Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I kind of want one. Just for the complete ridiculousness of it. Of course, it would be all fine, and maybe even work as a gag gift for that "serious" iPhone photographer, except it's almost $200.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous. If I have any of my lenses on me, chances are I have my camera on me too (and maybe even my backup camera).

...BUT part of me just wants to see how ridiculous my iPhone would look hooked up to my Canon 100-400L, lol. I wonder how bad the fringing gets combining the lens with the adapter and the lowly iPhone glass? I bet many of the images would be darker, making the auto exposure on the iPhone compensate, meaning grainy high-iso images. Haha no thanks...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Surely this is some kind of joke? Apart from the terrible ergonomics, putting decent glass in front of the crappy iPhone lens and sensor is not going to make things better!
Here's a crop from one of their "amazing" photos with this pile of junk.

I bet Canon and Nikon are really losing sleep over this </sarcasm>

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-07 at 21.15.11.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-07 at 21.15.11.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,248

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
The iPhone 4 camera is fantastic as it is, but I would probably purchase something like this simply out of convenience. The lens is big, but the camera is small, and that would be a major advantage.

hexx

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
London, UK, \m/
Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous. If I have any of my lenses on me, chances are I have my camera on me too (and maybe even my backup camera).

...BUT part of me just wants to see how ridiculous my iPhone would look hooked up to my Canon 100-400L, lol. I wonder how bad the fringing gets combining the lens with the adapter and the lowly iPhone glass? I bet many of the images would be darker, making the auto exposure on the iPhone compensate, meaning grainy high-iso images. Haha no thanks...

not just that. but the size of the light receptor is so small that multiplier must be so high that mounting a 400mm FX lens on this could result in what?:rolleyes:

correct me if i'm wrong but:
400mm FX lens on FX sensor with dimensions 36x24 mm = 400mm
400mm FX lens on DX sensor with crop factor 1.5 = 600mm
400mm FX lens attached to iPhone lens of very small surface could result in hyper-zoom :D

hexx

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
London, UK, \m/
not just that. but the size of the light receptor is so small that multiplier must be so high that mounting a 400mm FX lens on this could result in what?:rolleyes:

correct me if i'm wrong but:
400mm FX lens on FX sensor with dimensions 36x24 mm = 400mm
400mm FX lens on DX sensor with crop factor 1.5 = 600mm
400mm FX lens attached to iPhone lens of very small surface could result in hyper-zoom :D

actually i might be wrong, looking at the pics on their website and that adaptor is big, there's some magic hidden inside, must be, it's for magical phone ;)

it has also tripod mounts on each sidev:)

Last edited:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This makes life SO much easier!

Imagine not having to lug around that bulky bit of camera! Now I just have to lug around those half-dozen bulky lenses and other bits of unfortunately shaped photography equipment. Life is better today by 1%.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Seriously? Is this some kind of joke or what?

Look at the 2nd picture. Have fun framing all your shots upside-down! (SLR optics flip the image vertically)

Look at the 3rd picture. WTF do you need a UV filter on there for!? Between the lens and the iPhone? Seriously?

Look at the 4th picture. Look at the awful, awful, awful pincushion distortion and terrible, terrible, terrible corner quality.

Had a good laugh though. :)

Ruahrc

astrosinmyeyes

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Vienna, Austria
NO way!

Haha
One of those times when the boss' kid, in his first board meeting says, "Hey I JUST had a great idea!" And no one had the balls to call him on it...........
This is gonna sell, oh, not too many.
Anyone stupid enough to buy this, buy one for me too.
I wanna be the dumbass that pulls this out at a wedding and then gets distroyed!!!!:D

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
haha, that epic :p
imagine how stupid you look when someone calls you while taking a picture :D have fun holding that to your ear :D

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
I got an email from Photojojo today telling me about this - immediately thought I'd give it a try, until i saw the price....are they KIDDING?!?!? $250?!?!? For a Nikon/Canon mount ring attached to an iPhone case?!!

Bananas. Do not want.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
This is exactly what you want: use a $2000 Canon EF L lens with an iPhone 4 that does not use the image stabilizer, autofocus OR let you control the aperture... because I think someone forgot to mention: you need an active adapter or a Canon camera body to control a Canon lens aperture or use any of it's electronic features.. doh.

And using a adapter with ground glass to project a 35mm image on, then shoot it with a iPhone lens will get you: terrible chromatic aberration, the texture of the ground glass in all pictures because it is static, double flipped image headache and probably some vingetting and other optical nonsense. We did all this with the Letus adapters on video cameras. The solution was a $4500 adapter with a prism and spinning ground glass... completely ridiculous when you think we now got Canon 5D's etc.

For $250 you can get a cheapass DSLR body that wil out perform the iPhone camera 1000X but you just can't share those pictures on facebook instantly.. oh dear

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.