Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:24 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Steve Jobs Confirms Discontinuation of iWeb in iCloud Transition

Since last week's unveiling of Apple's new iCloud service and the transitioning of the company's existing MobileMe service into iCloud, many users have been wondering about the fate of some of the MobileMe services that were not mentioned in the transition discussion. In particular, users have been concerned about iWeb, Apple's website creation software included with iLife that can be integrated with site hosting via MobileMe.

One concerned iWeb/MobileMe user emailed Apple CEO Steve Jobs to ask about the fate of the offering, and reportedly received confirmation that users will indeed need to find alternative hosting for their sites once MobileMe is officially discontinued. All existing MobileMe users have received free subscription extensions through June 30, 2012, at which time the service will cease to exist and the transition to iCloud will be complete.
Quote:
Q: Dear Mr. Jobs,

Will I need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host my sites?

I have invested a lot of time and effort and the thought of re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did.

A: Yep.

Sent from my iPhone
As usual, the authenticity can not be confirmed with absolute certainty, but we have examined the email headers and believe them to be legitimate. Replies from Jobs' account are not particularly unusual, and he has in the past acknowledged being personally responsible for at least some, if not all, of the correspondence.

Apple's iWeb software saw its last major update with the release of iLife '09 in January 2009. The application did not receive a major update with the release of iLife '11 late last year, although Apple has continued to bundle it with the new iLife suite. The company has continued to periodically issue minor bug fixes for iWeb, most recently in February of this year.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Confirms Discontinuation of iWeb in iCloud Transition
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:28 PM   #2
d0mth0ma5
macrumors member

Bit of a dickish reply even for Jobs.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:28 PM   #3
iBryton
macrumors regular

Steve Jobs = Awesome

iBryton is offline   -31 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:28 PM   #4
ECUpirate44
Banned

It sucks, but not a total surprise.
ECUpirate44 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:29 PM   #5
techpr
macrumors 6502

There you go... now Squarespace is going to receive a lots of new customers.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:29 PM   #6
ivladster
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to ivladster
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0mth0ma5 View Post
Agg, this is getting old.
He's not a saint or a god of some sort. Stop expecting him with flowers coming to each person's house and answering their desired questions.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:29 PM   #7
ivladster
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to ivladster
Quote:
Originally Posted by techpr View Post
There you go... now Squarespace is going to receive a lots of new customers.
Yeah! Especially with v6 coming this year it's going to take off!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:31 PM   #8
d0mth0ma5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivladster View Post
He's not a saint or a god of some sort. Stop expecting him with flowers coming to each person's house and answering their desired questions.
So just don't reply then. If he doesn't reply he doesn't look bad he just hasn't replied to one of thousands of emails. The manner in which he replies is purely for show and it doesn't portray him in a good light.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

I've had just about enough of those "yep" responses from Steve Jobs. The sender was obviously distraught about all the work they had put into their website, and all Jobs can reply is "yep"? He couldn't even throw in a "tough shiit, not my problem"? Lame.
Blorzoga is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:33 PM   #10
k1121j
macrumors regular

Figures

Bummer i actually liked it
k1121j is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:34 PM   #11
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

It's probably good for the Internet as a whole to get people off of iWeb
Fuchal is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:35 PM   #12
SiriusExcelsior
macrumors regular

I thought you could export sites from iWeb into a folder.. surely this person only needs to find a new host that allows FTP uploads? Wouldn't really require much retraining..
SiriusExcelsior is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:36 PM   #13
GeekOFComedy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to GeekOFComedy Send a message via Skype™ to GeekOFComedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusExcelsior View Post
I thought you could export sites from iWeb into a folder.. surely this person only needs to find a new host that allows FTP uploads? Wouldn't really require much retraining..
New OS and the software wont be updated.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:36 PM   #14
koobcamuk
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivladster View Post
Not a Saint, not a God, you are right.

However, he is the CEO of one of the largest tech companies in the world. When a fan emails you to ask something like this, such a terse reply won't be agreeable for most people.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:37 PM   #15
sananda
macrumors 68020

And so I suppose it means no more iDisk and Galleries. Shame.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Godgem
macrumors newbie

iweb

iweb suck. Just use wordpress and buy hosting not big deal instead of paying 99dollars to Apple. And you should hire someone who make custom theme just for you.
Godgem is offline   -23 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:38 PM   #17
carboncow
macrumors member

Considering the guy who asked the question asked it in a dickish manor, the reply was fine. Nobody said he cannot continue to use the crappy iWeb with another $3 a month hosting service.
carboncow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:40 PM   #18
khunsanook
macrumors 6502

Good move Apple. I never liked iWeb's unique website code. There are plenty of better options for creating and hosting websites.
khunsanook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:40 PM   #19
HONDAxACURA
macrumors regular

NOOOO!!!!!!! I used iWeb with my Cox communications account. I like the simplicity of iWeb!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:42 PM   #20
BLACKFRIDAY
macrumors regular

Quote:
I don't understand how. Is he supposed to reply in proper english:

Yes, you would need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host your sites.

?

I don't think so.
BLACKFRIDAY is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:44 PM   #21
mambodancer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusExcelsior View Post
You are absolutely correct. You can easily publish the site to a folder.

If Sandvox had a utility to then import the site then they would have a ready customer base to switch from iWeb to Sandvox 2 which is very iWeb-like and easy to use.

The big advantage of these applications is their ease of use and are much simpler to use than other web-centric apps which tend to only work if you have an active internet connection. I need a desktop app and so do my clients.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:45 PM   #22
Hildron101010
macrumors member

No Retraining Necessary

As I am sure that people have said, Apple is discontinuing the iDisk web hosting, they aren't going to people's Macs to delete iWeb. You can still use iWeb as much as you want. You can set iWeb to upload to an FTP server or your own network server. Of course, after a few years, iWeb will be really outdated, so then you can find something else. I recommend Sandvox. It's similar to iWeb and it won an Apple design award.
Hildron101010 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:46 PM   #23
koruki
macrumors 6502a

Can someone shed some light on the "training"? I'm a web developer and I'm a bit confused on what the writers reference to re-training was? Don't you just build you site and find a host?

Update: So its an application that uploads to iWeb? As mentioned by another poster, Wordpress is a great option, its free and with most major hosting, there is a Wordpress install plug in, you don't even need to know how to set it up. Its part of the control panel, you just need to initiate the install.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:50 PM   #24
reactions
Banned

Quote:
Yup.

reactions is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:50 PM   #25
techpr
macrumors 6502

Seems like the websites with the logo "Made on a Mac" are soon going to disappear

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion