Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stewacide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Infinity Labs Afloat doesn't seem to be working in Lion (not sure if that's an Afloat or SIMBL problem).

In the meantime are there any other ways to pin windows on top in OSX I could try? Not having this functionality is very annoying / should be built into the OS a la Linux IMHO.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I also miss afloat but simbl caused problems with Safari 4 so I stopped using it. I am also seeking an alternative.

Submerged06

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
I am also looking for a solution -- I use afloat for Adium, and I can get it to stick but am then unable to click the window at all while it's stuck to the desktop. Anyone know anything?

jasweb

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Pretoria - South Africa
I haven't had any problems using Afloat on Lion.

Sure you are using Lion? Else have you restarted since installing Lion?

I vaguely remember Afloat working after upgrading to Lion, but since I restarted it is NOT working anymore (and cannot install it again) :(

[UPDATE]: OK seems some Apps you can still "Keep Afloat" like Smart Converter, but Adium is not one of them anymore. Also not Safari or Firefox...

Last edited:

wonza

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
has anyone managed to get this working yet?

I've just installed it and it only seems to work on finder and that's about it. :(

Also, the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work at all (cntr-cmd-A).

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
Just installed Afloat. Only used it with Safari - all i need it for - and it works fine *so far* ....... not restarted machine it. It was updated July 29th 2011 so maybe its been fixed for Lion?

Version 2.4:
- Afloat is now fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.7, including full compatibility with sandboxed apps.
- Fixed several bugs that involved Afloat only dragging away, floating or making transparent only a part of the window. Afloat can now be disabled on a per-app basis using the Terminal.

Hawthornman

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Nope not working for me either

Just installed the new version of Afloat on my new iMac and can't get anything to stay up!!

c.breeze

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
I am also looking for a solution -- I use afloat for Adium, and I can get it to stick but am then unable to click the window at all while it's stuck to the desktop. Anyone know anything?

I used Afloat for Adium as well! I wish it worked properly for Lion OSX... :(

Still no solutions? anyone??

Josh83

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
I used Afloat for Adium as well! I wish it worked properly for Lion OSX... :(

Still no solutions? anyone??

Anyone found a solution? Installed afloat right after getting my new MBP with Lion, and it worked, but now after rebooting it doesn't show up anymore. Very sad.

Sedicivalvole

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
I had the same issue.

After looking at the SIMBL Launch Agent it seems it is not set to start and be persistent.

Alter the .plist and make it run when the system starts up.

The file is in /Library/LaunchAgents/

If you are not comfortable with Terminal you can use Lingon.

Sedici

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.