Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Hello all,

For better or worse, I'm stuck using my dual-500MHz G4 tower (Gigabit Ethernet) for the time being as my main machine. It's got an almost-new fast hard drive and half a gig of RAM, so it's not bad, but I'd like to upgrade it to a Quartz Extreme-capable graphics card (it has the stock ADC+VGA ATI Rage 128...yuck). For reference, this is the model with 2X AGP that does have the ability to drive ADC displays, unlike the original Sawtooth/Yikes G4s. My only other requirement is that it has a DVI port--I'd rather not be stuck using the VGA out to drive my perfectly good digital monitor. As such, I know that an ATI Radeon (original) or Radeon 8500 will fit the bill fine, but the original Radeons are hard to find, and the 8500 goes for a good bit of money. I don't really care about high-end performance, so there's no point considering an ATI 9800/9700 unless it's super-cheap.

As such, I was thinking of picking up a Geforce 4MX or similar pulled from an MDD G4--but here's the question. The MDD was AGP 4X, my machine is AGP 2X. I know most of the 4X ATI cards work fine in a 2X slot; will the Geforce4MX?

(The dilemma is that the only DVI-port-equipped cards available are the retail Radeons (typically costly) and the cards from the MDD machines (everything from the Gigabit Ethernet through Quicksilver 2002 only had VGA+ADC ports). Oh, and the Rage 128s from the Sawtooth machines, but that's not useful, as I want Quartz Extreme support to offload some of the work off of my tired old 500MHz CPUs) I'd ideally like to spend no more than 10-20 bucks on this. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Thanks for the input! All signs seem to point towards a Geforce4MX working...excellent. That way, I can get Quartz Extreme, DVI out, and still retain the reliable, silent fanless design that I prefer :) (My Dualie is plenty loud enough without extra help)

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Thanks for the help, folks. I've got a very inexpensive Geforce4MX on the way. Should fit my needs perfectly :)

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Great! Let us know how it works out when it arrives.

Following up: got the Geforce4 MX today, and it works perfectly. No added noise, and I've now got nice clean digital output and smooth visual effects (Exposé etc...). Well worth $10. :D:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.