Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:38 PM   #1
tamvly
macrumors 6502a

Replacement for Quicken 2007?

Has anyone found a decent - and I emphasize the word decent - replacement for Quicken 2007 for Mac?

With the Lion launch imminent and the probably demise of Rosetta, there goes the ability to use Quicken 2007. Not that I'm a fan of Quicken - it's incredibly buggy, has horrible quirks, etc. But I also have 15 years of financial data in it and am loathe to move to something that isn't at least as sophisticated.

I have tried a free trial with Liquid Ledger - it choked on the Quicken export file.

I hate the idea of running an old version of Max OS X, or having another boot partition so I can use Quicken, or having to run Quicken on Windows 7, which I could do.

Any ideas?
tamvly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Old Muley
macrumors 6502a

I'd be curious to see what recommendations come up. Moneydance is one option I've looked at, as well as Checkbook or Checkbook Pro. Don't know if they are Lion compatible.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:56 PM   #3
PeggyD
macrumors 6502a

There have been several threads on this subject. It seems the most common "favorite" is iBank although I didn't particularly care for it. I'm trying to decide between MoneyDance & SEEFinance. You can find trials for all of them on MacUpdate.com.
PeggyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:12 PM   #4
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I'm in the same boat. I was able to export 11 years of Quicken 2007 data then import it into Quicken essentials. I'm not totally happy with Quicken Essentials, but it is good enough for what I do. I tried the others, but they all choke on the Quicken export file.

It all depends on how you use Quicken; I don't download any data, and just use it to balance checkbooks and keep track of savings/investments. It's good enough I guess.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:37 PM   #5
tamvly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
It all depends on how you use Quicken; I don't download any data, and just use it to balance checkbooks and keep track of savings/investments. It's good enough I guess.
I was under the impression that Quicken Essentials does not deal with investments. Was I wrong?

Also, I submitted a support request into Intuit to get their perspective. That was three days ago and no response - am I surprised?

Frankly, this is one of the more dismally covered application areas for all systems - Mac & Windows. As a former software engineer I am tempted to write my own. I guess I don't feel like devoting a year of my life to a non-trivial application.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:45 AM   #6
tamvly
macrumors 6502a

I just received a response to my question to Quicken Customer Support. According to the note, Quicken is "working with Apple to make Quicken 2007 compatible with Lion."

Evidently, some sort of solution is forthcoming - hopefully sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:50 AM   #7
mrtune
macrumors 6502a

Inuit needs to pull their head out of their ass and provide a solid, feature compatible version of their windows app for the mac.

I have yet to find a solid solution for the mac and to this day find myself booting up windows in vmware just to use quicken. I have 13 years of history that I do not wish to lose.

I have a feeling that Inuit simply doesn't care about us mac users and we'll never get a good financial software solution from them, ever.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:07 PM   #8
phillymjs
macrumors regular

SEE Finance

I read good reviews about it. I too have a lot of data I don't want to lose, and SEE Finance imported my Quicken 2006 file flawlessly.

I'm currently doing double-entry with it and Quicken while I evaluate it, which stinks, but I have no other choice.

SEE Finance's interface definitely takes some getting used to, but the application seems to do everything I need. When I get around to getting Lion running on my hackintosh and Quicken is out of the picture, I'll probably take the plunge.

I really, really hate you, Intuit.
phillymjs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:06 PM   #9
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamvly View Post
I was under the impression that Quicken Essentials does not deal with investments. Was I wrong?

Also, I submitted a support request into Intuit to get their perspective. That was three days ago and no response - am I surprised?

Frankly, this is one of the more dismally covered application areas for all systems - Mac & Windows. As a former software engineer I am tempted to write my own. I guess I don't feel like devoting a year of my life to a non-trivial application.
I think you're right about quicken essentials not dealing with investments. It's not a problem for me since I never used the feature.

Kind of a shame that Intuit has let quicken degrade instead of keeping it up. I think they are preferring to work on web-based versions.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Gaelic2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
I'm in the same boat. I was able to export 11 years of Quicken 2007 data then import it into Quicken essentials. I'm not totally happy with Quicken Essentials, but it is good enough for what I do. I tried the others, but they all choke on the Quicken export file.

I did the same thing but I learned that Quicken Essentials won't be compatible with Lion either so I am back to where I started! I am now just trying iBank. The problem there is that it cannot use Quicken Essentials data so you can't transfer. My workaround was to download all the data from my banks. We'll see how it works.
Gaelic2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:29 PM   #11
a.jfred
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtune View Post
Inuit needs to pull their head out of their ass and provide a solid, feature compatible version of their windows app for the mac.

I have yet to find a solid solution for the mac and to this day find myself booting up windows in vmware just to use quicken. I have 13 years of history that I do not wish to lose.

I have a feeling that Inuit simply doesn't care about us mac users and we'll never get a good financial software solution from them, ever.
I switched from PC to Mac ... with several years of financial history in M$ Money ... I was thrilled when they came out with the free Sunset edition, since I didn't use the online banking functions through it at all; but it's also one of the only reasons I boot up windows anymore. I thought about switching, but they don't make it easy to export (every account is a separate file when you export, which is a HUGE PITA).
a.jfred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:58 PM   #12
tamvly
macrumors 6502a

I'm tempted to organize a "How to replace Quicken on Mac" thread, rolling up folks' experiences with alternatives.

I don't know a single person who actually likes Quicken. This is just the latest fiasco.

Frankly, why Apple doesn't do their own is beyond me. There are probably far more people interested in a comprehensive, extendable personal financial solution than in, say, a music app like Garage Band (which, don't get me wrong, is a GREAT product).
tamvly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:08 PM   #13
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Frankly, why Apple doesn't do their own is beyond me.
Probably for the same reasons that Microsoft stopped doing their own. Doesn't appear to be a big market.

FWIW, chalk me up as a happy Quicken Essentials user. The only thing I miss from Quicken 2007 is being able to pay bills directly from the app vs having to hop over to my bank's billpay website.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:20 PM   #14
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic2 View Post
I did the same thing but I learned that Quicken Essentials won't be compatible with Lion either so I am back to where I started! I am now just trying iBank. The problem there is that it cannot use Quicken Essentials data so you can't transfer. My workaround was to download all the data from my banks. We'll see how it works.
Wonder if Intuit will get it working on Lion eventually?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:26 PM   #15
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic2 View Post
I did the same thing but I learned that Quicken Essentials won't be compatible with Lion either
Huh?

Quote:
Will Quicken for Mac work on the new Mac operating system, Lion (Mac OS X 10.7)?

Currently, Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006, 2007 will not work on Lion. We are actively working with Apple to address this and will post any new information here. However, Quicken Essentials for Mac will work on Lion. If you are using Quicken Essentials for Mac, make sure you are on the latest Quicken Essentials patch version for full compatibility.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:27 PM   #16
tamvly
macrumors 6502a

Just a quick post. I just downloaded SEE Finance and loaded my QIF file - done flawlessly. I agree with phillymjs that this seems to be a good candidate.

I'll do some side by side testing and post results. I especially like the fact that I can hide accounts although I wish it would allow showing multiple accounts side by side in register view as Quicken does.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:29 PM   #17
tamvly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
FWIW, chalk me up as a happy Quicken Essentials user. The only thing I miss from Quicken 2007 is being able to pay bills directly from the app vs having to hop over to my bank's billpay website.
Gee, one doesn't typically see "happy" and "Quicken" in the same sentence.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:41 PM   #18
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Gee, one doesn't typically see "happy" and "Quicken" in the same sentence.
LOL, only because I have some pretty simple needs when it comes to a finance program.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:39 AM   #19
tamvly
macrumors 6502a

So now Rosetta is going to be integrated into Quicken? This is crazy ...
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:12 AM   #20
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
I am a happy Quicken Essentials user. It does a great job for my needs. I don't need all the fancy features that Quicken 2010 Premiere had when I had a PC. Quicken Essentials DOES keep track of my Fidelity 401K plan and updates it directly through the program. Despite the bad reviews I read about Quicken Essentials I bought it anyway and quite frankly I am very happy with it. For my needs it works perfectly.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:33 AM   #21
IeU
macrumors member

None of them automatically gets account summary by accessing your bank using HBCI, or?
IeU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:12 AM   #22
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Quote:
So now Rosetta is going to be integrated into Quicken? This is crazy ...
Maybe - they said it might never happen too, but they're looking at it.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:31 PM   #23
iMerik
macrumors 6502

Choices

I'm looking at the following software solutions, in about this order:I've heard Investocope is decent for tracking investments separately which I don't really want to do.

I really don't want to have to try them all out, but I'm afraid I might have to. Financial software is a a long-term commitment for me and probably most all of us, which is why I am considering sticking with MS Money until an obvious solution slaps me across the face.
iMerik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:51 PM   #24
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

FWIW, if anyone had any questions about Essentials and Lion compatibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-06-23 at 5.49.10 PM.png
Views:	220
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	290898  
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:20 PM   #25
jljue
macrumors regular

I currently use Quicken 2010 with an application call Crossover so that I don't have to crank up VMWare Fusion and Windows XP just for Quicken. I too have a long Quicken history, and I wanted to make sure that my data would carry over.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store