Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 31, 2011, 11:52 PM   #1
seedman76
macrumors member

best way to transfer thousands of photos from PC to Mac

I have a new 13" MBP and am a mac newbie. I have 8,400 photos (28GB worth) stored on my 5 year old Dell running Windows XP. I transferred all of them to a Seagate wireless external hard drive. The only way I can access the external drive from my Mac is via a web portal. I tried downloading my entire "My Pictures" folder from the external drive to my Mac but that's not allowed. It requires me to download each file (photo) separately. I can't download entire folders. Obviously this will take entirely too long with this many photos. What other method(s) can I use to import these photos from my PC to Mac. I plan to use iPhoto to manage them if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.
seedman76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Can't you borrow a standard USB external drive?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:18 AM   #3
ksmith80209
macrumors 6502a

Have you thought about using Dropbox for this?
ksmith80209 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:49 AM   #4
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith80209 View Post
Have you thought about using Dropbox for this?
28Gig - that's not really feasible.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:06 AM   #5
kirsch92
macrumors member

iPhoto library needs to be on HFS+ local drive. One of my gripes with iPhoto. Also seems silly you can't import from any drive a mac read, but the Apple forums seem to support that.

BUT, Aperture 3 can have its library anywhere.

Grab a free trial of Aperture 3 from the Apple website, try and import onto your drive with that.
Even IF you don't keep A3, once the photos are local, you ought to be able to get them into iPhoto.

I don't know for sure if this will work and may be a PITA, but it is a Free solution,
or you may find that A3 is well worth the 80 bones for the freedom it gives you over iPhoto.
kirsch92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:04 PM   #6
rmb7984
macrumors regular

There are quite a few ways to do this.

The easiest may be to copy them over your local network. It'll take a while if it's wireless, but should work just fine.

The fastest way will be to copy them to an external HD that connects with USB or firewire, then connect the HD directly to your new macbook and drag and drop them into iPhoto.
rmb7984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Chuushajou
macrumors regular

Do you still have the old Dell computer with all the pictures on? A straight Ethernet to Ethernet data transfer would be the best bet. Here is a support article, scroll down to "direct connect" http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store