Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_store_15_billion.jpg

Apple today announced that the App Store for iOS devices has surpassed 15 billion downloads, having paid out over $2.5 billion to developers and sold over 200 million iOS devices.
Apple today announced that over 15 billion apps have been downloaded from its revolutionary App Store by the more than 200 million iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users worldwide. The App Store offers more than 425,000 apps and developers have created an incredible array of over 100,000 native iPad apps.

"In just three years, the revolutionary App Store has grown to become the most exciting and successful software marketplace the world has ever seen," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Thank you to all of our amazing developers who have filled it with over 425,000 of the coolest apps and to our over 200 million iOS users for surpassing 15 billion downloads."
The milestone puts the App Store essentially on par with Apple's iTunes Music Store, which the company announced as having reached 15 billion downloads at its Worldwide Developers Conference one month ago.

Article Link: Apple's App Store Hits 15 Billion Downloads

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
that is some impressive growth....too bad half of the apps I buy I delete cause I find them worthless....

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I bet there is at least 10,000 really good apps in that list. A few that people never find out about. I wish there was a better navigation too to find good apps. Perhaps smart filters and ignore lists that weed out apps you don't care about. Perhaps some graphical tools to show you sub categories of apps to find those jems.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Crazy, but only a $2.5 B pay out for 15 B downloads seems very low even with a 30% cut.

Free applications.

That's an average of 75 downloads per device - I think I have close to 800 apps in my purchase history (I went free app crazy when I bought my 3G 3 years ago and when I was anticipating buying the first generation iPad), I'd be surprised if I paid for more than 30 of those apps and I regularly use about 100 of those across my iPhone 4 and iPad.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Crazy, but only a $2.5 B pay out for 15 B downloads seems very low even with a 30% cut.

Average application price works out to be $0.238

Obviously the free apps bring this down a lot.

Although note that is based on $2.5B rather than an unspecified amount over it so it will be higher but not a huge amount.

Ventucky

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Ventucky
If my calculations are correct, Jan 24 2018 at 8:38 a.m. should be prime opportunity for the 1 trillionth download. Licking my chops for a $500 iTunes card!!!

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
4 posts in and people are being negative already.

A serious question - why do you people come to an Apple Fanboy website if you're just going to complain?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
That's quite a walled garden.

4 posts in and people are being negative already.

A serious question - why do you people come to an Apple Fanboy website if you're just going to complain?

Jealously, inability to comprehend the Apple philosophy, frustration that ONE company gets the glory so consistently, etc.

It must be hell for them during quarterly report time.

I bet there is at least 10,000 really good apps in that list. A few that people never find out about. I wish there was a better navigation too to find good apps. Perhaps smart filters and ignore lists that weed out apps you don't care about. Perhaps some graphical tools to show you sub categories of apps to find those jems.

Top apps in each category. There's a reason they're top apps. It's not that hard.

Last edited:

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
"Thank you to all of our amazing developers who have filled it with over 425,000 of the coolest apps and to our over 200 million iOS users for surpassing 15 billion downloads."
Maybe I haven't been listening properly, but are the userbase numbers that Apple puts out usually in "users" or "devices"? Because I thought at WWDC they were quoting more than 200 million iOS devices sold which is quite different than 200 million iOS users.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I'm proud to be responsible for about 0.0000002% of that. I've spent entirely too much money on apps...

My math is sound.

vterm

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
425K of the coolest apps????

Philip Schiller said "425.000 of the coolest apps"!!!!!
Oh come on Phil, seriously???
You can find so much crap in the AppStore, that it isn't even worth the time downloading....
I think that the coolest apps are not more than 10000....maybe even less

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Philip Schiller said "425.000 of the coolest apps"!!!!!
Oh come on Phil, seriously???
You can find so much crap in the AppStore, that it isn't even worth the time downloading....
I think that the coolest apps are not more than 10000....maybe even less

From a certain age on adults shouldn't be using the word "cool".

Obviously impossible that all 425 k are.

The sheer amount of apps makes it IMO impossible to explore all the good ones.

But, as LTD posted check the top sellers and you'll get good ones for the most part. Not every app works for everybody's nuance of need.

Consumers do however always seem to have a good antenna to find good deals, be that pricewise or functionality.

Personally, I read MacWorld and check out their recommendations. (They do 100 or 200 must have apps at a time). I'd say 20 of those are for what I do.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Free applications.

That's an average of 75 downloads per device - I think I have close to 800 apps in my purchase history (I went free app crazy when I bought my 3G 3 years ago and when I was anticipating buying the first generation iPad), I'd be surprised if I paid for more than 30 of those apps and I regularly use about 100 of those across my iPhone 4 and iPad.
In addition to those free apps, a lot of folks wait for apps to get discounted. There's a lot of discounting of games over the weekends and major holidays.

There are whole sites like AppShopper, FreeAppOfTheDay, FreeAppAlert, etc. devoted to bargain hunting app shoppers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.