Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: New Browser: Phoenix...

Originally posted by shadowfax0
Go here:
http://mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html

This is going to be a 'light-weight' browser from mozilla.org. No Mac version yet (perhaps because this is Chimera territory...?) Anyhow, It'd be nice to drop some of the extra baggage Mozilla tends to have...

From the site

"Where's the mac version?

There is no mac version. While Phoenix could be made to run on Mac without much trouble, we see no point in competing with Chimera. Chimera is the lightweight, standalone Mozilla browser solution."

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Got it! Finally!

Ok I just finished downloading it and I'm a bit impressed. The iterface is Mozilla-like (complete with tabs:D) though it's a bit stripped down, without a lot of options (the advanced tab in Preferences is empty!:eek: ) but that's what this is supposed to be right?:p
It's a little speedier than Mozilla, but I didn't notice that much difference cuz I'm on dialup.:( Other than that It's a pretty good browser especially since this is v0.1
It has plenty of potential for the PC platform.:)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 309

Tarlach

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2002
Hawaii
If you are using a PC and running Linux, Galeon is a much better browser than Pheonix, plus is is also gecko based.

Chimera is similar to Galeon with less features. The good feature for being a stripped down browser and fast Chimera is gecko based and has the cool Aqua widgets.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
I just want Chimera to be Ver. 1.0 or thereabouts; I want to be able to order movie tickets online with comfort, and not have it crash in the middle :( Also, just because I'm curious, I use Entourage for mail, not Mozilla mail, anyone know how to turn it off? i.e. when I click on a link to email someone, it routes me to Entourage, and not Mozilla mail...?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by shadowfax0
I just want Chimera to be Ver. 1.0 or thereabouts; I want to be able to order movie tickets online with comfort, and not have it crash in the middle :( Also, just because I'm curious, I use Entourage for mail, not Mozilla mail, anyone know how to turn it off? i.e. when I click on a link to email someone, it routes me to Entourage, and not Mozilla mail...?

Go to http://www.macosxhints.com and search there. There is an edit which you need to make to a .plist file (if I remember correctly).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.