Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Business 2.0 published an article which provides a roundup of thoughts circulating around the Mac Web and came up with their own "What's Next for Apple?" predictions.

From most likely to least, they provide speculation on the following products:

Wireless iPod
vPod (Video iPod)
iHome (Media Center)
iPod on Wheels (Enhanced iPod/Car interaction)
iPhone (Apple Branded)

A photo essay provides some visuals on these expected products.

Much of the thinking is based on analyst thoughts as well as circulating rumors and patents. Of note, a few of the items have been publicly rejected from comments by Steve Jobs in the past. Specifically, the idea of Apple branded Phones and TV/Computer integration have been denied in the past.

Jobs also expressed doubts about the sucess of portable video players, but didn't deny that they weren't working on such items in their labs.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
iPod, iPod, iPod... *yawn*

I wonder about the validity of a "iPod video".Movie-watching on such small devices were never successful, and unwieldy. I can't see how Apple could get around the fact that you hold it up to your face all the while, which kills any enjoyment you might have gotten from watching the movie.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
personally I'm hoping by the time my iPod needs to be replaced(either wears out or is completly filled) I'll be able to replace it with a 100gb blue tooth iPod, that would be pimp.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I would be interested to see the Wireless iPod.
I doubt there will be an Apple-branded media center (iHome?) because they already have Mac mini :D

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The only one of the five products mentioned in the article that I'm interested in is iPod on Wheels. I already read this article when it was posted on Slashdot. I don't use my iPod at all - if I could connect it to whatever car I happen to be driving regularly, I'd start using it MUCH more. The only problem is that I don't have a free FireWire port to connect my iPod to my Mac.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Jobs dodged the issue of the video pod.

You can't tell me that people wouldn't love to take home movies, and then take them to the office in their pocket.

If there is a market for photos, there is a market for video.

H.264 anyone?

I posted this link this morning to MacBytes. Pity.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
1 Wireless iPod
2 vPod (Video iPod)
3 iHome (Media Center)
4 iPod on Wheels (Enhanced iPod/Car interaction)
5 iPhone (Apple Branded)

1 maybe (bluetooth auto update without stopping layback?)
2 no (jobs himself said its a dumb idea, video encoding takes longer than just watching, 2 inch screen would suck, etc.)
3 no (jobs says tv and computer wont mix, brain turns on while at computer, off while at tv)
4 yes, its been done (bmw), now its due for an update
5 no (stupid idea-- apple+music, good, apple+telephony, why?)

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
iHome is the wrong way to think of it.

Howabout iServe, as in Xserve for consumers.

:D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
iGary said:
Jobs dodged the issue of the video pod.

You can't tell me that people wouldn't love to take home movies, and then take them to the office in their pocket.

If there is a market for photos, there is a market for video.

H.264 anyone?

I posted this link this morning to MacBytes. Pity.

I agree with you totally. Honestly i didn't really see a market for the iPod Photo, - iPod Video would have probably been better. You can watch photos and videos on it. I mean showing photos to your friends is cool but, videos would be much better. Think of it, no need to drag your camcorder around, use your iPod to show your family your trip to Disneyland or what not.

The iPod Photo I guess is doing well but I wouldn't buy one until there is some video or a hack at least (...one that doesn't require moving the scroll wheel forever ;))

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
The iPod Video could work. I would expect a whole new form factor though with a bigger screen, but it could not be any bigger overall because of portability. I see flipping the iPod on its side, so then there is a widescreen. Apple would then have to invent a new, easier, better interface.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
dferrara said:
Although it's hard to imagine Apple products with leather...
And it would be a stupid move by Apple.

A lot of Mac users are people who, um, think different. Meaning a disproportionate number of Mac users are vegetarians, as in... people who don't buy things with the skins of dead animals in them.

Apple of all companies should know that it's not good to piss off a piece of your market, even if it is only around 5%.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
just clicked on the link, and I must say I like the watch. If it came with a clean set of wireless earbuds and some ingenious way of helping me not lose them and I was in the market for a new watch, that is something I'd look at, not just for the cool factor, but walking to class is about 10-15 minutes so I don't need something with a large amount of storage for that, and when I'm in my car I would use my normal iPod.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
rickvanr said:
...a clean set of wireless earbuds and some ingenious way of helping me not lose them...

Surgical implants.

WTF else would keep people from losing something that small?

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
These guys actually paid someone to make mock-ups of speculated apple products....
Oh and why is this front page news....Do they mean if Business 2.0 publishes it then they know more than we do. well i am quite dissapointed not a single computer product. :(

DjVoTeZ

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I love the iPhone and iHome and would buy them in a second. Please Apple more is better as long as you make it!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
The problem with that wireless iPod concept is that, assuming you're wearing it around your neck, when you flip it up towards you the display and controls are upside down. Unless you're planning on becoming the first walking jukebox, where people can just walk up to you and punch buttons. :p

You can definitely bet on a wireless model down the road though. There's only so many "innovations" the iPod can go through!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Wireless iPod: Not using Bluetooth, just not possible to use practically...

iPod Video could be next step for the iPods, maybe not to view it at the 2" screen, but as a portable video player you connect to your TV...

Media Center could be a next step from the mini... Wasn't there a rumor a couple of weeks ago about Apple being interested in TIVO, or something like that...?

Car Integration has to become better, so why not?

An iPhone would be great, as I said now that it seems the Motorola deal is dead... I'd buy one the day it came out...

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Toe said:
Surgical implants.

WTF else would keep people from losing something that small?

How about a cord, about 2 feet long, that keeps them together, with another cord attached at the midpoint that tethers them to the iPod? You'd never lose those suckers!

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
ipod head unit

Apple needs to hook up with Kenwood or Alpine and make an in-dash head unit with a flip down face that has a slot to insert ipods into. Higher level models could have a touch-face 7' screen and the full version of itunes to access your library with, plus some kind of bluetooth internet connectivity via a phone to access the iTunes music store while on the road. How cool would that be to be driving down the road and hear a song you like on the radio, and buy it right there on the spot from the music store. Other cool things they could do would be in-car navigation where the road atlases would be stored on your iPod, and could be bought through the music store. You could use your iPhoto library as a screensaver, or watch your iMovie content when in park. Probably wouldn't be cheap... but I'm sure many of you out there would buy one if it was available.

What do you guys think?

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
DTphonehome said:
How about a cord, about 2 feet long, that keeps them together, with another cord attached at the midpoint that tethers them to the iPod? You'd never lose those suckers!
Ah, but in this context it was an iPod Watch... I doubt people would want two danglies hanging from their wrist... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.