Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:07 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Reportedly Planning Significant Boost in iPad 2 Shipments for 3Q 2011

DigiTimes briefly reports that Apple is planning a significant increase in iPad 2 shipments for the third quarter of this year, attempting to move 12-14 million units over the period. That goal is up from the 7-9 million units reportedly shipped during the second quarter.
Quote:
In order to significantly increase its shipments in the third quarter, Apple has been piling up its inventory of iPad 2 components such as panels in the second quarter to minimize the risk of facing component shortages.
Research analysts have had a particularly difficult time forecasting Apple's quarterly iPad shipments in the face of production constraints and the transition from the original iPad to the iPad 2. While a number of research analysts and firms have pegged Apple's total 2011 iPad sales in the range of 40 million units or even higher, Apple fell far short of expectations in the first calendar quarter with only 4.69 million units shipped. That figure only included, however, a few initial weeks of iPad 2 sales as Apple struggled to meet demand and according to Tim Cook sold every iPad 2 it made during the quarter.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning Significant Boost in iPad 2 Shipments for 3Q 2011
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
soco
macrumors 68030

Clearing out inventory much?

I'm excited! Let's get to the double announcement of iPad 3 and the 2011 MBA! Oh and let's not forget the iPhone 5 and 4S lol This year is so wacky with rumors. Love it!
soco is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:10 AM   #3
840quadra

Not that it will help much, but I plan on finally buying one. The nice thing is, I will need a second down the road, so little worries here on a pending update!
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

This iPad thing... a failure. And these numbers are just a temporary bump as the fad... continues. It's nothing anyone wants to use.

/sarcasm
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Takeo
macrumors 6502

If it were possible to walk into my local Best Buy or Future Shop and walk out with one 5 minutes later I would have bought one ages ago. Can't be bothered to order one online and wait. So I'm still using my original iPad.
Takeo is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

I'm excited! Let's get to the double announcement of iPad 3 and the 2011 MBA! Oh and let's not forget the iPhone 5 and 4S lol This year is so wacky with rumors. Love it!
Are you being sarcastic? They're looking to build MORE iPad 2 units, not fewer. Why would they be building more of them if they wanted to clear out their inventory?

Perhaps you misunderstood. This story pretty much puts an end to the idea that we'll see an iPad 3 this year. It was never on the cards anyway, of course.
Zunjine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:20 AM   #7
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

Can't wait to see people blabbering about how Apple is making toys for everyone.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:20 AM   #8
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Interesting

This is news considering I just read about how Samsung is trying to get the courts to put an injunction on product from been brought into the States. I think Samsung has really lost its mind.

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-seeks-...053306951.html

Oh Samsung you really have lost your mind now.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunjine View Post
Are you being sarcastic? They're looking to build MORE iPad 2 units, not fewer. Why would they be building more of them if they wanted to clear out their inventory?

Perhaps you misunderstood. This story pretty much puts an end to the idea that we'll see an iPad 3 this year. It was never on the cards anyway, of course.
You must be an analyst.

How else would you know that that there will not be an ipad3 this year:-)
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:22 AM   #10
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmaShine View Post
Can't wait to see people blabbering about how Apple is making toys for everyone.
And what a toy it is!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:23 AM   #11
adrian.oconnor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
This iPad thing... a failure. And these numbers are just a temporary bump as the fad... continues. It's nothing anyone wants to use.

/sarcasm
Heh, I remember all the whining and shouting in the forums when Apple announced the iPad. In this thread, started just after the announcement, somebody even suggested it was time for Steve Jobs to retire! I guess that's why Job's the visionary leader of an incredible company, and we're here, criticizing and complaining incessantly
adrian.oconnor is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:24 AM   #12
foidulus
macrumors 6502a

Good news for Japan

One really good piece of news we can probably read from this is that most of the supply disruption caused by the March 11th quake has pretty much disappeared, which is good news for Japan's economy.
foidulus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:27 AM   #13
FriarNurgle
macrumors regular

I want one for Xmas.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:28 AM   #14
stadlin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
You must be an analyst.

because apple called the year 2011 the year of the iPad 2?
stadlin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:28 AM   #15
*LTD*
Banned

At least 40 million in 2012. And that might be on the low side.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:29 AM   #16
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

with iPad 2 leading the tablet market by far and them not being able to keep up production along with increasing production for Q3 I don't see Apple coming out with another new iPad within a year of the iPad 2, much less six months.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:30 AM   #17
pmz
Banned

I really can't wait for iOS 5 to hit gold master status. Then I'll know for sure whether my iPad 1 really can or cannot handle iOS 5. Right now, under the beta, it's as bad or worse as the iPhone 3G + iOS 4 disaster.

If my iPad 1 continues to perform like garbage on ios 5 once it goes public, I'll be plenty pissed off, and then figure out a way to sell it and some other toys to buy and iPad 2. I really wanted to wait for iPad 3 next year, but I need to use my iPad daily, and I won't be able to if current firmware runs like crap on it.
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:31 AM   #18
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:

/sarcasm
You're right, those fanbois will buy any piece of junk with an Apple logo slapped on it. How many billions do they number now? Stupid cultists!
Laird Knox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:36 AM   #19
johnnymg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
At least 40 million in 2012. And that might be on the low side.
To make 40m (cal year 2011) would require roughly this quarterly sales rate:
5 + 9 + 12 + 14

The 5 is in the bank and I'm pretty confident in the 9. The 11 and 14 are WAGS. I'm long aapl but think 40m would be slightly ambitious for 2011. I'd be good with anything over 38m.

cheers to the longs
JohnG
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:36 AM   #20
Hussard
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.oconnor View Post
Heh, I remember all the whining and shouting in the forums when Apple announced the iPad. In this thread, started just after the announcement, somebody even suggested it was time for Steve Jobs to retire! I guess that's why Job's the visionary leader of an incredible company, and we're here, criticizing and complaining incessantly
or even look at the iPod thread back in 2001

it always makes me smiles.
Hussard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:37 AM   #21
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
You must be an analyst.

Actually, I'm a consultant, which is almost as bad.

Simple logic though. Why would Apple release a new model when the old model is selling so well and is still so new? They can't even keep up with current demand. Plus the rumour has never really had any substance. No reason to believe it.

Add in the "2011 is the year of iPad 2" statement and the pattern of releasing iDevices on a roughtly 12 month rotation since the iPhone and iPod Touch set said pattern and you've got a pretty massive shovel full of reasons to not expect an iPad 3 this year and really no reason at all to expect one.
Zunjine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:39 AM   #22
kevingaffney
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Glad there wont be an iPad3 this year. Rather they take their time and have a proper upgrade next year, unlike the unspectacular one this year. My original iPad is doing fine and will be replaced be a 3 whenever it arrives. I reckon two years is the ideal gap between upgrading, big improvements usually
kevingaffney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:40 AM   #23
johnnymg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Actually, I'm a consultant, which is almost as bad.

Simple logic though. Why would Apple release a new model when the old model is selling so well and is still so new? They can't even keep up with current demand. Plus the rumour has never really had any substance. No reason to believe it.

Add in the "2011 is the year of iPad 2" statement and the pattern of releasing iDevices on a roughtly 12 month rotation since the iPhone and iPod Touch set said pattern and you've got a pretty massive shovel full of reasons to not expect an iPad 3 this year and really no reason at all to expect one.
This is another clue as to why Apple has moved the iphone release to the early fall. i.e. ipad and iphone release will now henceforth be on a ~6 month offset release cycle. Makes life much easier in terms of managing suppliers and SW development.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:42 AM   #24
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmaShine View Post
fortunately for Apple, people love toys.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:43 AM   #25
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.oconnor
Quote:

/sarcasm
You think that's something? Take a look at good old thread 500 for some laughs. (sorry, on my iPhone, can't post a link)
DTphonehome is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion