Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Wow. If this works like things usually do, the lens'll be projecting on to a semitransparent screen, which eats like 90% of the light, rendering this thing useless except on sunny days.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this is so comical that it isn't even funny.

i wish i could hear one person try and explain why this is a good idea.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I suppose it could have a valid use. If you were setup someplace and wanted to email the pictures as fast as you shot them this would be one solution. There are probably better solutions for that.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Kinda sad, as I did this once just messing about. Took an SLR lens, opened the iris up, and stuck my iphone up to it - messed around for all of 1 minute.

I got bored and capped the lens and stowed it away... to think someone had that same idea and then decided to sell it?

Part of me wants to meet this person, for reasons I can't explain...

andrew0122

macrumors regular
Haha
One of those times when the boss' kid, in his first board meeting says, "Hey I JUST had a great idea!" And no one had the balls to call him on it...........
This is gonna sell, oh, not too many.
Anyone stupid enough to buy this, buy one for me too.
I wanna be the dumbass that pulls this out at a wedding and then gets distroyed!!!!:D

HAHAHA! Just make sure that you have you iPhone "SLR" on silent, nothing would interrupt a ceremony more than a crappy iPhone capture tone! :rolleyes:

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
It's pricey for sure.

I'm really curious as to the intended market for this product.

That said, not everyone has two SLRs, and it can be convenient not having to switch if you just wanted to take a quick snap (obviously, why not just use your iPhone in that case!).

I wonder what the resulting field of view is?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

One of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
I can see some advantages of using the iPhone - namely video shots and GPS location - but I don't think this is really practical for us.

I would like to see
1) an iPhone/iPad app connecting wirelessly to my camera's SD card and pulling off the photos while out (without needing a wifi network).
2) an app which takes my iPhone's GPS location data and writes it into my camera's photos.

That would be useful.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
How is any man supposed to have that monstrosity in his pocket without giving people the wrong idea?

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
not just that. but the size of the light receptor is so small that multiplier must be so high that mounting a 400mm FX lens on this could result in what?:rolleyes:

correct me if i'm wrong but:
400mm FX lens on FX sensor with dimensions 36x24 mm = 400mm
400mm FX lens on DX sensor with crop factor 1.5 = 600mm
400mm FX lens attached to iPhone lens of very small surface could result in hyper-zoom :D

And to the opposite point, what kind of ridiculous wide angle lens would you need to achieve at least a "normal" point of view? I didn't do the math and only hastily googled, but I believe the built-in iPhone lens has something like a 3.8mm focal length- none of our fancy SLR lenses would be anything but long telephotos.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
And to the opposite point, what kind of ridiculous wide angle lens would you need to achieve at least a "normal" point of view? I didn't do the math and only hastily googled, but I believe the built-in iPhone lens has something like a 3.8mm focal length- none of our fancy SLR lenses would be anything but long telephotos.

It's my understanding you won't see any massive "crop" effects here:

This adapter projects the image from the attached lens onto a ground-glass screen (like a camera viewfinder) as though it were the sensor. The size of this screen determines the "crop".

The camera on your iphone then focuses on the image projected onto this screen, meaning you won't get any closer with that long telephoto lens unfortunately :eek:

If you could pull the lens off your iPhone and take the ground-glass screen out of the adapter, and get the distance between lens and sensor correct, then could you achieve some rather impressive telephoto :D

Last edited:

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
I can see some advantages of using the iPhone - namely video shots and GPS location - but I don't think this is really practical for us.

I would like to see
1) an iPhone/iPad app connecting wirelessly to my camera's SD card and pulling off the photos while out (without needing a wifi network).
2) an app which takes my iPhone's GPS location data and writes it into my camera's photos.

That would be useful.

This is EXACTLY what. I want too.

nanolover

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The-Pro said:
haha, that epic :p
imagine how stupid you look when someone calls you while taking a picture :D have fun holding that to your ear :D

FOTTROTFL...I just fell off the toilet and am on the floor laughing....

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
For that price they should at least offer an active lenses connector which allows to control aperture and focus via bluetooth from the iPhone.

The only benefit is that you would have an optical zoom instead of digital; on the other side loosing up to 2 fstop.
But hey, at least also a unique idea ...

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

I would like to see

That would be useful.

Look into EyeFi SD cards. They transfer over WiFi, but one of their tricks is they can create their own WiFi network if one isn't available. So really it would work anywhere. And some models have built in geotagging. They can be set to transfer to a computer or iPhone/iPad. It's very nice.

Al1n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Last edited by a moderator:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
And 200$ is not that much. C'mon, a good lens is over 800$.

Yes, but does this adapter offer anywhere near the build quality or materials list of an actual lens?

As for $200, sure it's not much (for some things), but that doesn't mean I want to waste it. I'd pay $20, maybe $50 for this thing, as a gag gift for a photographer friend, but not more.

Jarhead5811

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Madison, MS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It also has GPS built in to the card. Everything you asked for!

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
This is an April Fools that's been left up as I cannot think it's anything other than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.