Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR20DETDOG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Queensland Australia
Me and some others were going through a bunch of photos from my birthday party the previous night and one pointed out to me that there was an 'orb' in one of them. Apparently these are believed to be the presence of a spirit, I just dismissed as a bit of light reflection when I first saw it but then I had a closer look and it indeed looked different. I've never seen something like this before, I'm wondering if someone with more knowledge of photography can explain what is actually being captured here:confused:

These are just a couple of images from google but they show the same thing that was in my photo.
I'm assuming it's still some type of reflection from light.
spirit-orb.jpg

Picture+orbs+002.jpg

SR20DETDOG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Queensland Australia
I think its usually dust caught by the flash

Ahhh, As soon as I started putting the word dust into my searches it started bringing up completely different results. Seems like it was just a bit of dust. Thanks G.T.

Interesting how it gives it an almost 'ball of energy' look to it instead of the usually quite uniform reflections I usually see.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Dust or water vapor. Water vapor can do it too. I had people at work flipping out one time because shots I took during the rain had these all over the place.

Its usually caused when the flash is close to the lens but can still happen even if it is an off shoe flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.