Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Can anyone help me change the way "Kind" sorts so that my folders appear at the top of the list?

It's not free (about $15), but I can't say enough good things about TotalFinder. It allows you to keep folders on top when sorting, adds cut-and-paste, and also tabs to the Finder. Also, it's Lion-compatible.

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

I've been using this for about 6 months and couldn't imagine going back.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
It's not free (about $15), but I can't say enough good things about TotalFinder. It allows you to keep folders on top when sorting, adds cut-and-paste, and also tabs to the Finder. Also, it's Lion-compatible.

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

I've been using this for about 6 months and couldn't imagine going back.

I didnt even know TotalFinder did this as I have purchased it. Just switching from PC to MAC I was wishing Finder could do this and now Im super stoked!!!!! Thanks lol.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Snow Leopard - Finder - Sort folders first, then files
Contents of the /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings file:

/* General kind strings */
"Folder" = " Folder";
"Volume" = "Volume";
"Burn Folder" = "Burn Folder";

/* Clipping kind strings */
"Picture Clipping" = "Picture Clipping";
"Text Clipping" = "Text Clipping";
"Sound Clipping" = "Sound Clipping";
"Clipping" = "Clipping";

/* Location kind strings */
"Web Internet Location" = "Web Internet Location";
"Mail Internet Location" = "Mail Internet Location";
"AFP Internet Location" = "AFP Internet Location";
"AppleTalk Internet Location" = "AppleTalk Internet Location";
"NSL Internet Location" = "NSL Internet Location";
"Internet Location" = "Internet Location";
"File Internet Location" = "File Internet Location";
"FTP Internet Location" = "FTP Internet Location";
"News Internet Location" = "News Internet Location";

/* Misc kind strings */
"AFP URL" = "AFP URL";
"File URL" = "File URL";
"FTP URL" = "FTP URL";
"Saved Search Query" = "Saved Search Query";

Last edited:

Fronc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Snow Leopard - Finder - Sort folders first, then files
Contents of the /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings file:

I think you misunderstood the point of my post. I used to do that, but in Lion, the InfoPlist.strings file has different contents. This method no longer works, and I'm looking for a way to do it in Lion now, with the default system Finder.

Thanks for trying, though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think you misunderstood the point of my post. I used to do that, but in Lion, the InfoPlist.strings file has different contents. This method no longer works, and I'm looking for a way to do it in Lion now, with the default system Finder.

Thanks for trying, though.
I did misunderstand. I thought you had edited the file and lost the contents and needed to reconstruct the file. I wasn't aware that the file isn't the same in Lion. Good luck with finding a solution!

felixjet

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
I've manage to convert it with plutil, edit it, and convert back, but it doesn't work. What I'm doing wrong? My system is in spanish, so i've change both InfoPlist.strings inside English.proj and Spanish.proj. No luck with any.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fronc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Thanks. Added a space to the "Folder" string by using Text Wrangler (Free). Appreciate everyone's help.

webdigr

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Thanks. Added a space to the "Folder" string by using Text Wrangler (Free). Appreciate everyone's help.

Fronc, where did you add this space, in SL or Lion?
In Lion, I already have that space added, but it doesn't work... Can you please elaborate your statement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.