Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
In addition to those free apps, a lot of folks wait for apps to get discounted. There's a lot of discounting of games over the weekends and major holidays.

There are whole sites like AppShopper, FreeAppOfTheDay, FreeAppAlert, etc. devoted to bargain hunting app shoppers.

Appshopper is quite good, discovered it a few days ago and the amount of information it has is shocking.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Well, it may be a walled garden, but the walls are an awfully long way away when you're standing in the middle!

Wait, though, didn't Steve say that web apps were all we'd ever need? ;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
So after a "certain age" one should not use the word "cool".

OK, I can take a hint. Since I am of a "certain age" (read: old), I'll never use cool again.

How about nifty, swell, the bees knees, or the cat's pajamas. Is that OK for us old farts? ;-)

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Apple should have run this story one month after Lion is released. Talk about a vertical graph!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Top apps in each category. There's a reason they're top apps. It's not that hard.

Your funny. But I can't tell you how many times I found something I really liked that probably wasn't in the top 50. Everyone looks at the top apps so the app store is largely unexplored. Sort of like going to New York on vacation and only hanging out at the airport.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
This is exciting. I can't wait until they hit 20 billion. I'm thinking of throwing a big party to celebrate.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple today announced that the App Store for iOS devices has surpassed 15 billion downloads, having paid out over $2.5 billion to developers and sold over 200 million iOS devices.

Do we have the same chart for webos, android, winphone7os, etc?

Dunno about those other smartphone sales. However, in comparison to dumbphones:

Just Qualcomm BREW apps on carriers like Verizon have paid out over $3 billion to developers, having shipped on over 1 billion devices. And btw, that royalty amount was with only 18,000 apps, so BREW developers are doing quite well.

Apple wasn't trying to save users from carriers, but to replace carrier app stores with their own lucrative walled garden.

So after a "certain age" one should not use the word "cool". OK, I can take a hint. Since I am of a "certain age" (read: old), I'll never use cool again. How about nifty, swell, the bees knees, or the cat's pajamas. Is that OK for us old farts? ;-)

Today's generations should be glad that us old farts invented "cool" and fought for rock & roll.

Otherwise it'd all still be like "Pleasantville", with teens saying "golly" and listening to Pat Boone :)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Your funny. But I can't tell you how many times I found something I really liked that probably wasn't in the top 50. Everyone looks at the top apps so the app store is largely unexplored. Sort of like going to New York on vacation and only hanging out at the airport.

Then just sift through the categories or search using keywords.

Or ask around. Or research on the web. Like you'd do if there was no App Store to begin with.

Complaints like yours are ridiculous.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
Apple should have run this story one month after Lion is released. Talk about a vertical graph!

that is ok, with Apple giving away 100 dollars AppStore gift cards for every MAC sold to a student they will have another chance to put Philip Schiller up there soon

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
I wonder what the free to paid ratio is?

I think it's 20-30% free apps in the app store where Android is 60-70% free.

iOS has double the amount of 425,000 apps that Android has 200,000 what Google announced at Google I/O in May.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Not bad for such a "closed" platform. Although I'm waiting for someone to chalk it all up to Apple being great at marketing.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
People underestimate the number of highly useful niche apps in there.

I probably have two score of apps that almost nobody in this thread would find useful at all yet are highly useful to them... Same with others they have apps they use that nobody else would have any use for...

The number of niche apps is very high and most of those are free, and extremely useful.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
15 billion apps downloaded by 200 million users? So that is an avg. of 75 apps per device?

The mean average is probably way off the median because of the 80/20 rule. A minority of iOS users (say 20%) are probably downloading several 100's of (mostly free) apps, while the majority of users probably download closer to only a couple dozen apps or less.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Then just sift through the categories or search using keywords.

Or ask around. Or research on the web. Like you'd do if there was no App Store to begin with.

Complaints like yours are ridiculous.

Responses like yours are uncalled for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.