Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I just plugged in my iPod and did not seem to be detected, when I looked at the display of the iPod it had a display like this (see below), do you know what it is?
It looks like a kinda fsck/defrag/scandisk/chkdsk thing for the iPods HDD, eventually when the progress bar reached the end it left the Disc on the screen with a little tick next to it.

Attachments

• ipod.jpg
    ipod.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 440

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Have you ever used the iPod as a Hard Drive before? In iTunes, do you have your iPod set to be updated upon plugging it to the computer? Have you recently dropped/damaged the iPod? If you have the latest version of Norton, did you run any utilities on it to see if there are problems with the Hard Drive?

No guarentee that this will help...and, no, I haven't seen it before. :)

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I've seen it but never let it go all the way to the end cause it takes FOREVER....I just restart the thing.....good idea....:confused:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It's ok KC, there's no probelm, I just wondered what it was, after I unplugged and reconnected once it had got to the point of having a tick next to the disk it was all back to normal.
And no, I've NEVER used it as a FireWire HDD, or run disk utilities on it.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
This is the HDD Scan mode, as suggested by someone. You can execute it from the Diagnostic Mode, which you can get to by restarting the iPod, and then holding back, select, forward. Here you can test the grpahics, remote, HD, etc.

I don't know why it has initiated itself though. Maybe the firmware detected problems on the HD and tried to repair itself...???

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
if that happend to my ipod, id be freaked out beyond all reason. Just like i was when it wouldnt turn on after i accidnetally shook it. Luckly the batery had just run out because of that damn clock taht kills battery.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
that is an awesome mode

hey is it true that the battery life is killed by the clock cuz my battery life has gone from 10 hours to 6.5 and apple says its a software conflict and i need to reinstall all the software on the pod, but i dont have a mac to do it on, so is it just the clock?

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
holy crap

i just tested the sleep mode and the stupid thing showed a low batt signal and now it wont reset or wakeup and it was a full charge!

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by thornycroft
i think its just your computer. it hasnt happened with mine
:)

dude if u wnna get more posts, u have to consolidate the two posts u just made into one next time! It will save server space and will make ur post gcount go faster cuz u dont hvae to do double the work per post...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Easy, orbust. You're turning into me with flaming newbies. Bad idea. :)

When I had the clock function enable the iPod didn't last a whole F'n week, even when "off". So I don't use it.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
A bit off topic, but has anyone else been having a problem with their iPod getting to 2 bars of battery life and then saying that no power remains? It doesn't go to one bar, just to the warning and dies. This only began after the 1.2 update.:confused:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
To keep the clock off and better battery life, a guarenteed way of doing it would be to let the battery drain completely, recharge the iPod, and don't f*** with the clock again. :p

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Sometimes I leave the iPod plugged into the wall when I go to sleep and after its fully charged, it has that ÒchargedÒ signal...it then ceases to charge like it should do but does that signal reduce power? because as I use it the next day, sometimes the last bar of power is already gone and sometimes gets drained very fast...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.