Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrJonnyJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
UK
I've got the standard 6600 and I've found a Quadro FX4500 on eBay, but its branded as a Dell unit. I'm just wondering whether this matters at all or whether I should just buy it and install it? The 6600 is driving me crazy, I can't render 1080p ProRes edits in Final Cut Pro.

Thanks in advance! :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
The GPU will not help you much with rendering, not in FCP, of which you even might have an old version.
What exactly is the problem with your ProRes material?

MrJonnyJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
UK
It starts to render and then a box pops up saying the graphics card isn't suitable for rendering the ProRes timeline - or something like that. Very annoying. I'm using Final Cut Pro 6 - 7 doesn't run on PPC from my understanding. Cheers!

Nov 28, 2010
located

MrJonnyJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
UK
Thanks for that link. So if it isn't branded Apple then there's a good chance there will be variations on firmware on the card itself, do you think? I've also found a GeForce 7800 GT that IS branded Apple. I'm just wondering whether any kind of upgrade would have some kind of effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.