Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 1, 2011, 07:58 PM   #1
orbitalpunk
macrumors regular

How to make my own iCloud?

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a way to make something similar to my own iCloud using either a godaddy FTP account or MobileMe account? I would just upload my mp3 folders to the remote location but is there a way to have it either cataloged into a html page with clickable links to the songs to stream or is there an app that could read the ftp folder and generate a library? Why do we need iCloud to do this? There has got to be a way for us to utilize our FTP's for this.

thanks for any advice
orbitalpunk is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 06:30 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Any web hosting provider will be able to list the contents of a leased space with clickable links. This is not what the "iCloud" purports to be; the main advantages of iCloud will probably be tighter OS integration and streaming to an iDevice. You cannot do this over FTP.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 07:36 AM   #3
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Have you investigated Audiogalaxy?
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:38 AM   #4
maflynn

one thing to keep in mind, many web hosts prohibit using the server as a file server. Check out the TOS before trying to set something up.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Nikh
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
Actually, you can easily upload all your mp3's to web server, do some PHP coding to auto-generate playlists/restrict access to mp3s, and you'l have remote storage. However, that's not the functionality of iCloud - you should also have mp3 play which is smart enough to cache all streamed music, auto-search for new data, etc.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 01:52 PM   #6
davids8477
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a way to make something similar to my own iCloud using either a godaddy FTP account or MobileMe account? I would just upload my mp3 folders to the remote location but is there a way to have it either cataloged into a html page with clickable links to the songs to stream or is there an app that could read the ftp folder and generate a library? Why do we need iCloud to do this? There has got to be a way for us to utilize our FTP's for this.

thanks for any advice
With NICECASTE you can stream music to the web and listen on many different types of devices.

With Iteleport (or similar) you can control you computer from anywhere - therefore changing the song being played.

Not exactly Icloud - but it works for me reasonably well.
davids8477 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:17 PM   #7
SHADO
macrumors 6502a

I'm an avid mSpot user and have been pleased with its service so far. I use it when I'm on my Windows 7 side and don't have access to my iTunes Library. I also share it with friends who want to listen to my music.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

FTP wouldn't allow you to stream media - you would have to get he file locally and launch a player app to play it.

There are cloud storage services that do allow streaming. ZumoDrive for example has an iOS app that recognizes audio files in your cloud storage and plays them directly (sort of - it actually buffers files locally, but that's behind the scenes).

The speculation seems to be that iCloud will be much more integrated and automated than a simple file locker, but we'll know better next week.
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store