Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harponia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2011
I am truly desperate for some help...my G4 desktop 10.3.9 suddenly made everything on my desktop screen magnified and enlarged. I need to get everything back to normal size.

I have tried: shutting down the computer-
My mouse is just a plastic oval with no ball so pushing control and dragging doesn't work-
I have gone to the Zoom page under Universal Access/preferences but my computer does not have the squiggly signed key they are telling me I need to erase the zoom if that is what is happening here-

I believe I was in preferences,trying to get my doc bar back up again when this happened. I may have also been in safari, which I think has some kind of zoom thing for this computer.

I am in the middle of a big work project and really need help.
Thanks so much!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You turned on Zoom in Universal Access accidentally. This is easily fixed - open System Preferences and uncheck "Turn on Zoom".

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I have gone to the Zoom page under Universal Access/preferences but my computer does not have the squiggly signed key they are telling me I need to erase the zoom if that is what is happening here-

The key combination you're looking for is Control-Option-Command-F5. The Command key may also simply be labeled with an Apple symbol :apple: on your keyboard. That will turn off Screen Zoom if that's what you turned on. Also check the display resolution under System Preferences -> Displays as Jolly Jimmy suggested.

jW

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
What makes you think the OP has not tried that? ;)

His post. The OP very clearly stated that they couldn't find the key that was referenced, so obviously they did not use that keyboard shortcut in an attempt to turn off screen zoom, since they did not know what it was.

jW

harponia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2011
Screen magnified/Thanks

So I called the independent mac store here in Berkeley and was told that it was indeed the resolution which somehow had gotten switched. So now the documents are the same size again...only now I can't get my desktop pictures to stretch to fill the screen!
MANY thanks to all of you who answered me.
Harponia

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
So I called the independent mac store here in Berkeley and was told that it was indeed the resolution which somehow had gotten switched. So now the documents are the same size again...only now I can't get my desktop pictures to stretch to fill the screen!
MANY thanks to all of you who answered me.
Harponia

I assume you checked the Desktop options in System Preferences? I'd switch the stretch options to something else and then back if it's not working properly right now. Glad you got the other issue figured out!

jW

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
His post. The OP very clearly stated that they couldn't find the key that was referenced, so obviously they did not use that keyboard shortcut in an attempt to turn off screen zoom, since they did not know what it was.

:D You glossed over the ;) in my post. I was referring to the title "...tried everything". That's one of my favorites, right up there with a statement followed by question marks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.