Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Hey, new to this forum and have an issue that has bugged me for a while now.
I have a 2.66 i7 15" MBP that my old work got me, so it is registered with them. I have since left there and all my software is registered with the old company, how can I change this information?

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61860569@N04/5880058455/in/photostream

Did you try Word > Preferences > User Information ? Mine just has my name, where it says company might change the "At Work"

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
I've never really got why I see my Apple ID name under 'places' and elsewhere, and then the name I put in for my computer in other programmes, ie Log out. etc. Thought it would have been one name only if I'm the only user.

My Accounts name is the Name I used for computer, my work name, but in Places where my Docs, downloads, music, pictures etc., are under is the Apple ID name from my email address, same as that ID is used for 'users'. Shouldn't that also be my account name that I chose when I set up the MBP? What is the difference between the two, or is that normal on here?

Last edited:

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
OK, so it's not the most cohesive of questions, but is there a way to have the user name the same as the account name on the MBP, I don't really need or want two names, but that's how they make you set up when you switch on? Or are they all like this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.