Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I've had the yoobao since I first got my iPad 2. STM skinny looks interesting tho. Go!

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
prefer yoobao, dont like anything with straps or that clips onto ipad. Yoobao is simple design.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Up to you, but here is some advantages of each:

(both have on/off; both come in a variety of colours; both have two standing positions)

Yoobao:
Leather - looks expensive - doesn't smell
Slimmer than STM; this is negligible
Covers all (top / bottom) - acts like a layer to protect iPad

STM Skinny
IMO nice fabric - not leather, but feels nice and is your personal opinion
More protection for corners - if you drop it on the corner there's more protection than Yoobao - but the bottom and top are exposed
Still slim, but slightly thicker than Yoobao, so more protection - negligible though

Yoobao is good to protect your iPad from scratches; STM can get scratches because of open top / bottom, but it will protect iPad more from drops, because of corner protection. Yoobao and STM look expensive. if you can afford it and would like the STM but I leather check out link.

sarends

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
I had Yoobao for one month. Thoughts:

1 it is thin, but I use my iPad constantly and it is not wearing well.
2 the cover has never reliably covered the front thus it does not reliably put it to sleep. Not a deal killer, but I hate it when something is supposed to work ad then really doesn't

Never had the skinny, but I think I might have liked it better just because of the positive closure.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Big votes for the STM skinny. It's very well crafted, strong and protects the iPad very well.

I've only ever been suspicious of these yoobao cases, they seem to be revised all the time and look a little dodgy.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
....make me go hunting for pics....

Yoobao:
20113158205470239.jpg

STM Skinny:
stm-skinny-case-for-ipad2-dp-2189-04_190459_500.jpg

Personally, I HATE cases that cover the screen. Ruins the aesthetics of the device. It's also a cheap way to make a case. Got the STM Skinny and I love it.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
....make me go hunting for pics....

Yoobao:
20113158205470239.jpg

STM Skinny:

Personally, I HATE cases that cover the screen. Ruins the aesthetics of the device. It's also a cheap way to make a case. Got the STM Skinny and I love it.

I agree. I don't know why these two cases would even be compared. Theyre completely different. The yaoboo is like a million other leather cases that covers the bezel. The Skinny is far superior.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Big votes for the STM skinny. It's very well crafted, strong and protects the iPad very well.

I've only ever been suspicious of these yoobao cases, they seem to be revised all the time and look a little dodgy.

Ill second this. I have the STM in black.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
I've just got my Yoobao in the post today, and it's going right back.

Here's why:

- the cover's magnets aren't strong enough, so the cover will flop open;
- the cut out for the earphone hole isn't aligned properly;

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
To the STM Skinny owners is it able to stand in this angle? This is very important in my purchase.

Does it hold up in this position while typing on your lap?

It stand well in this position for viewing a video. I doubt any case will hold in this vertical position in ones lap while typing. If you mean does it hold its position in your lap in the normal typing position, yes it does.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2008
Maybe Not

To the STM Skinny owners is it able to stand in this angle? This is very important in my purchase.

Does it hold up in this position while typing on your lap?

The problem with the Skinny (only problem I have with it) is that the flap which closes it and gets inserted for the angled views, gets worn over time (loses its stiffness). The flap doesn't stay inserted at times. In the long run, I think it will wear down even more.

Otherwise, its a really good case.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Ugh, Yoobao sucks; flip the cover over to the back and your screen will auto turn off. Worthless. I trashed it and am happily using the Marware MicroShell Folio iPad 2 case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.