Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:10 PM   #1
mariot
macrumors member

Macbook Pro for engagement gift??

Hi everyone,

My engagement is coming up and my mother in law is looking to get me a gift. I am debating on getting a macbook pro . Before I decide I wanted to know a few things. First off is the macbook something i can keep for 5-6 years or will it give me tons of problems after a year ? Secondly, is there are huge difference between the 13 inch i5 or i7? I mostly use my laptops for business, school and watching and downloading movies .

Thanks for the help

Mario
mariot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Maschil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariot View Post
Hi everyone,

My engagement is coming up and my mother in law is looking to get me a gift. I am debating on getting a macbook pro . Before I decide I wanted to know a few things. First off is the macbook something i can keep for 5-6 years or will it give me tons of problems after a year ? Secondly, is there are huge difference between the 13 inch i5 or i7? I mostly use my laptops for business, school and watching and downloading movies .

Thanks for the help

Mario
good question i would let someone with more experience answer the bulk of your questions, but one think i knwo for sure i know atleast 2 people who have had the mac book pro from 2006 and its still running fine today in 2011, there good computers and the thing about them is not only do they run untill there last breath, but you are satisfied with your product also...
Maschil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:21 PM   #3
mariot
macrumors member

I also wanted to know if there is a big difference between the new macs and the refurbished ones.

Thanks again
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Typswif2fingers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help

Mario
If its from the mother in law... take as much as you can.. Go for i7

(Joke)

Not sure about the difference..

I am running an i5 on my iMac and C2D on MBP... And to be honest, i5 is somewhat (noticeably) faster.

I presume i7 would be even faster.

Although, as your computer habits are similar to mine, tbh.. even C2D is really good enough... actually, much better than good enough...

As far as refurbs are concerned, I've heard nothing but good.. My next purchase will be a refurb, thats for sure.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:06 PM   #5
ahdickter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi everyone,
First off is the macbook something i can keep for 5-6 years or will it give me tons of problems after a year ?
MacBook Pro's last a long time (as long as you take care of it )

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Secondly, is there are huge difference between the 13 inch i5 or i7? I mostly use my laptops for business, school and watching and downloading movies .
In theory yes, the i7 will have an improvement. However, watching movies and office programs will run the same on the i5.

Now if you realllly wanna get something that will make your MBP feel like a speed demon, save the money from the i7 CPU and buy an SSD. Crucial M4's work great, or buy the SSD pre-installed.

Good Luck!

Last edited by ahdickter; Jul 18, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
ahdickter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:18 PM   #6
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Engagement gift? When did that start?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Daniel97
macrumors 6502a

i just got engaged and i didn't even get a ****ing sandwich off her :@
Daniel97 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:40 PM   #8
mariot
macrumors member

Lol it is an Italian tradition :-) I got a gift from my fiance and from her mom :-)
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:48 PM   #9
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

Honestly, Macs run well for a long long time. Of all the Apple products I've owned, all of them ran as fast as the day I got them even years later. I definitely cannot say the same about my past PC's.

With that said, the Mac community likes shiny things so many of us feel compelled to upgrade within a year, two or three. If we didn't have a choice to upgrade, I can confidently say the computer would last 5 to 8 years. Some parts may break along the way but if you take care of it, problems shouldn't come up too often.

I would definitely get the Apple Care if she's paying.
kappaknight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:54 PM   #10
aery
macrumors member

Quote:
I also wanted to know if there is a big difference between the new macs and the refurbished ones.

Thanks again
Refurbs are great! I've bought two Macs and many iPods refurbished. They come with the same warranty and are good as new. In some ways I think they are even better as they have been looked over instead of just flying off the assembly line. I initially went the refurb route simply because I could not quite afford a new Mac but really wanted one. Now, even if I can afford a new Mac I still stick with refurbs.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:12 PM   #11
dsio
macrumors regular

Quote:
Lol it is an Italian tradition :-) I got a gift from my fiance and from her mom :-)
Unless you make a habit of getting married, you'll only get the chance once, and in 2 years your engagement gift will be worth squat. Same money can buy a vintage Omega Constellation or Speedmaster watch. Better made, better looking, and more reliable than a Macbook by a long shot, and you'll keep it forever.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:18 PM   #12
mariot
macrumors member

dsio... I was only inquiring. I am probably going to buy the mac myself and will probably be getting the Indy 500 tag watch as a gift.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:41 PM   #13
wikus
Banned

Never buy a woman a gift she has to plug in.
wikus is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:14 PM   #14
ladytonya
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
and I could say the same thing about a man.....

Personally, I would rather have had a geeked out MacBook Pro than a fancy expensive engagement ring. I wear my wedding band all the time, but my diamond only for special occasions. I guess it is something that I'll have forever and the computer isn't, especialy since I've been married for 11 years .
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:44 PM   #15
ThirtyThr33
macrumors 6502

Quote:
ahahaha omg this needs to be a shirt or a mug or a card or something
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:01 AM   #16
madonionrings
macrumors member

Quote:
never buy a woman a gift she has to plug in.
+1
madonionrings is offline   -3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro