Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California
So has anyone seen or heard of this case? I just found it today, and it looks stunning:

vapplicationimg11306435330.jpeg vstyle11306167631.jpeg

prod_large_153-1.jpeg

http://www.rivetnow.com/home/file/product/iproduct_id/153/product.html
I really love the look of this; I had been looking at the Melkco Slimme, but I really did not want the "tri-fold" cover like the Apple Smart cover design. (I just find that the leave these kind of stripey dust marks on the screen).

I like the hard-shell leather back, and the way it folds into the typing/standing position. The quality looks great, but I wish they posted more pictures of all the angles to view.

I know, I know, yet another ipad case thread, but this looks like a really high quality folio, and the price is not TOO bad.:rolleyes: ($20.00 less than the least expensive Melkco, which range from $98.00 to about $118.00)

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Looks good. Wish someone made a premium leather version like this, or if Vaja just copied the corner design. I would buy a Vaja if the exposed corner was protected, or any other $120+ with this design and full corner protection.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California
Looks good. Wish someone made a premium leather version like this, or if Vaja just copied the corner design. I would buy a Vaja if the exposed corner was protected, or any other $120+ with this design and full corner protection.

I magnified the pictures, and looking at the grain of the leather, it appears to be of a really high grade. I would love to see the back though, to check what kind of flap/design they use to tuck the cover into. I'm quite surprised they don't offer more views.:( because I am really onterested in this case. I think the configuration looks very similar to the Vaja Libretto:

best-anbieter.jpeg

Edit: changed image

Last edited:

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
I magnified the pictures, and looking at the grain of the leather, it appears to be of a really high grade. I would love to see the back though, to check what kind of flap/design they use to tuck the cover into. I'm quite surprised they don't offer more views.:( because I am really onterested in this case. I think the configuration looks very similar to the Vaja Libretto:

I don't know.. That corner looks dangerously exposed.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011

I agree. Corners are most prone to damage, and damage to a corner seems very likely to cause significant damage to the iPad.

Have a look at the STM Skinny. Good corner protection in a highly function case.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California

I agree. Corners are most prone to damage, and damage to a corner seems very likely to cause significant damage to the iPad.

Have a look at the STM Skinny. Good corner protection in a highly function case.
Actually, the picture with the very exposed corners is of the Vaja case; if you look at the pics of the Rivet case in my first post, the corners appear to have a lot more protection.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wrote to Rivet today...

"hey,

Any photos of the back? Wondering how the flap is held in place when propped up.

Thanks,"

Thanks for contacting us. The Folio case has a leather tab on the back which holds the folded cover in place to act as a stand. Unfortunately we don't have any pictures available right now, but we will get some for you as soon as possible. Our design team is currently shooting more photos to illustrate some of the features on the website.

Best regards,

Customer Service
Rivet

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California
Wrote to Rivet today...

"hey,

Any photos of the back? Wondering how the flap is held in place when propped up.

Thanks,"

Thanks for contacting us. The Folio case has a leather tab on the back which holds the folded cover in place to act as a stand. Unfortunately we don't have any pictures available right now, but we will get some for you as soon as possible. Our design team is currently shooting more photos to illustrate some of the features on the website.

Best regards,

Customer Service
Rivet

I also emailed them yesterday and received a similar response the same day. I was pleased to see their quick response; can't wait for these updated pictures!:D Someone posted in another thread that they had ordered one, so hopefully we will see his review soon.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California
I just received a picture of the back of the case that I had requested from Rivet customer service-

Rivet back - 2.jpg

Overall, I am really loving this case! I think I might just order one.:)

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California
I ordered one a couple of days ago.

I'll take some pictures when it comes in.

Yes! Just what I was looking for! Maybe I'll let you be our "guinea pig" before I place my order.:)When are you expecting delivery?

Edit: an interesting tidbit I found when looking for a review on their products. The person in the video mentions the possibility/rumor that Rivet is owned by Vaja......? See here:

http://youtu.be/uGIuThgORxg

Last edited:

Analbarbiturate

macrumors member
May 20, 2007
Land of the Lost
I don't mind being the guinea pig.

I'm not sure when the case will be shipped. I will assume maybe 4 to 8 weeks.
The confirmation e-mail I received from Rivet only states that my account is scheduled to be debited.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California
I don't mind being the guinea pig.

I'm not sure when the case will be shipped. I will assume maybe 4 to 8 weeks.
The confirmation e-mail I received from Rivet only states that my account is scheduled to be debited.

Wow!! 4-8 weeks?!! Are the cases back ordered?? They are situated in Florida; are you in the USA, or are they shipping overseas to you, if you don't mind my asking?

Edit: I emailed them about shipping time, and they did say they have them in stock and ship within24-48 hours.:)

Last edited:

Analbarbiturate

macrumors member
May 20, 2007
Land of the Lost
Wow!! 4-8 weeks?!! Are the cases back ordered?? They are situated in Florida; are you in the USA, or are they shipping overseas to you, if you don't mind my asking?

Edit: I emailed them about shipping time, and they did say they have them in stock and ship within24-48 hours.:)

Yeah, I was estimating the worst based on some of the other threads with other cases.

Delivery estimate as of now is June 17th.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California
The case looks pretty amazing.

I think so too. I've compared it from the various angles to the far more expensive Vaja Libretto, and it honestly looks almost identical:

comp.jpg

I also have had excellent communication with their Customer Support; they always respond within a couple of hours. Vaja, on the other hand, are notorious for their utter lack of communication when people attempt email correspondance.

Last edited:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
lauren, we must have the same taste, I've been following your thread, but I'm not gonna be an adopter til I read a real experience. $90 is steep esp since I do still like my Yoobao. but I wouldn't mind a higher quality leather upgrade. but the Yoobao2 is still mighty fine for the prices I paid.
I appreciate others who don't want to bulk, book, or box up their iPad2.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California
lauren, we must have the same taste, I've been following your thread, but I'm not gonna be an adopter til I read a real experience. $90 is steep esp since I do still like my Yoobao. but I wouldn't mind a higher quality leather upgrade. but the Yoobao2 is still mighty fine for the prices I paid.
I appreciate others who don't want to bulk, book, or box up their iPad2.

:D I know, we always seem to zone in on the same cases. The problem with my Yoobao, is that the edges are really starting to wear:( and seperate. I really researched the Rivet brand extensively, and they have been around for several years now, and I just cannot justify the expense of the Vaja. I am yet to find a bad review of any of their cases -saw several on you Youtube extolling the virtues of their well made iphone cases. The fact that they are situated in Florida, (and not some other region where materials are not regulated) is also a big plus.

I have to confess, I pulled the plug a few hours ago and actually ordered this case.:p I am not one to buy one case after another to find just "the one", so this will be my last case..........at least until the iPad 3 comes out next year!

Analbarbiturate

macrumors member
May 20, 2007
Land of the Lost
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The case does come from Argentina according to DHL tracking and may indeed have some elements taken from Vaja due to their partnership.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
hmm, nice, sounds promising.
what is their return option? always some risk in buying unknown or not in stores items to check over first.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
California
hmm, nice, sounds promising.
what is their return option? always some risk in buying unknown or not in stores items to check over first.
They provide a pretty good warranty against product defects:

"Rivet provides a 3-Year warranty for its products against defects in material or workmanship. Any defective product will be either repaired or replaced with like product, at Rivet's option, without charge for parts or labor directly related to the defect. "
With my present case, having had it for the past 3 months, and the edges seperating, I am fairly doubtful of being able to send it back to China for a replacement. It was not expensive, and I really had to have a case immediately to protect my iPad, so I guess it served it's purpose. I am going to Europe in a few weeks and really want a quality product that I can rely on, so made the decision to order the Rivet now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.