Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:26 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Nokia Deal Could Cost Android Manufacturers Too

Apple's patent licensing deal with Nokia may have some additional consequences beyond the immediate effects of the settlement. By agreeing to a long-term licensing agreement with Nokia, Apple gets a lengthly, defensive legal fight out of the way. This allows Apple to focus all its legal energies on major battles with Samsung, HTC and Motorola.

Speaking with the NYTimes, Apple indicates that the settlement is actually a cross-licensing one:
Quote:
Apple and Nokia have agreed to drop all of our current lawsuits and enter into a license covering some of each other’s patents, but not the majority of the innovation that makes the iPhone unique. We are glad to put this behind us and get back to focusing on our respective businesses.
There a larger, much more strategic victory here as well. By agreeing to pay royalties for Nokia's patents, Apple has set a market price -- and given Nokia's patents serious legitimacy. Apple wouldn't pay anything if they didn't have to, and other companies may not want to fight over turf Apple has already acquiesced to Nokia.

Other companies, notably Android handset manufacturers, may now have to play ball with Nokia on these patents -- and they don't necessarily have the margins to send 1% of gross revenues to Nokia as easily as Apple can. In fact, because Apple has so many of its own patents (some of which it cross-licensed to Nokia) other manufacturers may have to pay even more for the same licenses.

Florian Mueller has suggested just that at FOSS Patents:
Quote:
Given that Android is in many ways a rip-off of Apple's operating software, Android-based devices are highly likely to infringe on largely the same Nokia patents that Apple now felt forced to pay for.
[...]
This is a sweet defeat for Apple because its competitors -- especially those building Android-based devices -- will also have to pay Nokia, and most if not all of them will likely have to pay more on a per-unit basis because they don't bring as much intellectual property to the table as Apple definitely did.
Apple pays off Nokia, but exposes the competition as well. Competition that doesn't have as much money or intellectual property to barter with.

(Photo by Acaben/Flickr)

Article Link: Apple's Nokia Deal Could Cost Android Manufacturers Too
MacRumors is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:30 PM   #2
parapup
macrumors 65816

If Florian Mueller said something there is a good chance it is some baseless, inflammable, not-real thing that has great likelihood of not happening.

Moving right along.

[ Apple and their followers are like insecure kids - if they get beat up, instead of either accepting or responding they drag that other cool kid in it for no reason but to feel better - look tomorrow that other kid might get beat too - then I will be vindicated.]

Last edited by parapup; Jun 14, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
parapup is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Rodimus Prime
Banned

nice headline grabbing BS by our media. It is safe to bet that the other manufactures were already paying the for the patents. I know LG, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, and Blackberry already have an agreement with them and most of them have patents sharing with Nokia.

I love the piss poor reporting the media does.
Rodimus Prime is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
nice headline grabbing BS by our media. It is safe to bet that the other manufactures were already paying the for the patents. I know LG, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, and Blackberry already have an agreement with them and most of them have patents sharing with Nokia.

I love the piss poor reporting the media does.
Amen to this. Other OEMs have been making phones way before Apple even came up with the idea of iPhone. They have already settled with Nokia and are paying the license fees, so why would this hurt Android?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:35 PM   #5
FlameofAnor
macrumors regular

Castrate your competition, Steve?....... that's not very nice.
FlameofAnor is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:35 PM   #6
ratzzo
macrumors 6502a

It could. It probably may never happen, but if it does, Apple's "surrendering" to Nokia's lawsuit would just add to Nokia's side of the story for anyone who shares a lawsuit regarding whatever patent Apple and Nokia were originally arguing over.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Oletros
macrumors 603

Florian on Twitter was incapable of telling why those companies would have to pay and why has been making phones since the 90's without any problem.
Oletros is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:39 PM   #8
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
So because iOS infringes, this automatically makes Android infringe upon it too?
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:40 PM   #9
maclaptop
macrumors 65816

The test of time will prove it's all meaningless.
maclaptop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:41 PM   #10
supmango
macrumors 6502

From the same article:

“Having proven its ability to defeat Apple after the most bitterly contested patent dispute that this industry has seen to date is clear proof of” the effectiveness of Nokia's more aggressive strategy, Mr. Mueller said. “Other companies whom Nokia will ask to pay royalties will have to think very hard whether to pay or pick a fight."

So it sounds like to me, Nokia just became the school yard bully.
supmango is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Doctor Q
Administrator

The "winner" of a cross-licensing deal, if you want to think of it that way, is the one who gets paid, in this case Nokia. I doubt that Apple has had trouble because its lawyers are spread too thin, but the settlement is presumably worth it to Apple. They may have expected to owe these same licensing payments anyway as a result of the lawsuits.

It's best for our interests as consumers if companies have strong reasons to do the R&D for new developments, with rights to their patents being one of their incentives. But it's also in our interests to see new developments used in many products, which can result from cross-licensing and even from patent infringement! Somebody (us) ultimately has to pay for it, of course, but I'd rather pay for R&D than for court battles.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:42 PM   #12
Rodimus Prime
Banned

The only way this even "hurts" android and others is they have to keep paying the fees they have been paying any how.

oh wait that does nothing to them and it is status quo. If Apple had won it would of done some good so to speak because they would no longer have to license them.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:44 PM   #13
RodThePlod
macrumors 6502a

Cor.... Nokia are gonna be rolling in it!

RTP.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Consultant
macrumors G5

And Android still has to face the Java lawsuit that might wipe them out.

I am sure many people can't wait.
Consultant is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Nitrocide
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrocide Send a message via Skype™ to Nitrocide
Cover story, Apple and Nokia had this planned all along
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:48 PM   #16
kenypowa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

lol like it's going to happen.
kenypowa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:49 PM   #17
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

This is fantastic news!

Hit Bada and WebOS whilst they're at it.

Edit: I am being sarcastic btw.

Last edited by ChazUK; Jun 14, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
ChazUK is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:49 PM   #18
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Florian on Twitter was incapable of telling why those companies would have to pay and why has been making phones since the 90's without any problem.
Florian Mueller has been proven in the past to publish BS information. I take anything he says for a grain of salt.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:52 PM   #19
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:

Oracle may or may not win, but I severely doubt it would take out Android.

As far as Mueller goes, in my opinion I think he has as much or less credibility than Paul Thurrott.
benthewraith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:09 PM   #20
Jeaz
macrumors regular

Makes more sense that it's cross-licenense and not as suggested by all media this morning that it's all Apple -> Nokia.
Jeaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:11 PM   #21
juicedropsdeuce
macrumors 6502

Ok, what gives here. Is this some stock pump article by MR????

First the false report that Android makers will have to pay Nokia (they already license the patent). Next, showing a completely unrelated picture of a 'fat' Steve Jobs which was obviously from half a decade ago.

Real classy!
juicedropsdeuce is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:13 PM   #22
juicedropsdeuce
macrumors 6502

Quote:

LOL. Yes, wipe them out.
juicedropsdeuce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:16 PM   #23
mdatwood
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

That's like saying Nokia was going wipe out the iPhone, ie never would happen. There is too much money going around and in the end someone will pay someone else and Android will go on.
mdatwood is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:17 PM   #24
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:

I guess you'd be all for an Apple dictatorship over the market wouldn't you. Are you sure you're a consultant?
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameofAnor View Post
Castrate your competition, Steve?....... that's not very nice.
This is much more clear evidence of the failed US patent system than anything else...

But even then, SJ is a genius in making such a move - settle for a lost cause, pay a few millions, cross-license the rest and let Android burn under the newly-acquired legitimacy of Nokia's patents...simply genius.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion