbie

don't let it ruin your day - in the end, it's just an ipad.

check to see what Apple can do, and next time get the ADD insurance on it. By chance did you buy it on a credit card that gives you damage/loss/theft coverage for the first 60/90 days?
pcs626 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 12:19 PM   #9
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmthigpen View Post
make sure you get a good case for the next one

like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvZi18yYrQ
Wow. Nice case. I have never seen that one before. I think I may order one...
Old May 4, 2011, 12:19 PM   #10
iFiend
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I really doubt they'll cover it, or fix it. So you'll either pay for another or get a nice genius. I have heard a few times that Apple takes back a certain number of dropped/damaged/broken devices close to their launch so that they can study their durability, etc.

Here's to hoping you get a nice genius!
iFiend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 12:20 PM   #11
rworne
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Same situation here, but Apple is replacing it. I've posted pics on several threads here, but I can't from where I'm posting from now. It's pretty gruesome though.
rworne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Xeperu
macrumors 6502

OP drops iWife, face broken.

Upgrades to iWife2.

On a more serious note, expect a pretty penny for a glass and digitizer replacement.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:24 PM   #13
wpotere

Quote:
Takes a lot more than a broken device to ruin mine.
wpotere is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 12:28 PM   #14
walterwhite
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to walterwhite
Apple is usually very nice (genius bar) about making a "first time, one time only" replacement for either 1/2 price or free. They have that ability. If you are very sad and ask nicely they may do it.

worth a try.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:38 PM   #15
iFiend
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwhite View Post
Apple is usually very nice (genius bar) about making a "first time, one time only" replacement for either 1/2 price or free. They have that ability. If you are very sad and ask nicely they may do it.

worth a try.
This.

Just be honest, polite and forthright. Goes a long way with them.
iFiend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 12:43 PM   #16
rworne
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwhite View Post

worth a try.
When I was talking to Apple support, I could have sworn they were talking about $200 or so for the glass only, and possibly a $100 more if the case needed replacing too.

Hard to say since I forgot about it when my call got bumped to a Sr. Advisor who waived all repair charges. Apple does charge a 50% MSRP flat rate repair charge. One other thing to do (mentioned above) is check your credit card terms and look for accidental damage coverage. Quite a few have them - especially rewards cards.
rworne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 12:48 PM   #17
wpotere

If you have home owners insurance, it might cover it.
wpotere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 01:01 PM   #18
iTunes-Luv
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to iTunes-Luv Send a message via Skype™ to iTunes-Luv
If you paid by credit cards, check the policy for accidental damage insurance. You will have to send some pictures, the receipt and wait for weeks. For an iPad 2, I guess it's worth it.
iTunes-Luv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 01:15 PM   #19
Aviboy97
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTunes-Luv View Post
If you paid by credit cards, check the policy for accidental damage insurance. You will have to send some pictures, the receipt and wait for weeks. For an iPad 2, I guess it's worth it.
I already checked with my credit card company and they do not offer accident protection in my state.

I called the Apple Customer Care center and they were the ones who scheduled the appointment at my local Apple Store for me. I told them the truth....my wife dropped in in a parking lot.

I just got it 2 weeks ago and I purchased an Apple Care protection plan. I hope they realize that I have already spent a boat load of $$ on it and they help me out. Afterall, it is the 64GB 3G version.

I looked into the Cyber Acoustics case, it is seems damn good. If I can get my screen fixed, I am buying it. At this point, another $40 is a drop in the bucket.

Anyone know how I can upload a pic?
Old May 4, 2011, 01:33 PM   #20
aaronw1986
macrumors 68030

I thought I've read the replacement price for something like this is $300?
2007 MBP 15" 2.4Ghz Glossy:4GB RAM
aaronw1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 01:47 PM   #21
Smoothness
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs626 View Post
don't let it ruin your day - in the end, it's just an ipad.

check to see what Apple can do, and next time get the ADD insurance on it. By chance did you buy it on a credit card that gives you damage/loss/theft coverage for the first 60/90 days?
No, its not just an ipad.

if it was an ipad 16 gig, he bought 2 weeks ago i woulda been like ok. that sucks. but OP says its the ipad 2 64 gig 3g...over 800 dollars.

I'd be pissed.
Smoothness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 04:04 PM   #22
K4LK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I dropped mine on the corner, ceramic tile floor. Glass cracked. I met the Genius next day and told him that I never dropped my iPad 1 but managed to drop this one. He mentioned the cost of replacing at $400. He told me that AppleCare doesn't cover damage. He appreciated my honesty and said that everyone is entitled to an "awe shoot". It was replaced free. I was so thrilled that I bought an iPad 2 dock.
Old May 4, 2011, 04:15 PM   #23
taylor200588
macrumors regular

Take it back and ask for a refund

Might want to try the same with th iPad too ;D
Apple TV
taylor200588 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 05:44 PM   #24
diamondschwin
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to diamondschwin
My wife just recently had a shattered iphone replaced for free. specific mention was made of the fact that she had the extended warranty. its not near launch day for the iphone at all, in fact she even had water damage on top of that!
diamondschwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 08:21 PM   #25
fastblack
macrumors regular

Find a good lawyer for the divorce.
fastblack is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad