Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 27, 2005, 05:37 PM   #1
EGT
macrumors 68000

How much hard drive space for Tiger?

Hi there

I'm starting to get really excited about Tiger now. At first it seemed so pointless in upgrading but Iíve been reading up on the features and it looks like its going to be fantastic!

I'm a little worried about HD space though. I've got an 80Gb drive in my powerbook, and I have just over 2gbs left ( ahh! )
After recently reinstalling panther, i customised the install and had it down to 2gbs or there abouts, I can't quite remember. Will Tiger be much more than this?

Thanks

Last edited by EGT; Mar 27, 2005 at 05:41 PM.
EGT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 06:36 PM   #2
vouder17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGT
Hi there

I'm starting to get really excited about Tiger now. At first it seemed so pointless in upgrading but Iíve been reading up on the features and it looks like its going to be fantastic!

I'm a little worried about HD space though. I've got an 80Gb drive in my powerbook, and I have just over 2gbs left ( ahh! )
After recently reinstalling panther, i customised the install and had it down to 2gbs or there abouts, I can't quite remember. Will Tiger be much more than this?

Thanks
Hmm, i am quessing about 3 GB but you never know, cos from the builds, they are on roughly 2.5Gb at the mo' i think so, ireckon you need to free up some space on Your HD.

DjVoTeZ
vouder17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 07:31 AM   #3
EGT
macrumors 68000

Ok, thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2005, 08:01 AM   #4
gopher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to gopher Send a message via Yahoo to gopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGT
Hi there

Thanks
I would free up at least 10 GB. Mac OS X functions most smoothly when less than 85% of the hard drive is full. Get an external hard drive if you have to. Make sure it follows these suggestions:

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html
Old Mar 28, 2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Yep, you need some more space!
Old Mar 28, 2005, 03:59 PM   #6
EGT
macrumors 68000

Dam apple Loseless!
Old Mar 28, 2005, 05:20 PM   #7
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGT
Dam apple Loseless!
That's why I have a 250 GB external LaCie drive for my iTunes library and all the Apple Lossless files in it; and therefore ~50 GB of free space on my ~80 GB internal hard drive - plenty for Tiger.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 05:43 PM   #8
maya
macrumors 68040

Not sure if it affects experienced Mac users since I usually do a CUSTOM INSTALL and the last few OS upgrades didn't take more then 2gigs of HD space ever. Unless you use all the iLife apps and other 3rd party junk.

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 09:02 PM   #9
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

I still have about 40GB's left on my internal... Which should last me until I get a G5 sometime next year. Since I will be installing the Final of Tiger when it's out, I'll be down to about 37-38GB's. If I get motivated before hand, I might try and wipe stuff I don't need (3rd party sharware apps, files) to reclaim some more room.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X