Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18, 2011, 04:03 PM   #1
un.titled
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exclamation iMac internal speakers not working, please help.

When I turn my iMac on the computer chimes, but after the operating system loads, the internal speakers will not work. Headphones (wireless and wired) work, but when I unplug any external sound device, no sound will play. When I try to turn up/down the volume through my keyboard, this is what I get:



Computer specs:
Model: White 24"
CPU: 2.16 GHz C2D
Ram: 4GB
OS: 10.6.7

Any ideas?
Thank you.
un.titled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 04:11 PM   #2
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by un.titled View Post
When I turn my iMac on the computer chimes, but after the operating system loads, the internal speakers will not work. Headphones (wireless and wired) work, but when I unplug any external sound device, no sound will play. When I try to turn up/down the volume through my keyboard, this is what I get:

Image

Computer specs:
Model: White 24"
CPU: 2.16 GHz C2D
Ram: 4GB
OS: 10.6.7

Any ideas?
Thank you.
Go to System Preferences, Sound and then check if the output is set to "internal speakers"...
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 04:13 PM   #3
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Is there a red light coming out of the audio out port?
If so plug and pull the TRS (3.5mm) connector of your headphones until it disappears.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 04:15 PM   #4
un.titled
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Go to System Preferences, Sound and then check if the output is set to "internal speakers"...
un.titled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 04:15 PM   #5
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Is there a red light coming out of the audio out port?
If so plug and pull the TRS (3.5mm) connector of your headphones until it disappears.
Yep, this can happen as well, since the digital and analog sound connections are together...
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 04:17 PM   #6
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by un.titled View Post
So this is the problem that the other poster indicated...your digital audio connector got stuck...insert the headphone again until it disappears.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...em-solved.html

Or here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 04:27 PM   #7
un.titled
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Is there a red light coming out of the audio out port?
If so plug and pull the TRS (3.5mm) connector of your headphones until it disappears.


No red light.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
So this is the problem that the other poster indicated...your digital audio connector got stuck...insert the headphone again until it disappears.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...em-solved.html

Or here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
I have repeatedly inserted the jack and even jiggled it while it was in the port, and still nothing. I'm guessing there is some sort of button that is supposed to pop out when pulling out the jack, letting the internal speakers know to kick on?
un.titled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 04:51 PM   #8
cawesjmu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by un.titled View Post
No red light.
Look directly into the hole. It's not very bright. Turn off all the lights and put your hand right behind the hole and see if you can see anything on your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by un.titled View Post
]
I'm guessing there is some sort of button that is supposed to pop out when pulling out the jack, letting the internal speakers know to kick on?
Yes, there's supposed to be a switch that disengages. You could try a toothpick if you're brave. Or you could take it to the Apple store.
cawesjmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:28 PM   #9
mmayer18
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Smile Thank you re: the switch in the earphone socket

I used a paperclip. It works fine now. So glad I don't have to go into the Apple store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawesjmu View Post
Look directly into the hole. It's not very bright. Turn off all the lights and put your hand right behind the hole and see if you can see anything on your hand.



Yes, there's supposed to be a switch that disengages. You could try a toothpick if you're brave. Or you could take it to the Apple store.
mmayer18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:35 PM   #10
DoubleVision19
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by un.titled View Post

I have repeatedly inserted the jack and even jiggled it while it was in the port, and still nothing. I'm guessing there is some sort of button that is supposed to pop out when pulling out the jack, letting the internal speakers know to kick on?

Have you tried using a different headphone jack? I had that same issue with my mac. Tried plugging/unplugging the headphone jack and it always stayed in mute mode. And all I did was use a different headphone jack and resolved it.

Hope this little piece of information works out for you.
DoubleVision19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:26 PM   #11
00hkelly
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Had exactly this issue on a 2009 27"iMac, nothing was working until I simply blew into the headphone jack. Might work for others...?
__________________
27" iMac, 2.8 GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD
MBP C2D 2.33, 3gb, 15", 120gb
iPhone 3G
00hkelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
upgrading internal speakers hotrod351 MacBook Pro 5 Aug 11, 2013 11:16 AM
How to get the sound working with M-Audio Fast Track to my internal speakers. busterflex Mac Basics and Help 2 Apr 10, 2013 01:27 PM
Best way to get speakers working with 2012 imac? tredstone iMac 10 Jan 15, 2013 07:05 AM
No Sound From iMac Internal Speakers?? ObiJuan2080 iMac 5 Sep 2, 2012 09:22 AM
No Audio on internal speakers SilverMermaid MacBook 1 Jul 17, 2012 03:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC