Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
So I am not sure if this question has been asked I have tried doing a search but keep coming accross more mobileme related things.

iCloud uses the process of your devices all being synced and that means if you take a picture on your phone it uploads to the cloud and then your other IOS or apple devices download it and its all automatic right?

What if you dont want your personal photo's uploaded to the cloud and then sent to everywhere else? I for one do not want my personal pictures being uploaded somewhere and then sent to my other devices.

I dont like any photo's of me being online at all... I dont use facebook etc and I am quite a private person.

I like the other features such as music being uploaded and apps etc but I am hoping there is a way to control what will be uploaded and what wont...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
My suggestion would be to wait until it is released and try it out, before making assumptions that it will be in control of 'everything'. For all anyone knows, there could be a setting for your concern. Then again, there may not be. Who knows?

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
So I am not sure if this question has been asked I have tried doing a search but keep coming accross more mobileme related things.

iCloud uses the process of your devices all being synced and that means if you take a picture on your phone it uploads to the cloud and then your other IOS or apple devices download it and its all automatic right?

What if you dont want your personal photo's uploaded to the cloud and then sent to everywhere else? I for one do not want my personal pictures being uploaded somewhere and then sent to my other devices.

I dont like any photo's of me being online at all... I dont use facebook etc and I am quite a private person.

I like the other features such as music being uploaded and apps etc but I am hoping there is a way to control what will be uploaded and what wont...

are you one of my parents?

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
are you one of my parents?

lol...

my friends are the types of people who love pranks and photoshop, if they cant find any photos they have no ammo haha.

i know steve mentioned in the key note you could turn off iclouds upload function so im hoping you can specifically turn off some features. I dont really trust my personal stuff being stored somewhere on a server especially with all the latest in hacking companies and stealing users data.

Bukey

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
UK
As has already been said we don't know how the final offering will look exactly.

I think most of us are hoping for some granularity in control. If you look at iTunes as an example of how Apple do things though - you have the ability to separately sync music and video to your iOS devices. You then have an alternative option to just sync everything or only ticked items. You then have a final option of managing what gets put on your devices only manually.

I know iCloud is a slightly different beast and as I say we're all still waiting to see exactly how it looks - I'm guessing Apple will have this covered.

Also with regards to the iCloud storage - as standard it's pretty much guaranteed to be private - so photos you sync between your personal devices should remain accessible only to you (or those you give access to them). Just because it's in the cloud, doesn't mean it'll be public.

:)

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
As has already been said we don't know how the final offering will look exactly.

I think most of us are hoping for some granularity in control. If you look at iTunes as an example of how Apple do things though - you have the ability to separately sync music and video to your iOS devices. You then have an alternative option to just sync everything or only ticked items. You then have a final option of managing what gets put on your devices only manually.

I know iCloud is a slightly different beast and as I say we're all still waiting to see exactly how it looks - I'm guessing Apple will have this covered.

Also with regards to the iCloud storage - as standard it's pretty much guaranteed to be private - so photos you sync between your personal devices should remain accessible only to you (or those you give access to them). Just because it's in the cloud, doesn't mean it'll be public.

:)

Yeah I know its private but... the sony customers who's information stored on the sony servers was stolen was also not public... So I dont like anything being on servers that belongs to me. I try to avoid it when possible, hence why I dont want things like pictures being on someones servers that potentially could be hacked and stolen.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
This is what I don't like about iCloud:

"Apple will scan users' hard drives for music and use that information to create a personalized music directory in iCloud- without needing to upload songs from the local drive."

I just don't like the idea that at anytime Apple has access to my hard drive.

What's your take on this people?

Source:
http://is.gd/2RYHiQ

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N

"Apple will scan users' hard drives for music and use that information to create a personalized music directory in iCloud- without needing to upload songs from the local drive."

Source:

That's the "match" service. If you don't want/need it, then you don't need to partipate. It's mostly useful if you have a lot of music you didn't purchase from the iTunes store. Otherwise, with the free sync service, Apple already knows what you've purchased, so it's not much of a security risk to have them check what's actually still there.

In any event, Apple has always had "access" to your HDD for music - it already knows what you've purchased. For instance, if you participate in the Genius feature, it will look at your collection - whether purchased or not, to determine the Genius suggestions/playlists.

Although I will most likely use the sync service for some things (books and apps), I won't for music, since I want more control over what gets synced to an iDevice via iCloud. In all cases, I won't rely on iCloud for storage of my media - I will always maintain multiple copies locally. The document syncing feature might be handy, but again, I will keep updated backups locally.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Source:
Do you use gmail? Google scans your email, I'm not sure it's all that different. Personally I do not like any entity scanning my music or emails

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
i know steve mentioned in the key note you could turn off iclouds upload function so im hoping you can specifically turn off some features.

If the beta is anything to go by, you can definitely turn off the features of iCloud you don't want to use.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.PNG
    IMG_0015.PNG
    60.5 KB · Views: 53

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
If the beta is anything to go by, you can definitely turn off the features of iCloud you don't want to use.

If you're using the beta, can I ask is Photostream working in the beta?

And, do you have a MobileMe account and where you able to use it for the iCloud beta?

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
If you're using the beta, can I ask is Photostream working in the beta?

And, do you have a MobileMe account and where you able to use it for the iCloud beta?

Unfortunately, I am not a developer, so I am not using the beta. However, I have seen videos that show Photostream working in the beta. I don't think the beta allows you to use your MobileMe account, but I could be wrong. I think if you try to use it you are given a prompt to upgrade from MobileMe to iCloud, but when you click "Upgrade" it tells you this feature is coming soon.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
iCloud consists of 9 features. I'm 99% sure you can pick and choose which features/services you want to use and which ones you don't. But again, wait until this fall to be 100% sure. Don't jump to conclusions this early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.