Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

I just care that what I sell every day are authentic Apple products, and that our customers don't come back to me to complain about the quality of the products.
This is what an employee at the fake Apple Store in Kunming, China told a reporter for the Wall Street Journal.

IMG_65331-500x375.jpg

The WSJ couldn't get in touch with the owner or manager of the store, but did get in touch with a salesperson who confirmed that the store was not an authorized reseller -- but did sell genuine Apple products at the same prices as those on Apple's website.

The salesperson said it didn't "make much of a difference" if they were authorized. Instead, as the quote above illustrates, the staff in the store simply want to do a good job selling Apple products -- just like the authentic employees at an Apple Retail Store.

beijingstore-500x333.jpg

Apple Store Sanlitun, Beijing, China
Regarding the counterfeit stores, the salesperson felt his "store should be one of the best in terms of scale and the level of professionalism," noting that the employee t-shirts and name lanyards give it a similar look and feel to the authentic Apple Stores in China, in Beijing and Shanghai.

Article Link: Fake Apple Store Employee: We Just Want To Do A Good Job

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Good intentions are nice.

Unfortunately, they aren't always smart.

The salesperson said it didn't "make much of a difference" if they were authorized.

Uh yeah . . . it does.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Haha, and the warranty of the sold products are...?

How can this store still exist? It can only be a matter of time. :confused:

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Good intentions are nice.

Unfortunately, they aren't always smart.

The salesperson said it didn't "make much of a difference" if they were authorized.

Uh yeah . . . it does.

Yeah, I'm sure Big Brother is going to be pissed off about extra sales.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep. The problem is undoubtedly where the products are being sourced from for them to be able to be sold at a price profitable to the shop owner.

Back door of Foxconn I'd imagine.

edit: Sorry jackc, didn't spot your post before I started flapping' my gums.

teloche

macrumors member
May 8, 2011
that aint true love, i cant stand it when people love something so much that they actually plagiarize, steal or claim it.,yet its someone elses to begin with and that first person does it better, geeze, its what apple is about!

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
I wonder if they have to fake a sense of pretentious smugness required of real apple store employees...

teloche

macrumors member
May 8, 2011
Yep. The problem is undoubtedly where the products are being sourced from for them to be able to be sold at a price profitable to the shop owner.

i wonder is this store is run by Samsung, cant beat them join them policy

i literally cant stand them

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I wonder how apple is dealing with returns. It seems reasonable to expect most of the customers had no idea this was not a real store.

If the products cost about the same and are actually Apple these people are Apple customers and will most likley continue to buy Apple unless Apple drops the ball.

They do need to go after the store owner.

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
Products might be real

You all have to remember - since Apple _makes_ their product in that corrupt dictatorial hell-hole, there's an excellent chance the products in the fake store are actually real.

The products could have been taken off a truck, or perhaps the assembly line was run a bit longer to generate some "extra" stock, off the books. This has been a longstanding practice of offshored manufacturing operations.

I sure wish we would start making things in free countries, again! (Of course, we have to clear up corruption, over-regulation and over-taxation over here in the west first before that will happen.)

creepy crab

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2011
surely if they really are doing such a professional job, with sales figures to match and low return rates, Apple should just authorize them as a genuine reseller... Why bite the hand that feeds?

GJSchaller

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
White Plains, NY

This is the key point. If they are obtaining the product through legal channels, it's one thing. But if they are using Apple's designs and technology, and not licensing them from Apple (i.e. - they're asking Foxconn to run a few extra thousand of each product on the sly), that's gonna be a huge legal issue.

We already have seen the issue with the white iPhone cases being slipped out and sold online - this might be the same thing, on a much larger scale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.