Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam235

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
CA
dnt get me wrong, i am a huge apple fan, but i dnt get what the iPad is really for or what it can do that the iphone or ipod cannot currently do? what do u guys use it for other that internet, what are your opinions on the ipod and its price? what age do u think its most suitable for? thanks :D have a gr8 day:)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
it's really for shimming wobbly tables. that's what it's really for. really.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Dinner Plate
ipad2-plate.jpg

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
IPad vs iPod Touch... Screen bigger on iPad

What can you do:
Make/edit movies
Create music
Play games
Write stuff
Design graphics/drawings/art
Doctors use it in their practices
Used in schools for educational purposes.
Newscasters use them as portable teleprompters
Etc...

Age: there are Apps for babys/toddlers, but would you trust a young kid with a $500 device...

superericla

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
The main difference between an iPad and an iPhone or iPod Touch is the screen which really serves as the main feature difference in my opinion. Going from a small screen to the iPad's screen really is a significant difference and creates a completely different experience.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
A portable and low power "Jack of all trades and Master of None"

Would be my best explanation.

It does not play games, do emails, browse the web, play music, display Videos, write documents, take notes, etc, etc, as well as other larger devices, but it does them all to some extent.

So if you are not near to a better device, or can't be bothered to turn on the better device, then the iPad will manage to do it for you, albeit in perhaps slower or simplified manner.

That's not trying to criticize the product, it's just a realisation that it's a compromise device.

Rikithemonk

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
This question really irritates me. I don't get why people don't just get one and use it. I wasn't sure how much I would use the iPad when the iPad 1 first came out. So I purchased the cheapest one Apple sold. I never once regretted the purchase. Let me tell you what I use the iPad for.

My day.

Wake up and go to the bathroom. Grab the iPad and use "early edition" to read the news. (I set ED to grab all my news websites.). I then go to work and my iPad goes on my desk. I log into my IM using "bejive". This allows me to have my facebook IM and my yahoo IM logged in at the same time. I then chat with the wife and flirt with my girlfriend all day. At lunch I grab my iPad and surf the web or read the news. I go home. At home I hit the bathroom with my iPad and play either hidden object games, or "bejeweled" type games. The rest of the evening is me on Netflix (apple tv) I don't have cable.

A great example is both yesterday and right now. Yesterday the wife was nagging me about a house she found. She is looking to buy our first home. I wanted to relax and watch my tv show. So instead of dragging me to the den where the pc is, she grabbed the iPad and showed me what she found on the sofa. Never missed a minute of the show.

This morning woke up ungodly early and just couldn't get back to sleep. I've been considering upgrading my iOS in my iPad 1 to version 4. So I grabbed my iPad and crashed on the sofa with a blanket. Googled iPad upgrade problems and found this thread. Signed up and posted this response. Cuddled on my sofa, under my blanket, with my coffee, and my geriatric dog at my feet.

That's what the iPad is for.

Vikz

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Travel computer!

I'm right know in Mexico for two week and the iPad has been able todo all the consuming content I need to stay on top of things back home. :cool:

Sam235

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
CA
thanks for ur opinions guys, i guess i should give the iPad another chance i might end up buying one :p

Annerz

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
New Jersey
I mostly use it for carrying around when I don't feel like bringing my Macbook but I also preferr for games rather than the iPhone.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
This question really irritates me. I don't get why people don't just get one and use it.

Because most people aren't just going to spend $500+ on a devise they have no idea what they're going to use for maybe? I don't see that as being unreasonable.

As for the iPad, I have my own business so I use it as a replacement for paper and fax. Let me explain. I have a contract with a chain that has locations all over my area. In the old days when they needed service they would fax me a work order which I then would have to go pick up at the office and take with me so when I was done the store manager would sign and I would then fax back to them. Now because of the iPad, they will e-mail the PDF version, and then I use PDF expert for the manager to sign on my iPad and I then e-mail them back the signed work order. Saves me alot of trouble of having to go back to the office to pick up the fax and then going back to fax them the signed document. I also use it to generate receipts for customers and to take credit credit card payments. Now all of this is also possible on the iPhone, but the larger screen makes reading and signing everything much easier on my clients.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
dnt get me wrong, i am a huge apple fan, but i dnt get what the iPad is really for or what it can do that the iphone or ipod cannot currently do? what do u guys use it for other that internet, what are your opinions on the ipod and its price? what age do u think its most suitable for? thanks :D have a gr8 day:)

Lots of people questioned the usefulness of the tablet form factor when the iPad was first announced. "But my iPod touch can do all of that", they said.

My favourite analogy was this: It's like saying a swimming pool does the same thing as a bathtub. Sure, both are just tanks of water. But the pool is so much larger that it lets you do so much more with it.

Same with the iPad.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
What's an iPad REALLY for?

Making money for Apple and its investors. :D
I appreciate your purchase. ;)

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
The main difference between an iPad and an iPhone or iPod Touch is the screen which really serves as the main feature difference in my opinion. Going from a small screen to the iPad's screen really is a significant difference and creates a completely different experience.
Not only that everything is better from Safari to the music app it feels like your running iTunes , websites you could only run mobile actually don't need to this thing feels more like a laptop/CPU than "big iPod touch" like people like to say

Frankestein

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
United States
In my opinion it is best for web browsing,viewing PDF files, watching movies and for playing games...!It is portable device and you can easily use it anywhere you want...!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.