Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
The latest news from the front page and the blog, the ones added by MacRumors, seem to have a very, as one user said, "irritating" tone in them.

Some are just trying to be friendly, but by doing so, they just turn out feeling out of place, specially in a serious forum like this. I've always liked the straight news I find here, I don't really want much opinions from the first post. Just news. The latest news posts just seem out of place in this forum.

Anyone else noticing this? I'm on my iPad, so I can't post easily many links or copy text. But some examples can be seen in most of the announcements of today's WWDC and the article from Verizon and the iOS 5.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Each article has a byline so you can check who wrote it. I tend to recognize the writing style of each editor without even looking for the byline. They each have their individual style, which doesn't bother me.

It also doesn't surprise me that some readers prefer a just-the-facts reporter style and some readers are fine with a more colloquial or personal blogging style.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I have to agree with the OP. I hate to single out anyone in particular, but the articles written by Jordon Golson are pretty bad. Bad enough that I noticed just skimming the article:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1165688/

A few snippets that I thought sounded pretty unprofessional (un-MacRumors):

...Some iOS developers are making bank...

...and, if your app is good enough, Apple might just give it some sweet, sweet lovin'...

...Apple has cleared a sweet $4 million off...

C'mon guys, you're better than this. :rolleyes:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It sounds like some are endorsing MacRumors Censorship. If you don't like an individual's writing style, don't read it! It's no different than anything you find on the web. You can't please all the people all the time. Read what you like and ignore the rest, if it irritates you so much!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Jordan just started this week. I agree some of the style is a bit unusual for the site, but give it a bit of an adjustment time.

arn

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
I'm more bothered by the sharp increase in typos and grammatical errors of late than the type of "style" thing quoted above.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm more bothered by the sharp increase in typos and grammatical errors of late than the type of "style" thing quoted above.

I've seen quite a few too.

For example, I reported the errors in the iMessage article where it's referred to several times as iMessages.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I've seen quite a few too.

For example, I reported the errors in the iMessage article where it's referred to several times as iMessages.

Where did you submit these reports?

arn

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Where did you submit these reports?

arn

Post reports.

Just saw errors (html tags showing) on the iOS 5 works just fine on iPhone 3GS article.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-07 at 7.26.15 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-07 at 7.26.15 PM.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 209

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
It sounds like some are endorsing MacRumors Censorship. If you don't like an individual's writing style, don't read it! It's no different than anything you find on the web. You can't please all the people all the time. Read what you like and ignore the rest, if it irritates you so much!
There's no need to get testy, we're not bringing this up to make anyone feel bad. I've been here for 7 years, and I just want to help MacRumors maintain the level of succinct and professional news that it has always delivered.

I don't promote censorship, that's not what this is about. This isn't some random individual in the forum, it's an (I assume) hired and paid employee who is writing articles for the front page, and is thus part of the face of MacRumors.

Please don't turn your back on the community just because you take offense to our opinions. :) I readily acknowledge that others will certainly enjoy Jordan's writing style, but a friendly discussion certainly shouldn't be frowned upon.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
i commented about the style being douchy in the main news thread but it got deleted by the mods. i'll be sure to mention its douchy in the site forum feedback section instead.

Jordan just started this week. I agree some of the style is a bit unusual for the site, but give it a bit of an adjustment time.

arn

no free iphone for him

Last edited by a moderator:

May 8, 2008
There's no need to get testy, we're not bringing this up to make anyone feel bad. I've been here for 7 years, and I just want to help MacRumors maintain the level of succinct and professional news that it has always delivered.

I don't promote censorship, that's not what this is about. This isn't some random individual in the forum, it's an (I assume) hired and paid employee who is writing articles for the front page, and is thus part of the face of MacRumors.

Please don't turn your back on the community just because you take offense to our opinions. :) I readily acknowledge that others will certainly enjoy Jordan's writing style, but a friendly discussion certainly shouldn't be frowned upon.

I agree. IMO, there is a marked difference between a forum user/ poster and someone who is working for MR.

While one can simply ignore an offensive/ disliked/ idiotic forum user/ poster, one cannot as simply ignore XX percentage of Front Page posts generated by a staff member.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009

I agree. Besides, in my opinion a news sites should stay the most neutral possible when giving news. Unless its some kind of review of a product, of course.

It's clear that Jordan knows how to write, I would certainly enjoy reading his posts in a products user review, were the poster opinion is expected. And I'm sure eventually he'll find a balance between this style and the one normally used for news posts. I was just trying to point out something I feel changed, and that it can be improved. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
i commented about the style being douchy in the main news thread but it got deleted by the mods.
Criticizing the writing or the site isn't against the rules. If you say it's OK I'll explain here why your post was removed. You can also PM me or submit a Contact form if you don't know and want a private answer.

Last edited:

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think complaining about a person's tone qualifies as censorship. I think people are complaining about the composition and what ultimately seems to put people off. There's a difference between wanting the writing expunged to perhaps altering what he rights so its more professional.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Add me to the list of people who are really not liking Golson's writing style. Not to mention the way he handled the Domino's pizza post the other day.

I've always liked MacRumors because, while they are discussing rumors, the posts by the staff have a strong "news" approach to them. The commentary is left to the commentators, and its always fun to see the MacRumors staff add their comments on the forum as well.

But Golson's posts come across as "baiting" for comments. Not necessary. Let the story generate comments, not the editorializing.

If I wanted that kind of writing, I would stilil be reading TUAW. Dear Macrumors, please don't become TUAW.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Add me to the list of people who are really not liking Golson's writing style. Not to mention the way he handled the Domino's pizza post the other day.

I've always liked MacRumors because, while they are discussing rumors, the posts by the staff have a strong "news" approach to them. The commentary is left to the commentators, and its always fun to see the MacRumors staff add their comments on the forum as well.

But Golson's posts come across as "baiting" for comments. Not necessary. Let the story generate comments, not the editorializing.

If I wanted that kind of writing, I would stilil be reading TUAW. Dear Macrumors, please don't become TUAW.

Good god, I hope it doesn't come to this. One of the main reasons I only "glance" over articles at that site.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Maybe I am not paying attention to the site much anymore but who is Jordan Golson? Is he a member or someone off the street?

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Maybe I am not paying attention to the site much anymore but who is Jordan Golson? Is he a member or someone off the street?

arn
He's a recent hire for MacRumors, who writes articles for the front page along with arn and Eric.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.