Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Inspired by a thread by the same name in the Lion forum, this thread is dedicated to "all the little things" that are new in iOS 5 but not mentioned at the Keynote.

• Custom Vibrations can be set - Video by dspalton
    photo1.png

• Rotating iCal on iPhone shows Week View:
    xe06x3.png

• New 'Twitter' Keyboard which is also used in browser - FrogBot
    photo.PNG

• iCloud mentions of "Buying More Storage" - Racedude (Images by funrush and dspalton)
    IMG_1473.PNG
    ARbtviXCMAIGeWE.jpg

• Hourly forecast in Weather.app - funrush
    IMG_1468.PNG

• Storage info in Settings.app (with ability to delete) - funrush
    IMG_1476.PNG

• iTunes Syncing in Settings.app - funrush
    IMG_1471.PNG

• Custom sounds for separate occurrences - funrush
    IMG_1470.PNG

• Ability to define words in offline dictionary (Opens as an overlay on iPad) - Vitruviux and Haphadon (images)
    IMG_0911.png
    IMG_0912.png

• LED Notifications for missed calls etc! - Image from testcard; Video
    attachment.php

• If you tap and hold on a song name in Music.app, a popup shows all the details. - Benna
    photo-150x150.png

• The city of the caller is now shown (Might be USA-specific, anyone?) - racedude
    attachment.php

• When you are in the Camera app you can slide to the left and it goes to your current photo gallery, then slide back to the right and it goes back to the live camera view. - CheesePuff
  • When you type in a phone number, iOS automatically detects wether it is capable of sending an iMessage, so it's completely integrated into the messages app - Racedude
  • Green SMS button = SMS, Blue SMS Button (as we have now) = iMessage - Racedude
  • When an app crashes, instead of snapping out, it fades back to the home screen - Harry20larry
  • When making directions in Maps, you can select several routes before starting - Racedude
  • Weather now has a "My Location" screen, and tapping on the day brings up the hourly forecast - Racedude
  • You can delete songs from directly off your iOS device - Racedude
  • Improved Usage screen, allows you to see exactly how much space each application is taking up - Racedude
  • In Messages, a message sent via iMessage is blue, rather than green
  • When ignoring a notification then locking screen, the notification isn't seen on the lock screen (possible b1 bug?)
  • You can now delete individual calls now
  • You can turn off badge app icon which means I can still get notifications from an app but dont have to have to open it up now to get rid of that red number - flatfoot99
  • App Store Downloads now download concurrently, instead of one at a time like on < iOS5 - astroot
  • You can mark an email is read by doing edit, now where you have move and delete you also have mark, which marks it as read - andythursby
  • When switching the mute switch back to on, the hud with the bell also shows the volume boxes. - waffles123

• You can now set the maximum messages downloaded through email to 1000 instead of 250 - rssfed23
  • Before, when adding a calendar event, you had to click "add" and fiddle with that stupid date/time wheel. Now, you can simply double tap the calander, and it brings up a new entry. You can slide the begning and end times of the box too. - propynyl

PLUS the list from BGR
  • iPod is now 'Music' and 'Video' separately - androiphone (Image BGR)
    4ded50c31c652110606221219-500x749.jpg
  • The new rounded toggles:
    4ded50c6c02c5110606221222.jpg
  • Preference to open pages in Safari in a new page or in background (amazing!).
  • More alert choices for emails, calendar, and the ability to buy more.
    [*] Ability to create keyboard shortcuts (autotext) to replace custom phrases. The default entry is “omw” which is replaced with, “On my way!”
  • Software update option in settings to check for the latest OS.
  • Sync now button to wireless sync to iTunes
  • Ability to customize how notifications in Notification Center look — you can customize how many recent ones to show, 1, 5 or 10, if it’s showed in the lock screen, if it’s in Notification Center, and also the alert style, banner or alert style.
  • Twitter installs directly from the settings page if it’s not installed directly, you aren’t even taken to the App Store.
  • FaceTime button in iMessage messages at the top now
  • Tweeting photos is, so so slick. It displays on Twitter as powered by Photobucket, and it’s from iOS.
  • There’s a new option to print out from the Maps app… hilarious.
    [*] You can make new albums right from the device itself in Photos.
  • You can move and add photos to albums.
  • You can customize the default alert times. So now when you enter a calendar entry, you don’t have to set the default alert time you like
  • It seems that Reminders sync with Exchange (Tasks basically), but you can’t set location-based reminders if you’re on Exchange, just with iCloud. You can selectively choose where to sync the reminder.
  • You can set the caller ID for FaceTime calls, so if you call someone, you can choose it to display your cellular number or email address.
  • In the weather app, there is a new pane for a current location which will show you weather for wherever you are.
    [*] When syncing with iTunes you can use the device normally ‚ no more syncing screen!
  • You can delete individual calls from the call list

There is also an extensive list by forum user benna here.

Feel free to add your findings, and I'll try to add them to this list ASAP

Last edited:

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
OH WOW, I totally forgot about that. That can be annoying, they need something smaller

I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will have some sort of less bright led notification when it comes out! I have seen patents for LEDs under the glass i think for notifications which would be awesome!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Now that is a nice list to add. Now if they would allow us to install custom keyboards we would be set.

FrogBot

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Loving the keyboard for posting to twitter, also note the uneven size of the bottom three keys, this carries across to the email/website keyboards as well.

photo.PNG

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Don't forget that they split the iPod app into separate apps like on the iPod touch/iPad. Also, a LOT of UI tweaks.

This is a much bigger update than from 3.0 to 4.0.

racedude

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
Carmel, IN
Some changes I found:

-When making directions in Maps, you can select several routes before starting
-Weather now has a "My Location" screen, and tapping on the day brings up the hourly forecast
-You can now use your device while it is syncing
-You can delete songs from directly off your iOS device
-Improved Usage screen, allows you to see exactly how much space each application is taking up
-iCloud mentions of "Buying More Storage"
-When you type in a phone number, iOS automatically detects wether it is capable of sending an iMessage, so it's completely integrated into the messages app
-Green SMS button = SMS, Blue SMS Button (as we have now) = iMessage
-You currently cannot select from any of the default wallpapers, it just shows a white screen (Bug)

bluap84

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
UK
I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will have some sort of less bright led notification when it comes out! I have seen patents for LEDs under the glass i think for notifications which would be awesome!

i hope they have a front facing LED because having it on the rear is stupid! So lets see what the iphone5 has...but with iOS5 and iPhone 5 its going to be unstoppable.

blackberry + iphone = EPIC PHONE!!!

blackberry now has some major catching up to do, if the LED feature is true and with iMessage theres nothing left for blackberry

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
i hope they have a front facing LED because having it on the rear is stupid! So lets see what the iphone5 has...but with iOS5 and iPhone 5 its going to be unstoppable.

blackberry + iphone = EPIC PHONE!!!

blackberry now has some major catching up to do, if the LED feature is true and with iMessage theres nothing left for blackberry

or you want to actually have some word processing, or you like the OS, or you dont want the clutter of having extra stuff.
People arent all 15 year old kids and want Blackberries for BBM.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
all the little things

IOS 5 may now have Reader part of Safari so while Apple says its "new" to IOS which is true, its old to the mac....

Its funny how these little details you have on the mac, suddenly they chrop in the a later IOS and everyone goes "wow", when in fact its been part of OS X since Safari 5.0 .... Apple just moved it to mobile device.

Still, a good feature though.

As for tweets, well i don't use twitter anyway,.

By the way, seeing that IOS 5 will walk you thought setting up iCloud after update. What if you don't want to set it up. Can you back out or must you go through it ?

bluap84

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
UK
or you want to actually have some word processing, or you like the OS, or you dont want the clutter of having extra stuff.
People arent all 15 year old kids and want Blackberries for BBM.

ha i was just saying...those two features is all blackberry has going for it. When ever you see a blackberry on tv or in a magazine it always has BBM displayed.

But now imessage is here and blackberry will have to pull something out the baf not to follow Nokias foot steps

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Keep the findings coming guys and girls :)
I'll continuously add them to the initial post when I'm online (along with credit to poster) so they're easier to find and read about

harry20larry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
I like the new toggle graphic (rounded).
Also, not the greatest feature, but when an app crashes, instead of snapping out, it fades back to the home screen

funrush

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
Storage info:

IMG_1476.PNG

iTunes wifi sync:

IMG_1471.PNG

iCloud storage info:

IMG_1473.PNG

Custom sounds for everything:

IMG_1470.PNG

haphadon

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2009
Nice! Thank You Harry!

BTW, OP, add system wide dictionary to the list... screenshot would be nice too. I wonder if it's English only? Is a thesaurus or translation dictionary?

Here are two screenshots I jsut took, it works pretty well, but is even better on the my iPad as it doesn't open up a new screen on the iPad.

IMG_0911.png

And Here is the definition (Notice how small the scroll bar is, there is a lot of information for the words):

IMG_0912.png

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
the "iPod" app is no more, as in it has been split up into "Music" and "Video", (exactly how it is on the iPod Touch).
I don't mind music and videos being separated but for sentimental reasons it's sad to see the end of the iPod name used for music :(

4ded50c31c652110606221219-500x749.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.