Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Was browsing Craigslist this morning and I came across this ad...

Screen_Shot_2011-06-25_at_17.15.59.png

8a7309df.jpg

Some people really are retarded. The lion on the DVD is cut off, and they label isn't even centered.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Was browsing Craigslist this morning and I came across this ad...

Some people really are retarded. The lion on the DVD is cut off, and they label isn't even centered.

Screw Apple, why would I pay $29 when I can give this nice honest person $40 ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So he is selling a program for 10 bucks MORE then you can get it for legally and on dvd which isn't gonna happen, right? Buyer beware...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have deleted the link because selling Lion is illegal at the moment and we think it might lead to potential sales. I have added pictures so there are proofs that someone is really doing this :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I have deleted the link because selling Lion is illegal at the moment and we think it might lead to potential sales"

This is a precursor of "things to come".

There has been a discussion in several other threads to the effect of "will Apple release Lion on DVD?", instead of making it available as "downloadable only" from The Apple Store.

As I wrote in one of those threads, Apple is trying to "bend the market" to its whims by restricting just how Lion will be sold.

But one does not control "the market". As Adam Smith wrote in "The Wealth of Nations", the market is governed by "an invisible hand" that belongs to no one in particular. The market has its own needs, and will create its own vectors and pathways to satisfy them.

This is "the invisible hand" at work. Whether Apple wishes it to be or not, there IS going to be "a market", possibly a large one, for those who will want Lion but don't have the ability to download it from the Apple store, and who wish to purchase it "in the hard copy".

Whether the copies they buy are "legal" or not will make less of a difference than that they will actually be able to _get_ "a hard copy" of Lion.

I sense we will be seeing more ads "along this theme" in the future.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The precursor is that piracy is not allowed. This is not a new rule but a long standing one. It does not matter if the software we're talking about it is Microsoft office, photoshop or OSX. Apple sets the rights and terms in how they want to distribute the software.

Whether you want to abide by that is your business but it has no place here at MacRumors

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
well he might be the only way to get Lion on a DVD if you don't know what you're doing.

It's still illegal though. No matter how many people complain about Apple's method of distribution, it doesn't give this guy a right to distribute it on his own and better yet, ask money for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.