Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:25 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Launches Business App Store for Volume iOS App Purchases

Last week, Apple announced that it would be debuting a new volume purchasing program to allow businesses to purchase iOS in volume and distribute them within their organizations.

As noted by The Loop and in a brief announcement on Apple's site, the program has now gone live.
Quote:
Businesses in the United States can now enroll in the Volume Purchase Program and purchase your apps in volume for distribution within their organization. You can also offer custom apps that provide tailored solutions to customers who have a Volume Purchase Program account.
The program supports not only standard App Store releases but also custom B2B apps. Apps custom-built for a company by outside developers or other businesses can be purchased privately through the new volume purchasing program.

Full details on how to participate in the program are available in a guide for businesses (PDF).

Article Link: Apple Launches Business App Store for Volume iOS App Purchases
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:54 PM   #2
coder12
macrumors 6502

So is this just for business, or is it anybody buying in large quantities? I'm getting misguided senses as I read the article over and over...
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:27 PM   #3
S.Jobs
macrumors member

Good, trying to get my dad's business slowly switch over to all apple
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:19 AM   #4
Don Kosak
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder12 View Post
So is this just for business, or is it anybody buying in large quantities? I'm getting misguided senses as I read the article over and over...
Just for business.

The small part of this news is that companies can buy "stock" Apps for businesses, say a Financial Dash Board App, with a price break for large purchases. I understand there is a minimum price level and different qualifications to list your Business App.

The big part is that developers can now interface with businesses and offer customized "spins" of an application. So if I do a "Visual Part Ordering App" for automobile companies -- I could have a special version for "Ford", "GM", "Toyota", etc. Or I could do a different version of the above financial App for any customer that wants to pay for it.

This dovetails with the existing corporate iOS App distribution and provisioning tools, so Companies with large iPhone/iPad deployments can manage devices and Apps more efficiently.

Yeah, it's big news for both large enterprise customers and for business App developers.

HP and RIM are going to have a fight on their hands to keep control of the mobile corporate market.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:44 AM   #5
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder12 View Post
Create a Sole Proprietorship or LLC.
mdriftmeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:17 PM   #6
winston1236
macrumors 65816

about time really, but better late than never
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion