Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt-London

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Hi

I currently have an iMac running Leopard and a mac mini with Snow Leopard.

I want to upgrade the iMac shortly to Lion so I first have to upgrade it to Snow Leopard. Can I use the Snow Leopard install DVD that came with my mac mini on my iMac? The disk has mac mini stamped on it so will it work and am I allowed?

Thanks

Matt

chipmullins

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Jonesville, Virginia
Clean Install

Hi

I currently have an iMac running Leopard and a mac mini with Snow Leopard.

I want to upgrade the iMac shortly to Lion so I first have to upgrade it to Snow Leopard. Can I use the Snow Leopard install DVD that came with my mac mini on my iMac? The disk has mac mini stamped on it so will it work and am I allowed?

Thanks

Matt

Hello Matt. You can't use the Mac Mini's disk for Mac OS X Snow Leopard, but there is still a way to get around this. You can download the Mac OS X Lion installation on your Mac Mini that has Snow Leopard on it. Once you have the installation application on your Mac Mini, you can burn the .dmg to a disk. Once you have the Mac OS X Lion .dmg on a disk, you can simply put it into the iMac and install a fresh copy. This should let you bypass the need for Snow Leopard. You should back up everything before you install Lion, because you'll be doing a clean install, not an upgrade. I hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.