Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Kinger2010
macrumors newbie

GBA emulator for OS X Lion

I had been happily using Visual Boy Advanced for sometime now until today. I updated my MacBookPro to Lion and I went to open VBA and now I get a message saying "You can't open the application VisualBoyAdvance because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

Any ideas on how I can continue to use this? Or any other Game Boy Advanced emulators out there?
Kinger2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:02 PM   #2
TSE
macrumors 68030

It would be really handy and a good idea if someone made a PowerPC emulator. Hell, I would pay $10 for it if it were on the App Store.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:56 PM   #3
-tWv-
macrumors 68000

try No$GBA

http://www.rkukmedia.co.uk/page/page...%3APage%3A6821

or

http://www.mediafire.com/?h2l2892z3637wy0

not sure which one will work best but this is basically a windows application that is hacked to run on macosx using x11 and Wine. Works for me to run DS games
-tWv- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Watabou
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinger2010 View Post
I had been happily using Visual Boy Advanced for sometime now until today. I updated my MacBookPro to Lion and I went to open VBA and now I get a message saying "You can't open the application VisualBoyAdvance because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

Any ideas on how I can continue to use this? Or any other Game Boy Advanced emulators out there?

There is actually a intel version of Visual Boy Advance called Mac Boy Advance which is what I'm using. Here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Games/M...-Advance.shtml

It's exactly the same as Visual Boy Advance except it runs on Intel and it's a bit faster.
Watabou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Kinger2010
macrumors newbie

Watabou that works perfectly! Thank you so much. Another quick question is there a way I can get my saved game from the other version to load up? Got some time into that

Actually I figured it out myself, just copied the save state from the first version I had to the folder in the new one you just gave me

Last edited by Kinger2010; Jul 20, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Kinger2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Watabou
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Watabou that works perfectly! Thank you so much. Another quick question is there a way I can get my saved game from the other version to load up? Got some time into that

Actually I figured it out myself, just copied the save state from the first version I had to the folder in the new one you just gave me
Yeah its pretty easy, just copy it over to the Battery Saves folder.
Watabou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:00 PM   #7
finkmacunix
macrumors regular

FailFailFailFailFailFailFail

No$GBA=Crap…
It hasn't been updated in ages…

Use VBA-M (What VisualBoy Advance has become)

And use Desmume for DS games…

"But NO$GBA is faster!"

Yeah, but desmume and VBA-M have better GFX and Audio quality… And they can both export saves into the standard .sav format…
finkmacunix is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 06:46 PM   #8
jzietman
macrumors newbie

I've tried building VBA-M from the latest source several times, and it never seems to work. Is that possible with Lion, or do I need to settle for older builds?
jzietman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:49 PM   #9
Tay2234
macrumors newbie

Quote:

this did not work for me on OS X LION any suggestions?
Tay2234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:43 PM   #10
ChristisKing33
macrumors newbie

Question about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post
There is actually a intel version of Visual Boy Advance called Mac Boy Advance which is what I'm using. Here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Games/M...-Advance.shtml

It's exactly the same as Visual Boy Advance except it runs on Intel and it's a bit faster.
Hey, the emulator works brilliantly! Thanks! But is there any way I can make the screen bigger? Because right now I am playing on a Gameboy Sized screen =]

Let me know!
ChristisKing33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Nermal

In Preferences, set the video size to 4x, then press Esc to switch between windowed and fullscreen.
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 07:07 AM   #12
sou1 so1di3r
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sou1 so1di3r
I was using the snesx or something and that doesn't work now that I've upgraded to lion either.

I've ways been looking for a PS1 emulator, never played FFXII and always wanted too.

Where would I find one of those?
sou1 so1di3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 09:09 AM   #13
ChristisKing33
macrumors newbie

=]

Thanks Nermal! Love the Shaman logo, haha...makes me miss WoW
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:54 PM   #14
ChristisKing33
macrumors newbie

Saving Issues

Hey Mac Gurus!

I got my screen nice and large and its a beautiful thing to play gameboy on my mac. However I am having issues with save states and battery saves. I honestly don't even know what either of those things means exactly. But either way, when ever I start up Fire Red Pokemon on Virtual Boy it returns me to the beginning as if I have never played, although I did save in the previous attempt to play. I'm going to search around on google to figure out if I am doing something wrong, but just in case I don't find an answer, I figured I would post here and see if any of you can help me! Thanks in advance for whatever info you can give me!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:40 PM   #15
swedefish
macrumors 6502

What we really need is Pokemon on iOS!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristisKing33 View Post
Hey Mac Gurus!

I got my screen nice and large and its a beautiful thing to play gameboy on my mac. However I am having issues with save states and battery saves. I honestly don't even know what either of those things means exactly. But either way, when ever I start up Fire Red Pokemon on Virtual Boy it returns me to the beginning as if I have never played, although I did save in the previous attempt to play. I'm going to search around on google to figure out if I am doing something wrong, but just in case I don't find an answer, I figured I would post here and see if any of you can help me! Thanks in advance for whatever info you can give me!
Which OS are you on? I've heard that 10.7 protects the Applications folder and may be preventing the state from being saved (I'm on 10.6 so I can't say whether that's true or not).
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:21 PM   #17
ChristisKing33
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Which OS are you on? I've heard that 10.7 protects the Applications folder and may be preventing the state from being saved (I'm on 10.6 so I can't say whether that's true or not).
I am running OS 10.7, so I guess that could be it. Any idea of a solution to that?

edit: And thanks for responding! =]

Last edited by ChristisKing33; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Thanking another member.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:49 PM   #18
Nermal

Wouldn't have a clue, I'm afraid; I don't have 10.7.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:39 AM   #19
ChristisKing33
macrumors newbie

No worries! I appreciate all the help man, have a good one!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:02 AM   #20
ultimatespirit
macrumors newbie

Christisking33, since all of the data is stored inside the folder you placed in the applications folder of your computer. You *should* be able to just move it to the desktop or another folder and it'll work. If the emulator works, but it still doesn't save then it is some other more specific problem. I can't check for certain though as I'm still on 10.6.8, hope this helps you.
ultimatespirit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:14 AM   #21
justwright
macrumors newbie

I'm running OSX 10.7.2 and MacBoyAdvance crashes every time I try to open roms that ran perfectly on VisualBoyAdvance on Snow Leopard any help on how to fix this or a way to work around it would be greatly appreciated!
justwright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:14 AM   #22
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou1 so1di3r View Post
I was using the snesx or something and that doesn't work now that I've upgraded to lion either.
The latest version of SNES9X runs perfectly under Lion.

Quote:
I've ways been looking for a PS1 emulator, never played FFXII and always wanted too.
FFXII (12) isn't a PS1 game...
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:00 AM   #23
seenew
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to seenew Send a message via MSN to seenew
So... VBA and VBA-M both don't work in 10.7... Has anyone found another solution? I need my Pokemon fix....
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:25 PM   #24
gracandr
macrumors newbie

Restore windows?

Hi, im kind of a techno-peasant, and id like to start playing the Macboy Advance contraption. I downloaded it but every time i try to open it, it asks me if id like to restore the windows. Ive tried both options but is doesnt seem to work. Does anyone have any insight as to what i can do?
gracandr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:45 PM   #25
npockoski
macrumors newbie

So I just joined this site. I have wanted to play pokemon for a while now ever since I upgraded to lion. I am using the intel version of VisualBoyAdvance that was put out (THANK YOU!) and I still am having problems saving files? Did anyone find out why it won't save? I'm running 10.7 and I seem to be out of luck. Sorry that I'm not all techy and stuff but I just wanted to play pokemon the other night.
npockoski is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion